• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saints to Sign FA QB Derek Carr

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 years 150 million. 100 million guaranteed for Carr.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints didn't look in terrible shape to me. If Carr signs it will be on comparatively low 2023 and 2024 cap numbers. At least 1, and maybe both, of Winston and Dalton will be released. It made sense for Carr to sign with a team early and set the market. Even if he didn't it was in his interest to have the press saying he was close to signing for a high price. That would push the Seahawks and Giants towards tagging their QBs.
Looks like average salary over the 4 year deal 37.5 mil per year.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I didn't realize I had stepped into the Derek Carr fan club here. Let's see how this contract looks in about a year.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I didn't realize I had stepped into the Derek Carr fan club here. Let's see how this contract looks in about a year.
Construct a better plan at QB for the Saints…ready go.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like average salary over the 4 year deal 37.5 mil per year.
I'll wait for the details but i'd expect it to be 3rd & 4th year heavy. The 4th year is unlikely to be guaranteed and it could be $50M+. I wouldn't expect Carr to be earning over $70M in the 1st 2 years. I also expect the early reports to be a bit high. Reported figures likely include potential bonuses which he may never earn. Last year the early report was Geno Smith signed for $7M. It turned out Smith was getting $3.5M + performance bonuses.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My plan for the Saints in general is to rebuild. The Saints are still operating as if they are a contender, and while I think they have some nice pieces on defense, I just don't think they are.

Can they win the NFC South with David Carr? Perhaps. But I think the franchise seems to be deluding itself about where it sits right now, and is in danger of being a perennial 10-7, 9-8, 8-9 type of team for the next several years if it continues down this road.

Trading this year's first round pick to Philly was a colossal error by New Orleans. If they had not done that, maybe they'd be in position to move up and draft a young QB. That's what they need to do--find a new franchise QB. The answer is not going to be David Carr.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My plan for the Saints in general is to rebuild. The Saints are still operating as if they are a contender, and while I think they have some nice pieces on defense, I just don't think they are.

Can they win the NFC South with David Carr? Perhaps. But I think the franchise seems to be deluding itself about where it sits right now, and is in danger of being a perennial 10-7, 9-8, 8-9 type of team for the next several years if it continues down this road.

Trading this year's first round pick to Philly was a colossal error by New Orleans. If they had not done that, maybe they'd be in position to move up and draft a young QB. That's what they need to do--find a new franchise QB. The answer is not going to be David Carr.
No such thing as “perennial” in the NFL unless you’re talking malpractice and shitty organizations like the Jets and the Browns. You can rebuild in short order. This isn’t the NBA with every contract being guaranteed. It’s easy to blow it up any time you want, start over, and be back in 2-3 years if you’re a well run organization.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No such thing as “perennial” in the NFL unless you’re talking malpractice and shitty organizations like the Jets and the Browns. You can rebuild in short order. This isn’t the NBA with every contract being guaranteed. It’s easy to blow it up any time you want, start over, and be back in 2-3 years if you’re a well run organization.

I agree, but that's my whole point--Saints should be starting this process after the end of the Brees/Payton era. They're not and they are wasting about 5 years of the franchise in the process.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but that's my whole point--Saints should be starting this process after the end of the Brees/Payton era. They're not and they are wasting about 5 years of the franchise in the process.
And what have they given up by not doing so?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what have they given up by not doing so?

Well, as noted, if they had not deluded themselves last year into thinking they could compete, maybe they're be drafting a QB in the top 10 this year. They are wasting time idling in place IMO.

That's just my opinion at this point. We'll see who is right in a year, but my guess is they will deeply regret guaranteeing $100 million to Derek Carr.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, as noted, if they had not deluded themselves last year into thinking they could compete, maybe they're be drafting a QB in the top 10 this year. They are wasting time idling in place IMO.

That's just my opinion at this point. We'll see who is right in a year, but my guess is they will deeply regret guaranteeing $100 million to Derek Carr.
They took Olave when they were badly in need of a WR and he looks like a plus WR based on his rookie year.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They took Olave when they were badly in need of a WR and he looks like a plus WR based on his rookie year.

He was a solid pick. But they went 7-10 after making that trade and drafting him.

Derek Carr may get them to 10-7, or 9-8 IMO. But they were $55 million over the cap at the start of the league year, and now they signed Carr to a huge contract, which means they face tough decisions on guys like Marshon Lattimore, Cameron Jordan, Andrus Peat and Ryan Ramczyk.

Saints GM:

giphy.gif

kaptorga-terminator.gif

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea of a Saints rebuild was blown up last year when they traded a lot of resources for Olave and Penning.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, it sure wont be!

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners don't want their GMs to tank their team for years so they can have a brief shot at the title. Owners want to have sold-out stadiums, full of fans who buy new team shirts. To that end Carr makes a lot of sense.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners don't want their GMs to tank their team for years so they can have a brief shot at the title. Owners want to have sold-out stadiums, full of fans who buy new team shirts. To that end Carr makes a lot of sense.
maybe iggloo will listen to you and shut up about half the teams tanking.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This relates to past cap discussions we’ve had on this board and people constantly predicting cap doom and gloom for teams. The Saints are supposed to be one of those teams and yet here they are signing the best FA QB on the market. If your team isn’t manipulating the cap to perpetually kick the cab down the road, they’re not doing it right. So many of you guys just spout the line your ineffectual front office has sold you. Here ya go. Saints not cap strapped. Able to make a huge move with a commitment of big money.
The Saints were -$100M before last offseason and now they are signed a QB to a $35M/year contract. The NFL guys know more than us and how to manipulate the cap.