• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Davis On The Way Out??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was essentially a rookie when it comes to game speed/game situations,

we basically had a rookie QB going against the toughest defenses in the league and had the Rams in most of those games.
With all due respect ALR, this is my problem with the Davis supporters.

The excuses.

Davis was not a rookie last year or even basically a rookie.

Davis was picked up by the Rams as an un-drafted free agent, so Snisher did give him a chance, his first NFL chance. He couldn't make the team his rookie year so he was cut.

In his second NFL year after training camp and pretty much through the start of the preseason he was the Rams third sting QB in his sophomore season. He couldn't make the team and was cut.

He was picked up by the Dolphins and placed on their practice squad. The Rams ended up picking him back up off the Dolphins practice squad because Sam Bradford re-injured his ACL last year.

He only got a chance to start because our backup Shawn Hill got hurt in the first game last year vs Minnesota. Shawn was still not healthy vs Tampa so Davis got the start in Week 2. Davis plays well enough to get the nod over Hill in Week 3 (So again Snisher gives him another chance) and then has an efficient game vs Seattle in victory.

This is the guy that Snisher wanted but by the time the Arizona game was done, we saw Davis finish the game with 2 interceptions and a fumble all in the fourth quarter. That was enough.

The bottom line, he was not a rookie, or essentially a rookie. He was a guy who couldn't beat out Sam Bradford, or Shawn Hill in the pecking order last year or beat out Nick Foles, Case Kneenum or Shawn Mannion this year in training camp.

So basically, Davis was unimpressive in three Rams camps and couldn't beat out Bradford, Clemens, Hill, Foles, Kneenum or Mannion for playing time.

Had he practiced better, they wouldn't have cut him and they would have given him more playing time this year in the preseason.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The excuses.

Davis was picked up by the Rams as an un-drafted free agent, so Snisher did give him a chance, his first NFL chance. He couldn't make the team his rookie year so he was cut.

In his second NFL year after training camp and pretty much through the start of the preseason he was the Rams third sting QB in his sophomore season. He couldn't make the team and was cut.

He was picked up by the Dolphins and placed on their practice squad. The Rams ended up picking him back up off the Dolphins practice squad because Sam Bradford re-injured his ACL last year.

He only got a chance to start because our backup Shawn Hill got hurt in the first game last year vs Minnesota. Shawn was still not healthy vs Tampa so Davis got the start in Week 2. Davis plays well enough to get the nod over Hill in Week 3 (So again Snisher gives him another chance) and then has an efficient game vs Seattle in victory.

This is the guy that Snisher wanted but by the time the Arizona game was done, we saw Davis finish the game with 2 interceptions and a fumble all in the fourth quarter. That was enough.

The bottom line, he was not a rookie, or essentially a rookie. He was a guy who couldn't beat out Sam Bradford, or Shawn Hill in the pecking order last year or beat out Nick Foles, Case Kneenum or Shawn Mannion this year in training camp.

So basically, Davis was unimpressive in three Rams camps and couldn't beat out Bradford, Clemens, Hill, Foles, Kneenum or Mannion for playing time.

Had he practiced better, they wouldn't have cut him and they would have given him more playing time this year in the preseason.

To be fair, Bradford had to start mostly because of salary.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if that is fair SE.

Sam was drafted No. 1 overall in 2010 and Davis was undrafted 2 years later in 2012. That has to mean something to the football experts. Sure salary put Sam No. 1, but even if they made the same salary, Sam still gets the nod over Davis.

I'm sure there are a few others who may feel the same as you, but you must acknowledge the group of you are in the minority in 2013 & 2014.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rather
I don't know if that is fair SE.

Sam was drafted No. 1 overall in 2010 and Davis was undrafted 2 years later in 2012. That has to mean something to the football experts. Sure salary put Sam No. 1, but even if they made the same salary, Sam still gets the nod over Davis.

I'm sure there are a few others who may feel the same as you, but you must acknowledge the group of you are in the minority in 2013 & 2014.

I'm just saying as a first overall pick, he is your team's investment. You want a return on that investment, so you give him every opportunity to prove himself and you are investing in his potential too, that is why he went first overall rather then being a 3rd round pick. The only thing he proved is that he couldn't stay healthy, there was no chance to see if there was going to be progression. Most qbs don't progress on average to after three years in this league. Sam didn't have three seasons, he was too busy trying to get back into football shape, rather than giving his game a chance to improve, he also got the benefit of the doubt because of different systems on a yearly basis for the most part. I didn't say it was fair, but there is a reason 1st round qbs can go to three different teams, before they say it just doesn't have what it takes.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rather

I'm just saying as a first overall pick, he is your team's investment. You want a return on that investment, so you give him every opportunity to prove himself and you are investing in his potential too, that is why he went first overall rather then being a 3rd round pick. The only thing he proved is that he couldn't stay healthy, there was no chance to see if there was going to be progression. Most qbs don't progress on average to after three years in this league. Sam didn't have three seasons, he was too busy trying to get back into football shape, rather than giving his game a chance to improve, he also got the benefit of the doubt because of different systems on a yearly basis for the most part. I didn't say it was fair, but there is a reason 1st round qbs can go to three different teams, before they say it just doesn't have what it takes.
I get what you are saying SE but this is really a whole different topic, isn't it?

If anything Bradford's inability to stay healthy as a Ram kept Davis around in horns.

Bottom line, both Sam & Davis, heck even Clemons & Hill are all gone so I wish them all well except when playing the Rams.

So as far as these dudes are concerned...sayonara zetsubou

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If, by chance, Davis does well in Cleveland and we have a need for a QB, ten-to-one the Rams will be on the horn to send a draft pick or two to get him back.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hearing Austin Davis is on his way to Cleveland. Wouldn't that be funny if he was the starter for the Brown on October 25th. I will be at that game!

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, a pick 6 doesn't mean you're a bad QB. Consistently throwing bad interceptions that turn into touchdowns or taking bad sacks that result in a scoop and score while also not managing to throw for 200 yards and being benched in favor of Shaun Hill means you're a bad QB. Good QB's make plays when it's crunch time or they adjust how they play after the defense figures them out. That's something Davis couldn't do and that's why he's a third stringer on the Browns and not starting.

Maybe you didn't actually watch the games, Davis had some pretty dam good games and as ALR said, he was going up against some of the better defenses in the league. I guess by your standards Favre sucked? Never liked Favre, but I'm pretty sure he was a good QB, that turned the ball over alot at the worst times!

As I've already mentioned guys named Marino, Favre, P. manning, Namath, and Palmer have all thrown at least 5 pick 6's in a season, Marino did it twice!
Hers a list of QB's that have thrown at least 4 pick 6's in a season
Marino (4times)
Favre (3 times)
PManning (2times)
Namath
Stafford
Palmer
Jim Kelly
Phillip Rivers
Drew Brees
Rothlisberger
Moon
P. Simms
KURT WARNER

So I guess according to your standards all these guys suck!

Favre lifetime 35 pick 6's
Marino 30 pick 6's
P. manning 25 pick 6's

Gee how in the Hell did these guys manage to stick around so long, after all the defenses must have figured them out!
Please get a clue!

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No Sammy started because he looked really good in the preseason, he made all the throws and reads!

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That AZ defense
No Sammy started because he looked really good in the preseason, he made all the throws and reads!

Where is Coug? LOL

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The excuses.

While some of this may be true, we also know that Fisher plays his favorites! Theres no reason that Hill should have finished out the season, he looked like shit, and at least if Fisher would have stuck with Davis we would have gotten a better overall read on Davis. You can't tell me that Keenum and Mannion both looked that much better than Davis did in practice. Davis was not given a fair shake in ANY of the preseason games, and if he sucked so bad in scrimmage, why bother to even give him a couple of snaps in preseason games, he should have been let go a long time ago

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I live in the city where a certain Kurt Warner went to college, I have followed his career, I had also seen many of his games before he became a pro. Now about some of you and your arguments about Davis or any other QB being a second or third string QB, that may be the case in most instances. Teams sign players to be their #2 or #3 QB, that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't better than the QB's in front of them. As someone has already stated, some QB's are already the golden boy, the chosen one, and teams just go with them because they have to justify drafting them or paying them as much as they do.

If Trent Green doesn't get hurt maybe none of you would have ever known who Kurt Warner was! As I said I had watched him play, who's to say that he didn't outplay Green in practice anyway, we don't know! I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't outplay Green, but Green was signed to be the answer, they weren't going to throw some unknown in there ahead of a proven veteran.

True Davis wasn't a rookie, but it was his first chance at starting (similar to a rookie being thrown in there) as Allen Iverson says Practice, you're talking about practice! Who's going to look better in practice? The QB practicing with the 1st team or the QB practicing with the 2nd or 3rd team? Most 2nd and 3rd string QB's will always be just that, but there are the exceptions. I've seen many backup QB's do far less than Davis did, in fact I still say Davis played as well if not better than Sammy when he was in there!
All you Sammy lovers were blinded by Sammies potential, he couldn't complete 60% of his passes over 4 years, and all he did was dink and dunk, yet Davis completed 63% of his passes. Everyone wants to say what a great rookie year Sammy had yet if you double Davis's stats for 8 games he throws For over 4,000 yards and 24 TD and 18 int, but Sammy had a great year! You want to say that Sammy played behind a horrid oline, but I guess Davis didn't? Sammie had no one to throw to, but Davis did? Please!

This feels good to bash Sammie yet again, I miss that!:)

I guess I'm just not happy with a 8 game audition, especially when Davis gave us more at QB, since probably Bulger?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you didn't actually watch the games, Davis had some pretty dam good games and as ALR said, he was going up against some of the better defenses in the league. I guess by your standards Favre sucked? Never liked Favre, but I'm pretty sure he was a good QB, that turned the ball over alot at the worst times!

As I've already mentioned guys named Marino, Favre, P. manning, Namath, and Palmer have all thrown at least 5 pick 6's in a season, Marino did it twice!
Hers a list of QB's that have thrown at least 4 pick 6's in a season
Marino (4times)
Favre (3 times)
PManning (2times)
Namath
Stafford
Palmer
Jim Kelly
Phillip Rivers
Drew Brees
Rothlisberger
Moon
P. Simms
KURT WARNER

So I guess according to your standards all these guys suck!

Favre lifetime 35 pick 6's
Marino 30 pick 6's
P. manning 25 pick 6's

Gee how in the Hell did these guys manage to stick around so long, after all the defenses must have figured them out!
Please get a clue!

Since I live in the city where a certain Kurt Warner went to college, I have followed his career, I had also seen many of his games before he became a pro. Now about some of you and your arguments about Davis or any other QB being a second or third string QB, that may be the case in most instances. Teams sign players to be their #2 or #3 QB, that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't better than the QB's in front of them. As someone has already stated, some QB's are already the golden boy, the chosen one, and teams just go with them because they have to justify drafting them or paying them as much as they do.

If Trent Green doesn't get hurt maybe none of you would have ever known who Kurt Warner was! As I said I had watched him play, who's to say that he didn't outplay Green in practice anyway, we don't know! I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't outplay Green, but Green was signed to be the answer, they weren't going to throw some unknown in there ahead of a proven veteran.

True Davis wasn't a rookie, but it was his first chance at starting (similar to a rookie being thrown in there) as Allen Iverson says Practice, you're talking about practice! Who's going to look better in practice? The QB practicing with the 1st team or the QB practicing with the 2nd or 3rd team? Most 2nd and 3rd string QB's will always be just that, but there are the exceptions. I've seen many backup QB's do far less than Davis did, in fact I still say Davis played as well if not better than Sammy when he was in there!
All you Sammy lovers were blinded by Sammies potential, he couldn't complete 60% of his passes over 4 years, and all he did was dink and dunk, yet Davis completed 63% of his passes. Everyone wants to say what a great rookie year Sammy had yet if you double Davis's stats for 8 games he throws For over 4,000 yards and 24 TD and 18 int, but Sammy had a great year! You want to say that Sammy played behind a horrid oline, but I guess Davis didn't? Sammie had no one to throw to, but Davis did? Please!

This feels good to bash Sammie yet again, I miss that!:)

I guess I'm just not happy with a 8 game audition, especially when Davis gave us more at QB, since probably Bulger?
What these two post ignore, is scheme. I do like Davis & who really knows, maybe one day we all see him leading some Pro team as the teams No. 1, but Austin's QB style does matter and it doesn't fit the ball control, smash mouth, field position plan of Jeff Fisher football.

While some of this may be true, we also know that Fisher plays his favorites! Theres no reason that Hill should have finished out the season, he looked like shit, and at least if Fisher would have stuck with Davis we would have gotten a better overall read on Davis. You can't tell me that Keenum and Mannion both looked that much better than Davis did in practice. Davis was not given a fair shake in ANY of the preseason games, and if he sucked so bad in scrimmage, why bother to even give him a couple of snaps in preseason games, he should have been let go a long time ago
He should play his favorites, he's the freaking coach, it's his ass on the line.

This reminds me of a young lady who once worked for me and complained to another employee that was loyal to me, and said that 'I was bossy' which they quickly replied, 'he's the freaking boss!' LOL

If she did her freaking job, she would appear to be my favorite because I would never be telling her what to do. The same with Fisher and Davis, if Davis did his freaking job like Fisher asked him to do, than I'm sure he would be one of Jeff's favorites.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita said
What these two post ignore, is scheme. I do like Davis & who really knows, maybe one day we all see him leading some Pro team as the teams No. 1, but Austin's QB style does matter and it doesn't fit the ball control, smash mouth, field position plan of Jeff Fisher football.

I will argue with that somewhat, bottomline is good to great QB's still make bad throws, it's not because the Defense figured them out!

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vita said
He should play his favorites, he's the freaking coach, it's his ass on the line.

This reminds me of a young lady who once worked for me and complained to another employee that was loyal to me, and said that 'I was bossy' which they quickly replied, 'he's the freaking boss!' LOL

If she did her freaking job, she would appear to be my favorite because I would never be telling her what to do. The same with Fisher and Davis, if Davis did his freaking job like Fisher asked him to do, than I'm sure he would be one of Jeff's favorites.

I'm sure Davis did what was asked of him, Fisher just has a habit of playing guys whether they are the right guys to be playing or not! If Scott Wells was so good, why is he gone, yet his so called "back up" just might be our starting center this year. We had TWO guys that started on the oline last year that were more or less rated two of the worst Olineman in the league, but did Fisher try to give any kind of experience to their "back ups" , nope. Fisher is stubborn, and he is going to stick to his guns whether he is right or wrong. He did the same thing with Hill, he sucked, yet he stuck with the old guy, while stunting the growth of a younger, possibly good player that would have fit in with his team this year!

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Davis did his job as a backup QB. He won some games and lost a few on some bad mistakes. Put up some good numbers in a few games in the toughest division in the NFL.

We will see if Keenum can do his job as a backup. Hopefully he won't have to.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Cougar has migrated to the Philadelphia board. You might catch him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.