• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Raiders bench Derek Carr

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a huge Carr apologist, there are certainly some throws he should make that he misses and some decisions that are not great upon review. That being said, the Raiders organization (and I have been following them since the 70s...) is a complete mess:
HC:
Tony Sparano 3/9 - .250
Jack Del Rio 25/23 - .521 * playoffs
Jon Gruden 22/31 - .415
Rich Bisaccia 7/5 - .583 * playoffs
Josh McDaniels 6/10 - .375

OC:
Greg Olsen
Bill Musgrave
Todd Downing
Greg Olsen
Mick Lombardi

If you look at the defensive stats over that time its abysmal. Its not hard to drum up a search and find Derek has had extremely poor defensive support not to mention every couple of years once they put some pieces in place and everyone figures out the playbook they bring in a new "offensive genius" that walks in with this thick/overly complicated playbook that everyone needs to start from zero on. It doesn't take the village idiot it figure out you cannot make any sort of progress with the Raiders Organization strategy.. There have been many examples of mediocre QBs winning superbowls (Johnson, Dilfer, hell.. even McMahon wasn't that great) and the record of #1 defenses against #1 offenses in the championship speaks for itself. Contrast this with Pittsburgh.. who has had plenty of poor seasons with Tomlin (and Cower) and yet maintained some stability and ultimately saw some championships with both coaches. Yet, the Raiders have consistently put subpar defenses on the field, or dramatically inconsistent when not at the bottom of the league.

Ultimately, I think they over payed Derek but they are plainly trying to throw dirt over a CLEAR mistake in hiring McDaniels... who has been severely out-coached all year. In fact, McDaniel's performance when Tom Brady isn't bailing him out.. is not very good. They want to hang that albatross on Derek to which my question is, okay.. WHO is the better available QB of the future then? There are unconvincing answers here and this is a WEAK draft to find any answers. Ultimately they will plug some new guy in, the next season will not address the many other glaring issues and Josh will get bounced out with the team in far worse shape than it was before.

The fans and the players deserve FAR better than this organization has demonstrated.. and Derek, despite some problems with his game, CLEARLY deserved better than this. I for one am done following them, there are better places to spend my time and money.

Bisaccia should've been retained, but ownership couldn't resist a bigger name (or coaching tree). They've repalced two playoff coaches in favor of "bigger names" twice in recent history. Gruden failed and it seems McDaniels is well on his way to follow.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@caliraftdude great post. The Raiders disfunction from the top down has been well documented and like you, I was a Raiders fan back in the 70s during the hayday of Madden, Stabler et al. Even going back to Lamonica. Then became a Seahawks fan when they got a team and I got to see Largent and others play. Also loved watching Marcus Allen totally destroy the heavily favored Redskins in the SB. But the Davis family has run this franchise into the ground and Carr was honestly, one of the few bright spots. Derek will never be elite but the guy is above average and a great leader. I think if a team like the Jets get him, it could change how he's viewed by many.

In some ways, getting Adams for Carr was a detriment, as Carr seemed to have blinders on for Adams early on. Previous top targets like Waller and Renfro were minimized (and later injured). They're running game could be drastically different next year as well, as Jacobs could move on as a FA.