• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NFL Draft

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/156198-espn-mock-draft-49ers-selecting-safety-2nd-round/

My initial thought is we need a CB followed by a C or OG, but this kind of player could easily be best value. IF so, do add the most talent you can and not get caught up with Need.

With so many Free Agents this off-season, don't see us trading up into Day 1.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wrote this in the Miami signs Niner OC thread:

Maybe this should be in another thread, but with these extra 3rd rounders, does anyone know what the hit rate of replacement level or even just above as it would seem like a good round to get many extra picks cause if they hit they will be cheap against the cap. It seems high enough to get good athletes not early not late in the Draft.

Is there any feel, that 3rd picks could be loaded up on to get cheap replacement or near replacement players at certain positions? Has the league or the Niners done well on these picks that could be throw in(s) or trade ups or downs to get extra 3rd picks. If it is a good return for players in this round, it could in theory get cap savings even for only 2 or 3 year contributors. Or on the other hand I could be full of it with this conjecture. :noidea:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the Niners using our extra picks to move up into rd 1 or even move up in rd 2. If anything, I think we'd move down.

Hell, outside of Deebo in 2019, our 2nd rd picks go from suck-to-below-average. So, I think we're better off going with the shotgun approach of using the 2 and the both 3s to solidify the CB and interior OL. I could even see us moving back down to grab a few extra picks in rd 4 or 5 or even picks in 2023.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It is always good to replace players with good rookies, but we don't know if they'll become good rookies or when? Odds are 3rd rounders (end of 3rd) will not be good starters in their rookie season. We might depend on a rookie or maybe even two, but otherwise need to fill in with better talent. Easier said than done, i know.

We have a good nucleus right now and we're in the SB window, we have to start "mortgaging the future" (restructuring) because it looks like a solid two year SB window? We could get LUCKY with solid draft classes but the odds don't favor it. I say this based on the track record of this regime, too many misses up high.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/156330-nflcom-3-round-mock-draft-49ers-doubling-cornerbacks/

First two picks are corners which is ok if both are best value on the board. It is also ok if one is targetted for the NB where we need to get younger, quicker.

Otherwise, i'd think the second pick would need to be an OT, OG, or C? Odds are very low you get a quality OT at this point so realistically it'll be a C or OG.

Another 'need' spot is Safety with more range, coverage skils, and instincts, because that's todays NFL. The Safety has to do a lot and not only are ours old, but Tartt is a FA. Not counting on Hufanga as a starter, because he's noticibly slow back there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/lis...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

This is why we have to start mortgaging the future, we have a quality nucleus and the SB window is now. When we re-fill the starting spots, we can't just go with poor players (Brunskill and Compton), cheap FA's, or expect rookies to do well. We need to refill right OG, OT, and maybe C? We have to refill NT, NB, SS, and one CB. We don't know if we can re-sign Tomlinson nor key depth pieces like Arden Key?

This is where we're reminded of how poor drafting caught up to us. If we knew Kinlaw, Banks, and Tavarius Moore we're good, we'd be that much more ahead. Similar (not same) as for Trey Sermon and formerly Jalen Hurd. I name these players because they were picked in the first 3 rounds, rounds where you'd expect a higher success rate.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 2022 NFL Draft class is loaded at edge defender, offensive tackle, cornerback and wide receiver. Positional value and a league-wide quarterback need could push as many as three signal-callers into the first round, but that need could also be filled via a couple of blockbuster trades.

Fortunately for us because we could use an edge defender (speed rusher), offensive tackle, and cornerback. Also, fortunately for us the QB class isn't loaded at the top.

I know we need an OG and maybe C, ie interior OL. But if best value is in an OT, fine to draft him first.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers have the difficult task this year of navigating an NFL draft without a first-round pick. They traded their 2022 first-round selection in the deal that moved them up to No. 3 in last year’s draft. While not having a pick on Day 1 is typically daunting, NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah had some good news for teams in that predicament this year.

Jeremiah on Friday in a conference call laid out why he thinks teams without a selection on the first day of the draft aren’t in a bad spot.

“I think this is a really good depth draft, especially when you get into the second, third, fourth round,” Jeremiah said. “There’s a lot of quality there, a lot of starters.”

Relying on talent later in drafts is part of the philosophy the Los Angeles Rams rode to a championship this year. They moved high picks to secure top-end talent, then built out the rest of their roster via good drafting on Days 2 and 3.

The 49ers will have to operate a similar way over the next couple years, and Jeremiah thinks that’ll become more prevalent in the coming drafts.

“I think that’s going to catch on around the league, too, is people are going to realize when you target the right positions outside of round 1, you can survive without a first-round pick,” Jeremiah said.

San Francisco has actually done a nice job identifying talent outside of Round 1. Deebo Samuel, George Kittle and Fred Warner were all taken after the first round. So were players like DJ Jones, Dre Greenlaw and Elijah Mitchell.

This really isn’t a new thing for the 49ers who’ve built a nice roster with some later picks and undrafted players. Now they’ll just have to do it without a crack at a top-32 talent. They have plenty of holes to fill so taking more swings in the middle rounds may wind up bearing fruit for them the way it did for the Rams.

Good if true, cause we don't need to trade up. Even if a trade for JG doesn't net a 2nd rounder, we might still get a talent.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
However, their specific position needs should mostly go out the window when the 49ers are making their picks. They’re in a place where they just need good players. Need should play a little bit of a role as the determining factor between two players, but the better player should always be the pick regardless of position.

I say this every off-season too, the draft should be more on the 'Best Player Available' side. We can't go strictly BPA, but mostly. The object of the draft is to add talent over the next 4 years minimum. It isn't to fill the roster for the upcoming season, but in the event of close value, then go Need.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If a RB is the clear Best Value at that point, ok with me. Otherwise, do we really need another RB in rounds 3 or 4? I think we should draft two CB's or one CB and one NB. Even if one is a late flyer, try out young talent at these spots.

Rohan's Mock Draft

Round 2, Pick 61: OL Alec Lindstrom(Boston College)
Round 3, Pick 102: CB Tariq Woolen(UTSA)
Round 4, Pick 126: RB Jerome Ford(Cincinnati)
Round 4, Pick 133: DE De'Angelo Malone(Western Kentucky)
Round 5, Pick 172: S Sterling Weatherford(Miami OH)
Round 7, Pick 252: WR Danny Gray(SMU)
Round 7, Pick 255: OT Jordan Tucker(UNC)

Marco's Mock Draft

Round 2, Pick 61: OL Alec Lindstrom(Boston College)
Round 3, Pick 102: RB Jerome Ford(Cincinnati)
Round 4, Pick 126: WR Calvin Austin III(Memphis)
Round 4, Pick 133: DE De'Angelo Malone(Western Kentucky)
Round 5, Pick 172: S Sterling Weatherford(Miami OH)
Round 7, Pick 252: DT Noah Elliss(Idaho)
Round 7, Pick 255: OT Jordan Tucker(UNC)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Trey Lance had been in this draft, highly likely he'd be the consensus No. 1 pick correct? I would think someone else would've made a mega-trade to get him now? Jacksonville doesn't need another QB so too bad, they'd have gotten the big haul instead.

To sooth our lack of a 1st round pick, we can view our 1st round pick as the top prospect - Trey Lance. Not only did we 'select' the highest rated draft prospect, but he already has a little NFL experience.

Lastly, SMALL consolation but at least we gave away the 29th pick as opposed to top 10 ala Seattle. Worse, Seattle gave it way for a Safety?!

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a minute fellas...nice to be back.

To me, we need to target Chandler Jones in FA opposite Bosa, maybe look at Settle to replace DJ who I will assume will command top dollar in FA. We also need to make serious investment in our OL, which has Mack on his last legs, McGlinchey coming back from an injury that has a 50% recovery rate, Laken on the FA market, and Brunskill playing horribly out of position unless he's playing Donald.

I'd also love to go after DJ Reed to help solidify our secondary. Moseley, Reed, Ambry, with Denoir working slot work and any draft picks they can use to help infuse some depth.

This draft is luckily heavy in everything we need: OL, secondary, Edge, WR

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's been a minute fellas...nice to be back.

To me, we need to target Chandler Jones in FA opposite Bosa, maybe look at Settle to replace DJ who I will assume will command top dollar in FA. We also need to make serious investment in our OL, which has Mack on his last legs, McGlinchey coming back from an injury that has a 50% recovery rate, Laken on the FA market, and Brunskill playing horribly out of position unless he's playing Donald.

I'd also love to go after DJ Reed to help solidify our secondary. Moseley, Reed, Ambry, with Denoir working slot work and any draft picks they can use to help infuse some depth.

This draft is luckily heavy in everything we need: OL, secondary, Edge, WR
Tru Dat, it seems like this draft will have talent at these very spots we need. Even thru Round 3, we might still get a decent OT. All value 'equal', you have to take an OT first, followed by C.

I'm not as high on needing a WR, for me that might mean waiting till Round 5 if at all.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tru Dat, it seems like this draft will have talent at these very spots we need. Even thru Round 3, we might still get a decent OT. All value 'equal', you have to take an OT first, followed by C.

I'm not as high on needing a WR, for me that might mean waiting till Round 5 if at all.

I'm not big on getting a WR either, although we only have 3 signed through this year so we need bodies. I'd love for our first few picks to focus on OL/Edge early and CB/WR late.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here’s an updated look at their draft picks:

Round 2, Pick 61
Round 3, Pick 93
Round 3, Pick 102 (compensatory)*
Round 3, Pick 105 (compensatory)*

Round 4, Pick 134
Round 5, Pick 172
Round 6, Pick 187 (via Denver)
Round 6, Pick 220 (compensatory)
Round 6, Pick 221 (compensatory)
Round 7, Pick 262 (compensatory)
*One of two picks that can be dealt to Miami as part of Trey Lance trade.

That leaves San Francisco with nine selections and plenty of ammo to move up and down the board, especially on Day 2 of the draft. With several key needs to address with younger, cost-controlled talent, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the 49ers try and climb up in the second and third rounds, with a jump into the back of Round 1 not out of the question.

I think earlier they projected all of the late comp picks in Round 7? So this is an improvement having two in Round 6.

Then their is the JG trade, which may or may not involve a 2023 pick? I would be ok with a Conditional 2023 pick, pending the playing time of JG.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s an updated look at their draft picks:

Round 2, Pick 61
Round 3, Pick 93
Round 3, Pick 102 (compensatory)*
Round 3, Pick 105 (compensatory)*

Round 4, Pick 134
Round 5, Pick 172
Round 6, Pick 187 (via Denver)
Round 6, Pick 220 (compensatory)
Round 6, Pick 221 (compensatory)
Round 7, Pick 262 (compensatory)
*One of two picks that can be dealt to Miami as part of Trey Lance trade.

That leaves San Francisco with nine selections and plenty of ammo to move up and down the board, especially on Day 2 of the draft. With several key needs to address with younger, cost-controlled talent, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the 49ers try and climb up in the second and third rounds, with a jump into the back of Round 1 not out of the question.

I think earlier they projected all of the late comp picks in Round 7? So this is an improvement having two in Round 6.

Then their is the JG trade, which may or may not involve a 2023 pick? I would be ok with a Conditional 2023 pick, pending the playing time of JG.
It's crazy to see that the best comp picks we've gotten lately have been for coaches and FO losses. We'll be getting another 3rd comp next year (losing 2 minorities at once nets three 3rds instead of 2). And we'll end up having extra 3rd rd picks for a few years!

McDaniels = 3rd rd comp pick in 2022 and 2023.
Saleh & Mayhew = 3rd rd comp picks in 2021, 2022, and 2023.

This year, three 3rd rd picks, and next year, 2023, we should have three as well. And that's before we get anything for Jimmy.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We should be pulling as many resources to ease Trey's acclimation to the NFL, starting with our OL. As long as that is a focus, everything else IMO is secondary. No pun intended.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We should be pulling as many resources to ease Trey's acclimation to the NFL, starting with our OL. As long as that is a focus, everything else IMO is secondary. No pun intended.
I agree, for Lance to improve quickly, he needs time back there. Granted easier said than done now that Tomlinson has left.

Now that we signed Ward, yeah the focus shifts more to the O-line.

BTW - I'm one for value when drafting, so wouldn't "force" offensive linemen in Rounds 2 and 3. Just fortunately this draft seems deep enough for offensive linemen.