• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2019)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps. They can also be reinforced by some AA players
I think a few guys will be called up quickly and replaced by guys from Richmond or San Jose (replacing them with rookie league and short A ball guys won't happen like normal since this is a playoff team) but they won't remove more than 2 or 3 from the AAA roster, in my opinion.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a few guys will be called up quickly and replaced by guys from Richmond or San Jose (replacing them with rookie league and short A ball guys won't happen like normal since this is a playoff team) but they won't remove more than 2 or 3 from the AAA roster, in my opinion.

Hank Schulman is speculating that they will call up Garcia and promote Bart to Sacramento.... Might have to go to a playoff game if that's the case.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8/31

Bart 2-5 with 2 RBI's (hitting .307 in Richmond)

Hjelle 5 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 W, 2 K

In Augusta, Teng goes 7 innings, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 W, 11 K (ERA 1.55)

Augusta one win from the playoffs!

San Jose got clobbered by Stockton, 12-5, putting off clinching a playoff berth.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8/31

Bart 2-5 with 2 RBI's (hitting .307 in Richmond)

Hjelle 5 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 W, 2 K

In Augusta, Teng goes 7 innings, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 W, 11 K (ERA 1.55)

Augusta one win from the playoffs!

San Jose got clobbered by Stockton, 12-5, putting off clinching a playoff berth.

The two RBI's were part of a walkoff for a rare victory for Richmond.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come nobody mentioned Darren Ford?

But seriously, after I saw him play (in person) my belief that he would stick with *any* MLB team plummeted - because of his fielding (or, rather, lack thereof).

Edit: Oops - Wait, my bad, I was thinking of Fred Lewis. You have to have a fantastic bat to counter his extreme defensive ineptitude, and he didn't have it. One year a friend's boss, season ticket holder, was so busy that he couldn't go to many games and offered the unused ones to my friend. She wasn't really a baseball fan, but knew I was and so I went to 20-30 games that year. So I saw Lewis misplay balls a LOT that year - the stuff you don't see on TV. Lewis would often take multiple steps in the wrong direction when the ball came off the bat and only managed to *barely* catch the ball because of his speed. Also, NOT catch the ball. It was painful to watch. I got to know the guy sitting behind me a bit and we would sometimes bet ($1 a shot) on how many steps Lewis would take in the wrong direction, AND whether or not he would catch the ball. A very depressing betting game, BTW.

Last edited:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come nobody mentioned Darren Ford?

But seriously, after I saw him play (in person) my belief that he would stick with *any* MLB team plummeted - because of his fielding (or, rather, lack thereof).

Edit: Oops - Wait, my bad, I was thinking of Fred Lewis. You have to have a fantastic bat to counter his extreme defensive ineptitude, and he didn't have it. One year a friend's boss, season ticket holder, was so busy that he couldn't go to many games and offered the unused ones to my friend. She wasn't really a baseball fan, but knew I was and so I went to 20-30 games that year. So I saw Lewis misplay balls a LOT that year - the stuff you don't see on TV. Lewis would often take multiple steps in the wrong direction when the ball came off the bat and only managed to *barely* catch the ball because of his speed. Also, NOT catch the ball. It was painful to watch. I got to know the guy sitting behind me a bit and we would sometimes bet ($1 a shot) on how many steps Lewis would take in the wrong direction, AND whether or not he would catch the ball. A very depressing betting game, BTW.

Yeah I remember Fred being rough out there, even on TV it just never seemed like he was comfortable out there. Too bad because his bat was solid (his 2008 was actually good, especially in relation the the recent outfield bats we've trotted out there).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With San Jose's victory today, they were able to clinch a playoff spot. That means 5 of the 8 Giants' affiliates are playing in the post-season this year. Been a long time since that has happened.

AAA Sacramento
A+ San Jose
A Augusta
A- Salem
AZL Giants Orange

AA Richmond, AZL Giants Black and DSL Giants were the unlucky ones.

Reactions: LHG
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With San Jose's victory today, they were able to clinch a playoff spot. That means 5 of the 8 Giants' affiliates are playing in the post-season this year. Been a long time since that has happened.

AAA Sacramento
A+ San Jose
A Augusta
A- Salem
AZL Giants Orange

AA Richmond, AZL Giants Black and DSL Giants were the unlucky ones.

Seems to me like Richmond was not unlucky, they were cursed. They finished over 30 games under .500. Perhaps it was due to players moving through the system. But man, what a terrible performing team!

The DSL Giants started off like 12-2, and then the wheels came off. Some promising players down there, but hard to determine how they will fare at higher levels.

Can't wait to see Bart and Ramos at the AFL! Remember, it starts early this year. I will be there September 25-29. Alas, early in the AFL, all the games are day games. After the 2nd or third week, there are two day games and one night game, so you can catch two games per day. Alas. I have a conference on Sandy Eggo the 30th to October 2nd.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me like Richmond was not unlucky, they were cursed. They finished over 30 games under .500. Perhaps it was due to players moving through the system. But man, what a terrible performing team!

The DSL Giants started off like 12-2, and then the wheels came off. Some promising players down there, but hard to determine how they will fare at higher levels.

Can't wait to see Bart and Ramos at the AFL! Remember, it starts early this year. I will be there September 25-29. Alas, early in the AFL, all the games are day games. After the 2nd or third week, there are two day games and one night game, so you can catch two games per day. Alas. I have a conference on Sandy Eggo the 30th to October 2nd.
I wouldn't blame the debacle of the season on roster shuffling. Compared to Sacramento and San Jose, movement has been almost non-existent. There have only been 7 position players promoted to Sacramento. Of those 7, only 3 were before August (Chris Shaw, Levi Michael and Brock Stassi). Ryan Howard did spend some time in AAA before August as well but was brought back to Richmond and only recently (last week) got called back up to fill roster holes from September call ups. Shaw, for sure, was a bat that was sorely missed in there lineup but Michael and Stassi combined for 151 at-bats before their promotions. Michael's OPS was .566 at his promotion, Stassi's was .864. Stassi went down with an injury 3 games into his AAA promotion. The only other position players to be removed from their roster was 4 guys who were released and another 2 who were demoted to San Jose. There were only 2 guys who were on the IL at the end of the season but neither performed well or even had much playing time (Ryder Jones and CJ McElroy).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacramento lost Game 1 of the PCL Semifinals, 9-3. Halstead (normally a reliever) started and threw 4 innings in a bullpen game. Gerber was 3-5 with 2 RBI.

San Jose lost Game 1 of the Cal League Division Series, 3-1. Phillips started and gave up 3 runs in 6 innings. Baby Giants only had 4 hits, Villar with the only RBI.

Augusta lost Game 1 of the SAL Semifinals, 2-1. The Green Jackets only got one hit (a homer), and committed two errors. Guidino threw 5.2 innings, 1 ER, 1 W, 8 K.

Salem-Kiser lost Game 1 of the NWL semifinals, 2-1. Like Augusta, they only have one hit (and three errors). Runs in the 8th and 9th cost them the game. Rodriguez with the homer in the 5th. Castro and Perry with 7 shutout innings, Figueroa with the BS and the loss.

Game twos tomorrow, hoping for a better showing.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacramento lost Game 1 of the PCL Semifinals, 9-3. Halstead (normally a reliever) started and threw 4 innings in a bullpen game. Gerber was 3-5 with 2 RBI.

San Jose lost Game 1 of the Cal League Division Series, 3-1. Phillips started and gave up 3 runs in 6 innings. Baby Giants only had 4 hits, Villar with the only RBI.

Augusta lost Game 1 of the SAL Semifinals, 2-1. The Green Jackets only got one hit (a homer), and committed two errors. Guidino threw 5.2 innings, 1 ER, 1 W, 8 K.

Salem-Kiser lost Game 1 of the NWL semifinals, 2-1. Like Augusta, they only have one hit (and three errors). Runs in the 8th and 9th cost them the game. Rodriguez with the homer in the 5th. Castro and Perry with 7 shutout innings, Figueroa with the BS and the loss.

Game twos tomorrow, hoping for a better showing.
Not a pretty first day of minor league playoffs for the Giants' org. But hey, at least there are teams from the farm actually in playoffs this year!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacramento WON Game 2 of the PCL Semifinals, 8-6. Avelino was 2-5 with 2 RBI. McCarthy was 3-4 with 2 RBI. Houchins was 2-2 with 2 RBI. Chase Johnson pitched 5 innings and gave up 2 runs. Venditte came on and gave up 3 runs (2 homers) in one inning. Winkler and Jerez finished off the win.

San Jose is lost Game 2 of the Cal League Division Series. They loaded the bases with one out in the 8th and did not score.

Augusta plays Game 2 tomorrow.

Salem-Kiser lost Game 2 of the NWL semifinals, 6-3. They gave up two first inning runs, seemingly a point of emphasis in the organization, and committed two errors. They hit a little better than last night.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacramento is getting crushed in Game 3 of the PCL Semifinals, 8-3 in the 8th. They were down 7-1 in the 3rd.

San Jose is getting crushed in Game 3 of the Cal League Division Series, 13-6 in the 7th. They gave up 7 runs in the first inning (a point of emphasis in the organization, I guess).

Augusta lost Game 2 of the SAL semifinals, 4-2. Teng had his first rough outing as a Giant, giving up 3 runs in 5 innings.

Salem-Kiser's season is over.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Saturday, the Rivercats rallied to a 5-3 win over Las Vegas to tie the PCL Semifinal series, 2-2.

Today, the Rivercats took series with a 7-3 win. They scored 4 in the first inning and never looked back. Avelino, McCarthy and Houchins with homers. Barager pitched 5 innings and gave up only one run, while striking out 8. Okert, Winkler and Franco with scoreless relief after Cyr gave up two runs in the 6th.

The RiverCats will play Round Rock in the PCL finals on Tuesday beginning at Raley Field!

:thumb:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A wild one in Sacramento in the PCL finals.

Sac was ahead 5-3, then RR went ahead, 6-5, then Sac went ahead 7-6, then Okert gave up a solo homer in the 9th to tie the game, which is where it is right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Sacramento wins Game 1 of the PCL Finals, 8-7, as Avelino doubles home Freeman with the winning run in the bottom of the 9th.

:yes:

Francisco Pena (c) was 4-4 with 2 runs and 3 RBI. Heyward was 2-4 with 2 RBI.

Adon pitched a scoreless 8th, and the Cyr finished off the 9th after Okert gave up the game tying homer and then walked the next batter.

:clap: