• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles to Pick up Nick Foles' 20M Dollar Option

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has Wentz done for the Eagles since 2016, his rookie year that Foles hasn't done the last two years?
'
- Wentz has gotten them to the postseason in 2017. Something that Foles arguably could not have done (and definitely not have them set up for HFA)
- While playing badly (in the opinion of many), playing with a more defective team (players absent or coming back from injury) putting up similar or better numbers than Foles in 2018.
- Not bottoming out to the low level that Foles can do (and has shown in the past two seasons).
- Being much cheaper.
- Actually completed a full season as a starter (which Foles has NEVER done) in the NFL.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'
- Wentz has gotten them to the postseason in 2017. Something that Foles arguably could not have done (and definitely not have them set up for HFA)
- While playing badly (in the opinion of many), playing with a more defective team (players absent or coming back from injury) putting up similar or better numbers than Foles in 2018.
- Not bottoming out to the low level that Foles can do (and has shown in the past two seasons).
- Being much cheaper.
- Actually completed a full season as a starter (which Foles has NEVER done) in the NFL.
Okay fair enough, as I stated in my earlier comment it was/is just my opinion. Maybe the Eagles can keep both Foles and Wentz?

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay maybe the Eagles can keep both Foles and Wentz?

Zero shot of that happening imo … either a tag and trade or Foles just walks. I would put the chances of Foles just allowed to walk at 80%. If Roseman can get even an early to mid 3rd rounder in trade it would be considered a win for the Eagles in my book. We'll still likely get a 3rd rounder in compensation in the 2020 Draft.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of moves the team will make to drop 30+ in cap space. Unfortunately it may mean losing one of their best defensive players in graham.
Problem is the team is already 10 players short of the 53 man roster. For every player cut for cap purposes you have to find a suitable replacement. At this point the Eagles will have to find a few bargain FAs who outplay their potential and hit on 5 or 6 rookies in the draft.

I can't see them keeping both QBs and I really doubt they'd trade Wentz.

They may get a buyer for Foles, hell the got a buyer for Bradford and most of us thought that was impossible.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is widely misunderstood by most of you. The team and Foles have what is known as a mutual option deal. Both sides have to agree for him to remain in Philly under the current contract.

The Eagles can exercise their option to keep Foles. But Foles can opt to become a free agent by merely paying back a couple million to Philly, and he probably will, given the market for QBs. He will get a huge contract. Did you all watch the Senior Bowl? There's garbage at QB this offseason.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get a kick out of people saying no other team will pay the big bucks or give up picks for Foles. Teams will sell their future for QB's with any resume (even an average one). Hell, just look at last seasons signings for proof. These days 20-25 mil is the going rate for QB's. Hell, there are some piss poor ones out there signing deals for that much. The Eagles will have suitors making offers. Would not be surprised to see them net a 2nd rounder this season and possibly something in a mid round next year. Possibly based on if he gets that team to the play-offs or more. Miami and Jax are desperate and may want someone like him for a couple years if they draft a kid in a later round to develop.
This is an easy move to make for the Eagles and regardless of what anybody thinks, they aren't going to give up on Wentz. They have too much invested now and another year on the rookie deal. Foles will either accept the option or tagged if necessary and traded before the official new year starts in March.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is widely misunderstood by most of you. The team and Foles have what is known as a mutual option deal. Both sides have to agree for him to remain in Philly under the current contract.

The Eagles can exercise their option to keep Foles. But Foles can opt to become a free agent by merely paying back a couple million to Philly, and he probably will, given the market for QBs. He will get a huge contract. Did you all watch the Senior Bowl? There's garbage at QB this offseason.
This looks like the Eagles way of recouping the Bonus they paid to Foles.
Not such a standup organization after all.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They literally just gave him a million that they didn't have to.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, they are terrible for signing him to a mutual option contract either side can get out of, the bastards.

Now, if they franchise tag him, that is more of a control issue--getting him out of the NFC East to Jacksonville or somewhere in the AFC. I hope that's what happens because I would hate to see him wearing Giants colors and throwing to ODB and Saquon Barkley.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They literally just gave him a million that they didn't have to.
No shit Sherlock. Now if he wants the right to FREELY negotiate with other teams he has to pay the Eagles 2 Million.

Shitty move by the Eagles unless they plan on keeping him.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they are terrible for signing him to a mutual option contract either side can get out of, the bastards.

Now, if they franchise tag him, that is more of a control issue--getting him out of the NFC East to Jacksonville or somewhere in the AFC. I hope that's what happens because I would hate to see him wearing Giants colors and throwing to ODB and Saquon Barkley.
I wouldn't worry about that @Iggloo. No way do I see him in a Gman uni. Eli will play one more year and that team has other more pressing needs like Oline and D. It will be an AFC team for sure. my opinion only, mind you.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit Sherlock. Now if he wants the right to FREELY negotiate with other teams he has to pay the Eagles 2 Million.

Shitty move by the Eagles unless they plan on keeping him.

You are reaching bad.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay fair enough, as I stated in my earlier comment it was/is just my opinion. Maybe the Eagles can keep both Foles and Wentz?

I would be stunned - both considering the cap and the chemistry in the locker room.