• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do the 49ers make a deal with the Devil & trade for Revis?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Damon Bruce (who sounded like a complete ignoramous in my opinion) was saying that the Niners HAVE to trade for Darrelle Revis just like the Niners traded for Deion to win it all.

Do you agree? I know there have been threads about this before, but now all we have is free agency & the draft. No more football 'til August. :(

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damon Bruce (who sounded like a complete ignoramous in my opinion) was saying that the Niners HAVE to trade for Darrelle Revis just like the Niners traded for Deion to win it all.

Do you agree? I know there have been threads about this before, but now all we have is free agency & the draft. No more football 'til August. :(

I hope it's not trading Smith there, but I don't know who else? Both sides would be best to trade Smith for the higher bid to KC and get Revis by trading someone else we don't want. But I don't know specifics and I know you don't care where Alex goes and what's best for him. Don't blame you and I wouldn't blame the Niners (but I'd feel bad for him, cause I choose to, millionaires on other teams especially should not be felt bad for, I suppose).

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm super wary of Revis. The guy will always cost top dollar and is coming off an ACL tear at a position where a lost step can mean everything. Last two CBs we paid big for were Clements and Rogers, and we've seen them both lose a step while here, so maybe I'm paranoid about that......but just a huge risk in my book.

But they need a good CB, if they judge him healthy enough and expect a few more *great* years from him then I'm OK with the extreme cost.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Clements played great for a couple of seasons IMO. I was a little skeptical of the Rogers siging; thought it was a pretty big contract for an older guy.

Revis will be 28 when the season starts. My instincts say don't do it, but it's tempting. Especially after a game like tonight's.

Ok, what about signing Mike Wallace? He'd immediately be the best WR on the team. And crabby would be an amazing #2.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They really need a speed guy, I'm hoping Jenkins can get his act together.....but obviously if he just sucks they need to move on quickly and Wallace would fit the bill.

Like Kruger was just saying, they could use a possession-type TE as well. Walker and Davis are redundant, both big play speed guys but not reliable.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would trading up for Milliner be an option?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IIRC, Deion was a free agent. I wouldn't mind having Revis for a season, but beyond that, his price is too high.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Would trading up for Milliner be an option?

I'd be open to that. I'd want 'em to cut Rogers if they did though. He's making like 7 million next season if I remember correctly.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here are some advantages to signing a guy like Mike Wallace instead of Revis IMO:

1. Wallace a year younger.
2. Wallace didn't just tear his ACL.
3. Wallace would be cheaper by about 4-5 million a season. Maybe even more; he didn't have a great contract year. But that's because Ben was injured a lot & he missed a game.
4. WRs typically seem to be able to play at a high level longer than CBs, so he won't out-live his contract.
5. A #1 WR is a bigger need than a #1 CB.
6. Wallace won't hold out every 2 seasons.
7. The Niners wouldn't have to trade anything for Wallace.

...Also, would Wallace be able to return kicks? He's one of the fastest players in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Wallace would be a great addition. Him and Kaep would hook up on many bombs.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Even though I can't help but feel if we had Revis in this game we would've won I still wouldn't overreact and pull out all stops to get him and give him everything he wants.

But it's obvious this team needs to do something about the secondary because the past couple of games they've been getting beat up.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I can't help but feel if we had Revis in this game we would've won I still wouldn't overreact and pull out all stops to get him and give him everything he wants.

But it's obvious this team needs to do something about the secondary because the past couple of games they've been getting beat up.

Toughest position to play in football, IMO, and very few cornerbacks are elite. If everything checks out with his knee, I hope we make a good effort at landing him, even we only keep him for a year. I don't think I would sign him for the 6 year, 96 million he wants as an extension.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The only way I would "rent" Revis is to give the Jets a 2nd, Alex Smith, and maybe a throw in 5th or 6th to sweeten the pot.

Alex Smith has 0 value for us and he's gone one way or another a 5th or 6th rounder isn't a big loss because our team is so talented that a 5th rounder would probably be a depth or ST position anyways. Since our pick is a late 2nd losing the pick wouldn't be a huge blow because if Revis leaves we get a 3rd in return.

That way you can see how he recovers from surgery, see how he fits in your locker room and on the field, and maybe playing for a top class team and coaching staff could knock his price down a bit.

Jets gets some picks, the fans wouldn't be overly excited about Smith but right now they'll take anything over Sanchez. Smith would be ideal to run the ground and pound offense Ryan wants to run and the team can sell the trade that they are still trying to win now and not rebuild.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to sign Wallace. Especially with the price tag that he is asking for.

I would however pursue Revis if he agreed to a reasonable contract first.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A shutdown Corner would go a long way toward fixing our weak secondary. I can't believe the Jets would let him go though unless he has not recovered well from his surgery.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't want to sign Wallace. Especially with the price tag that he is asking for.

I would however pursue Revis if he agreed to a reasonable contract first.

I would go with Wallace. Right now we have several good DBs and only one good WR ( you cannot be sure how Manningham comes back). Much greater need at WR.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go with Wallace. Right now we have several good DBs and only one good WR ( you cannot be sure how Manningham comes back). Much greater need at WR.

I think Tarell Brown is the only guy who I think is a lock to come back next year to play CB. Rogers is starting to get too expensive. Cully's a long ways away from being a good corner.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogers also looks like he's lost a step compared to his 2011 season. He seemed to get beat more this season.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't make my mind up on this one. We can easily make the space to fit him in this season though.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Were we watching the same team this post season? Our secondary was exposed across the board. We have huge holes in our secondary. On the other hand our offense scored a lot of points. Name one shut down corner in this draft........There are tons of receivers to be had without breaking the bank on an overpaid, overhyped, overrated WR.