• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Derek Carr...............

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering that this is what both Carr and the Raiders wanted, I don't think he's going to push for that.

Or is this a very long joke that didn't land?
First, How DARE you? My jokes always land.

But no, I'm serious. I think the PA should do a better job of protecting their players. And I honestly think not playing your best player with no regard for trying to win the games but instead to try and improve your future at the cost of your current players is actually against the current rules of the NFL. Not sure it's enforceable, you'd have to prove intent.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, How DARE you? My jokes always land.

But no, I'm serious. I think the PA should do a better job of protecting their players. And I honestly think not playing your best player with no regard for trying to win the games but instead to try and improve your future at the cost of your current players is actually against the current rules of the NFL. Not sure it's enforceable, you'd have to prove intent.

I agree. But for this situation. It benefits neither side.

If he gets hurt, they are on the hook for Carr and he's on a team that he clearly wanted to be done with. And that screws his future earning potential. I would call it a good "mutual separation".

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have thought Derek Carr would be a hot commodity?

I guess that shows you how great it is to hit the open market as an average QB. Taking a page out of the Kirk Cousins (who the Jets also wanted) playbook.
Compare the Jets QBs to Cousins since Cousins hit the market... large sample size now...

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr's most valuable trait is that he's on the open market whilst other QBs aren't. My advice would be for him to sign a deal at least a week before the new NFL season, (and the free agency market), opens. He's not going to be more valuable in mid March.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr's most valuable trait is that he's on the open market whilst other QBs aren't. My advice would be for him to sign a deal at least a week before the new NFL season, (and the free agency market), opens. He's not going to be more valuable in mid March.
you cant sign any FA till the new season starts:suds:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real reason he was benched....McDaniels was butthurt because Carr was changing plays.Screenshot_20230221-162919~2.png

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best I can tell, when Derek Carr has Darren Waller then he is about the 10th best QB in the league and without him he is about the 18th best QB in the league.

I believe that going from Gruden to McDaniel hurt him but...man...I think its Waller. Id be very skeptical of him moving the needle for anyone outside of the Jets

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can have him, they weren't going anywhere with him, just like we aren't.
Lol go ahead and compare the two. No way you wanted that horrendous shit over what Cousins delivered.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol go ahead and compare the two. No way you wanted that horrendous shit over what Cousins delivered.

He doesn't get those Jets teams to what he did with the talent the Vikings had. At least until the defense erroded under the weight of his contract.

Is he better than Darnold and Wilson? Yeah, but that is not saying much.

Being consistently average or maybe above is not necessarily a good thing.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't get those Jets teams to what he did with the talent the Vikings had. At least until the defense erroded under the weight of his contract.

Is he better than Darnold and Wilson? Yeah, but that is not saying much.

Being consistently average or maybe above is not necessarily a good thing.
The Eagles paid Wentz and still had a defense. It's not Cousins fault that the Vikings would be a bottom 5 team every year without him because they forgot to address the defense.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles paid Wentz and still had a defense. It's not Cousins fault that the Vikings would be a bottom 5 team every year without him because they forgot to address the defense.

If I could get anywhere close to what the Eagles got for Wentz, I'd take it in a second, just to unload that albatross contract.

They didn't forget to address the defense. The GM Spielman virtually ignored it, the only two defensive picks that he made were Hughes (constantly hurt) and Gladney (arrested for DV, now is dead). This after giving the Eagles a 1st for Bradford. The man was incompetent for years, but for a few lucky picks (Diggs, Hunter, Jefferson).

Nut, I'd really appreciate it if you didn't tell me that you think you know my team better than I do.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
March 13 (noon) through March 15 (3:59 p.m.): Clubs may enter contract negotiations with impending unrestricted free agents. Contracts may not be executed until the start of the new league year at 4 p.m. on March 15. March 15 (prior to 4 p.m.): Clubs must submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents.
all those transactions are extensions or players not on a team already:suds:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I could get anywhere close to what the Eagles got for Wentz, I'd take it in a second, just to unload that albatross contract.

They didn't forget to address the defense. The GM Spielman virtually ignored it, the only two defensive picks that he made were Hughes (constantly hurt) and Gladney (arrested for DV, now is dead). This after giving the Eagles a 1st for Bradford. The man was incompetent for years, but for a few lucky picks (Diggs, Hunter, Jefferson).

Nut, I'd really appreciate it if you didn't tell me that you think you know my team better than I do.
It would be better to give Cousins a defense instead of wishing you had the Jets QBs.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
March 13 (noon) through March 15 (3:59 p.m.): Clubs may enter contract negotiations with impending unrestricted free agents. Contracts may not be executed until the start of the new league year at 4 p.m. on March 15. March 15 (prior to 4 p.m.): Clubs must submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents.
@Rowdy and @fastforward have this one right.

Carr can sign with a new team before free agency opens in march b/c he is a free agent now. He isn't an "impending unrestricted free agent" like the other free agents whose contracts are expiring.

"Carr has visited the New Orleans Saints and New York Jets this offseason. Unlike other free agents, who aren't eligible to sign until March 15, Carr is able to sign immediately because he was released from an existing contract."

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you've quoted is for players who are signed to a contract that is about to expire. Carr is not under contract.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's an argument for releasing everyone on an expiring contract early, but it would help some players and hurt others. Anyone released after the Week 10 trade deadline is automatically subject to waivers. If Geno Smith or Dan Jones weren't going to be tagged by their respective teams those teams could release them. However, another team that wanted to tag the players could claim them. The original teams also wouldn't be eligible for compensatory picks. Any team wanting to acquire Carr on his Raiders contract could have claimed him. Since they didn't the presumption is that teams weren't interested at that salary cost - even though the Saints technically agreed a trade package with the Raiders. Many are predicting this offseason will have the most open QB market in NFL history. The more QBs available the more salaries could be squeezed.