• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Derek Carr...............

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think this starts getting a little tricky for the Jets. They should be the first domino and Rodgers should be the first QB but Rodgers is so unpredictable that maybe the Jets go a different direction. Lamar is probably the 2nd best out there but a lot of unknowns there, too. Not sure the Jets want to tie their future to a QB that gets banged up but Lamar probably has the highest upside next year.

After that...isnt Carr the guy? I'd take Carr over Tannehill. Brady isnt coming back. Geno Smith? Eh.
49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo could be NFL's breakout star

That pretty face in New York...

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo could be NFL's breakout star' Jimmy Garoppolo could be NFL's breakout star

That pretty face in New York...

He sure would look good in a New York Jets hat holding a clipboard after he got hurt for the season in week 3.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good, another potential QB Seattle can grab without having to give Geno $30M+.. though I assume Carr will not be much cheaper... either way it somewhat saturates the market.
Angry Tampa Bay Buccaneers GIF by Jomboy Media

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr is the only player currently on the market. He's domino #1 and his salary sets the market. Carr might not be any team's 1st choice but he's going to be off the market in 10-14 days, (before March free agency begins). Teams will need to make their Carr auction bid early even if it's an auction they aren't hoping to win.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his new deal, I'll be surprised if he doesn't at least average 35 million per yr, which would include a large signing bonus of around 50 million and guaranteed money of around 60 million...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blame their GM Zeigler too.

They should have known that benching Carr for the 2 final games last season would cost them damn near a 1st round pick in total value (what they should have been able to trade Carr for).

Completely short-sighted for them to play this like they did and basically tell the entire league that he wasnt going to be with the team moving forward.

If Carr had gotten hurt in those final 2 games, all his non-guaranteed money suddenly becomes guaranteed (an additional $40M). He wasn't getting benched out of spite; they had already made their decision to move on and were saving money.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Carr had gotten hurt in those final 2 games, all his non-guaranteed money suddenly becomes guaranteed (an additional $40M). He wasn't getting benched out of spite; they had already made their decision to move on and were saving money.
They weren't going anywhere, so wh6 take the risk? The guarantee clause was unnecessary at this point.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a sad state of affairs when Carr has very limited opportunities in a game where quarterbacks are so important and he's actually better than a lot of them starting right now. Teams are putting themselves in cap hell by signing mediocre players to huge contracts.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have thought Derek Carr would be a hot commodity?

I guess that shows you how great it is to hit the open market as an average QB. Taking a page out of the Kirk Cousins (who the Jets also wanted) playbook.
He’s a lightning in the bottle kind of guy that could make an impact on a team with a plus roster around him. That’s what the Vikings thought they had when they signed Cousins.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s a lightning in the bottle kind of guy that could make an impact on a team with a plus roster around him. That’s what the Vikings thought they had when they signed Cousins.

Yep. Which is why I was fine with the move at the time, but not the two extensions that he's received since.

Vikings ownership doesn't want to bottom out, despite all of the signs being there that we need to. 13-4 with everything breaking perfectly our way in 11 of those wins. And a one-and-done to the Giants that got boat raced by your guys the next week.

My next fear is they decide to kick the can down the road again and give him another extension to relieve our cap hell.

I've hijacked a Carr thread enough with my own baggage, so I'll end this here. /rant

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still shocked that the NFLPA didn't make an issue out of this. We know from the Miami investigation that at least on paper the NFL still maintains that tanking games for a higher draft pick to improve future teams is illegal. Personally I don't see the difference between benching your healthy starting QB solely to tank games and get a better draft pick; and benching your healthy starting QB in order to save cap space to make future teams better.

It seems like it could be an antitrust issue and affect competitive balance and the "integrity of the game." But I also really why the NFLPA hasn't objected here or in the past to players being benched and missing contract incentives that they likely would have obtained. Not being a lawyer, and not being familiar with the language in contracts, I'm sure there are reasons.

I just feel like you could make a compelling legal argument under antitrust laws especially that moves like that violate the law and league rules and are being done punatively.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still shocked that the NFLPA didn't make an issue out of this. We know from the Miami investigation that at least on paper the NFL still maintains that tanking games for a higher draft pick to improve future teams is illegal. Personally I don't see the difference between benching your healthy starting QB solely to tank games and get a better draft pick; and benching your healthy starting QB in order to save cap space to make future teams better.

It seems like it could be an antitrust issue and affect competitive balance and the "integrity of the game." But I also really why the NFLPA hasn't objected here or in the past to players being benched and missing contract incentives that they likely would have obtained. Not being a lawyer, and not being familiar with the language in contracts, I'm sure there are reasons.

I just feel like you could make a compelling legal argument under antitrust laws especially that moves like that violate the law and league rules and are being done punatively.

Considering that this is what both Carr and the Raiders wanted, I don't think he's going to push for that.

Or is this a very long joke that didn't land?