• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does the 2013 Seahawks defense deserve to be considered one of the best ever?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 02 Bucs are in 'the discussion' and they were basically legit for 1 season. Seattle's D last season was pretty legit too.

I agree! I remember the 02 Bucs all too well. And yea the 'Hawks were good last season. Even before that! I remember saying to my Seattle buddy in 2011, "The Seahawks are going to have the best defense in the NFL in a few years". And I wasn't wrong!

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate when people compare the 85 Bears Defense to the Steel Curtain. The 85 Bears D was a product of a brand new, never before seen, defensive scheme that completely changed the way that offenses operate. It only took a single offseason for offensive coordinators to figure out the weaknesses of that defensive scheme and exploit them. That defense was only dominant for a single season… Tiny in comparison to what the Steel Curtain accomplished.

But still, the 85 Bears came up with something that nobody had an answer for at the time. It was genius, and they dominated the entire league.

The 86 Bears defense was statistically just as good as in 85. Look it up. They simply got upset in the playoffs.

Next.

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nailed it. Would give Seattle the nod as best secondary though.

Sapp, Rice, McFarland, Brooks.... Seattle doesn't have anyone on their front 7 that even compares to that. If you gave the legion of boom the Bucs front 7, they'd have allowed 0 points the entire season.

I think that's probably fair. Brooks had 8 pick sixes that year, so it definitely wasn't all the secondary, but Barber, Lynch, and Jackson were bad men themselves.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nailed it. Would give Seattle the nod as best secondary though.

Sapp, Rice, McFarland, Brooks.... Seattle doesn't have anyone on their front 7 that even compares to that. If you gave the legion of boom the Bucs front 7, they'd have allowed 0 points the entire season.

That would be a Pro Bowl / HOF caliber defense… Not even funny what they would do to opposing offenses

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 86 Bears defense was statistically just as good as in 85. Look it up. They simply got upset in the playoffs.

Next.

From what I remember they weren't nearly as dominant. I guess I don't know my stats off the top of my head, but I know there was at least a considerable decline.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
loved the stuff between baldwin and sherman in the presser where they basically implied that all of the espn talking heads who marginalized them with talk about being "mediocre" and "pedestrian" and "appetizers" were idiots. lol.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am giving Seattle its due man. I am the one that created this fucking thread. Have some common sense.

I am just saying that there are 2 sides to every coin. It is obvious to anyone that watched the game that Seattle was the better team but it was also obvious to anyone that watched the game that Denver did not play up to their ability.

And that same defense made a lot of other offenses look like they were having bad days too. That's the point. Manning completed a record number of passes and yet they only scored 8. So did every one of those receivers fall down on their own? No. How many of the turnovers were on the offense and how many were simply being created by the defense? You know, that defense that lead the league in turnovers and created them in every game.

I'm simply saying I didn't see that many unforced errors by Denver. What I saw was a defense that completely shut down the running game and prevented any of those short passes from going up field for big gains.

I'm sorry, but that defense deserves the full credit of being the reason why Denver looked more like the Browns. They did it to many teams all year.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So everytime an upset happens...

calling seattle's win an upset and marginalizing their defense dominating an all-time great offense really displays your acumen. can't wait to see more.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the op has a loser/self-entitled mentality.

i'm guessing a salesman of some sort.

it's fine if you don't think the seahawks offense belongs in the conversation with greatest of all time, but at least have a rational argument for it.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So everytime an upset happens, the team that upset the other team was actually better all along? And everytime a team makes mistakes, it was always the other team that should be credited with causing it? That is idiotic to believe that.

Sometimes, teams have bad games. Yes, the opponent can and is a part of it. But teams also can play bad on their own too. I believe Denver did play poorly on its own and because of Seattle. It was a combination of both. Why do you think by me saying that that I am not giving Seattle credit?

Denver played bad offense because they were smothered, plain and simple.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you are saying that Seattle is SOO much better on average than Denver that the score we should expect to be every time is around the 43-8 one we saw tonight?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yep

it was by definition comprehensive

no legitimate sports fan would argue against it

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying that Seattle is SOO much better on average than Denver that the score we should expect to be every time is around the 43-8 one we saw tonight?

Or, maybe they just put together the right game plan and with two weeks simply peaked at the right time and just played up to their full potential.

I'm sure if this exact game was played 10 times that Seattle probably still wins at least 7 of them, but not by this margin. They had a few great bounces go their way.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, maybe they just put together the right game plan and with two weeks simply peaked at the right time and just played up to their full potential.

I'm sure if this exact game was played 10 times that Seattle probably still wins at least 7 of them, but not by this margin. They had a few great bounces go their way.

Yes. This game got away from Denver. Denver had some bad mistakes at inopportune times that either cost them points or put points on the scoreboard for Seattle. The safety, the pick 6 where Moreno simply does not see the ball where he would easily knock it down, and the kickoff return TD where coverage missed tackles inflated the score.

Seattle fans are thinking it is a slap in the face to say that Denver played poorly. It is simply not the case. I gave Seattle its praise.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. Seattles defense isnt always that dominating. But they were tonight, you know... When it mattered.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. This game got away from Denver. Denver had some bad mistakes at inopportune times that either cost them points or put points on the scoreboard for Seattle. The safety, the pick 6 where Moreno simply does not see the ball where he would easily knock it down, and the kickoff return TD where coverage missed tackles inflated the score.

Seattle fans are thinking it is a slap in the face to say that Denver played poorly. It is simply not the case. I gave Seattle its praise.

And I'll say it again that this defense did that all year so how is it not their doing? Lead the league in turnovers so why is it Denver's fault for giving them up? One INT was on Manning (or his receiver, but it did sail long). Manning was rattled in the pocket. He wasn't used to a defense moving his line nearly the way they did. You can blame manning, or even their line, but again they did that all year.

Sorry, but Denver did make some mistakes, but quite a few of them were cause directly by a smothering and physical defense that Denver simply wasn't ready for.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'll say it again that this defense did that all year so how is it not their doing? Lead the league in turnovers so why is it Denver's fault for giving them up? One INT was on Manning (or his receiver, but it did sail long). Manning was rattled in the pocket. He wasn't used to a defense moving his line nearly the way they did. You can blame manning, or even their line, but again they did that all year.

Sorry, but Denver did make some mistakes, but quite a few of them were cause directly by a smothering and physical defense that Denver simply wasn't ready for.

facts are anathema to fools

the person you're responding to actually believes the bullshit that he's saying

it's a loser mentality, and some kids just never get over it

pity him, don't try to discuss anything rationally with him

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I agree with that and that is why I said that Seattle was the better team.

However, this is where I think we disagree. You think that if Seattle's defense plays their A game, it automatically equates to Denver's offense playing their F game. On the other hand, I think that it is possible for both Seattle's defense and Denver's offense to play well. That did not happen.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
facts are anathema to fools

the person you're responding to actually believes the bullshit that he's saying

it's a loser mentality, and some kids just never get over it

pity him, don't try to discuss anything rationally with him

There is a reason I stopped replying (atleast seriously) to your banter at me in literally every thread I posted in or made. It is because you lack common sense in every way imaginable. You even thought I didn't think Seattle was deserving of honerable mention of top defense, even though I said they did.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm surprised by espn's overall commentary regarding the seahawks defense.

i was expecting them to sound more like the OP of this thread, but the former players, especially, are not going there at all.

good!