• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Raiders bench Derek Carr

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes once the guaranteed money kicks in he can do what he wants but do you really want to play for a team that benches you and really wants no part of you. Better to just part ways...Carr gets a list of teams that are interested and he picks. A lifetime Raider, he deserves that respect. It's not like the compensation will be overwhelming.

All that being said, if the Raiders want to cut ties releasing him would be the best option.
If the Raiders don't release him they can't really afford to sign an alternative QB starter if he refuses to be traded. Carr seems genuinely happy where he is. He's spent his entire life pretty close to where he now lives. If the Raiders don't release him then I don't see him agreeing to any trade. I'm not convinced the Raiders no longer want any part of him. I wouldn't be shocked if he offers the Raiders a sizeable home town discount in order to stay. I could also see him retiring rather than signing elsewhere for a year or 2. At 31 he isn't old but he's a 9 year veteran with career earnings of $135.67M.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Derek Carr will "step away the final two games to avoid the obvious distractions."​

The team will be listing him as a non-participant in practice for personal reasons for the remainder of the season. Carr was benched in favor of Jarrett Stidham for the final two weeks earlier today. With Carr not even kept around to be the team's backup, this report seems to confirm the idea that the Raiders plan to cut or trade their quarterback in the offseason. If seriously injured in the final two weeks of the season, $33 million of Carr's cap hit in 2023 would become guaranteed. Not wanting to take that risk, the Raiders appear ready to sever their ties with Carr right now. Las Vegas will explore plenty of trade options before they consider cutting him, but an offseason move appears inevitable at this point.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Derek Carr will "step away the final two games to avoid the obvious distractions."​

The team will be listing him as a non-participant in practice for personal reasons for the remainder of the season. Carr was benched in favor of Jarrett Stidham for the final two weeks earlier today. With Carr not even kept around to be the team's backup, this report seems to confirm the idea that the Raiders plan to cut or trade their quarterback in the offseason. If seriously injured in the final two weeks of the season, $33 million of Carr's cap hit in 2023 would become guaranteed. Not wanting to take that risk, the Raiders appear ready to sever their ties with Carr right now. Las Vegas will explore plenty of trade options before they consider cutting him, but an offseason move appears inevitable at this point.
Elvis has left the building!

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,201.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said all time greats matter. QBs in general obviously matter, there are good and bad ones. But to say 'Jimmy won x games and lost y games' or 'Carr's W/L record is x' doesn't sit right with me. It's the ultimate TEAM sport.
Exactly.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,201.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Stafford of the AFC. When he was with the Lions.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like there is a really good chance that Stidham plays well against the Chiefs (we make every QB look like a starter) and that could lead to a funny scenario where he might become a commodity, too

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like there is a really good chance that Stidham plays well against the Chiefs (we make every QB look like a starter) and that could lead to a funny scenario where he might become a commodity, too

"Well, it's kinda true"

veggie tales tomato GIF

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Well, it's kinda true"

veggie tales tomato GIF
Is it fair to suggest that the Raiders moving on with Carr, replacing him with someone who performs in the system better, and not having the replacement in a long-term deal is maybe the worst GM move of the year? Top 5?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it fair to suggest that the Raiders moving on with Carr, replacing him with someone who performs in the system better, and not having the replacement in a long-term deal is maybe the worst GM move of the year? Top 5?
I am half expecting it to be Tom Brady because of course we need the Brady Stans in the AFC West. But yeah, the Raiders need to decide if they're rebuilding or trying to win.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither may be the answer but carr is done in Las vegas....the Raiders want to split and want no chance of him getting injured so they would have to pay millions for him next season
The Raiders will cut him for basically nothing, he will be a FA and be a cheap pick up for someone.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am half expecting it to be Tom Brady because of course we need the Brady Stans in the AFC West. But yeah, the Raiders need to decide if they're rebuilding or trying to win.
Reminds me a bit of the Rodgers to Denver rumors last year. It adds up but at the end of the day, going from the NFC to the AFC just doesnt seem like a smart play.

Yeah, Brady on the Raiders would be a sick offense. But if the wrong players get injured you could be looking at maybe getting demolished by Mahomes and Herbert twice and maybe Wilson once.

If Brady wanted to be famous DC would probably be the place to go. NFC East gets the eyeballs and he'd also be playing in a tough division

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders will cut him for basically nothing, he will be a FA and be a cheap pick up for someone.
Well the Colts haven't tried him yet.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't be cheap though. Several teams will be bidding for him and he will get overpaid. Jets, Colts, Falcons, maybe Bucs, maybe Dolphins. A lot of teams will be in the QB market and Carr is a proven starter. Maybe not elite but much better than the back-up caliber guys that will be on the market. I still can see some wink, wink, nod,nod dealings like the Stafford trade possibly happening. Teams rarely actually follow the rules during the off season about when they can make these deals.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a huge Carr apologist, there are certainly some throws he should make that he misses and some decisions that are not great upon review. That being said, the Raiders organization (and I have been following them since the 70s...) is a complete mess:
HC:
Tony Sparano 3/9 - .250
Jack Del Rio 25/23 - .521 * playoffs
Jon Gruden 22/31 - .415
Rich Bisaccia 7/5 - .583 * playoffs
Josh McDaniels 6/10 - .375

OC:
Greg Olsen
Bill Musgrave
Todd Downing
Greg Olsen
Mick Lombardi

If you look at the defensive stats over that time its abysmal. Its not hard to drum up a search and find Derek has had extremely poor defensive support not to mention every couple of years once they put some pieces in place and everyone figures out the playbook they bring in a new "offensive genius" that walks in with this thick/overly complicated playbook that everyone needs to start from zero on. It doesn't take the village idiot it figure out you cannot make any sort of progress with the Raiders Organization strategy.. There have been many examples of mediocre QBs winning superbowls (Johnson, Dilfer, hell.. even McMahon wasn't that great) and the record of #1 defenses against #1 offenses in the championship speaks for itself. Contrast this with Pittsburgh.. who has had plenty of poor seasons with Tomlin (and Cower) and yet maintained some stability and ultimately saw some championships with both coaches. Yet, the Raiders have consistently put subpar defenses on the field, or dramatically inconsistent when not at the bottom of the league.

Ultimately, I think they over payed Derek but they are plainly trying to throw dirt over a CLEAR mistake in hiring McDaniels... who has been severely out-coached all year. In fact, McDaniel's performance when Tom Brady isn't bailing him out.. is not very good. They want to hang that albatross on Derek to which my question is, okay.. WHO is the better available QB of the future then? There are unconvincing answers here and this is a WEAK draft to find any answers. Ultimately they will plug some new guy in, the next season will not address the many other glaring issues and Josh will get bounced out with the team in far worse shape than it was before.

The fans and the players deserve FAR better than this organization has demonstrated.. and Derek, despite some problems with his game, CLEARLY deserved better than this. I for one am done following them, there are better places to spend my time and money.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@caliraftdude great post. The Raiders disfunction from the top down has been well documented and like you, I was a Raiders fan back in the 70s during the hayday of Madden, Stabler et al. Even going back to Lamonica. Then became a Seahawks fan when they got a team and I got to see Largent and others play. Also loved watching Marcus Allen totally destroy the heavily favored Redskins in the SB. But the Davis family has run this franchise into the ground and Carr was honestly, one of the few bright spots. Derek will never be elite but the guy is above average and a great leader. I think if a team like the Jets get him, it could change how he's viewed by many.