• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could we make the Super Bowl next year?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think since Jerry knows he has no clue about most of these college kids, so he goes with the opinions of his staff for the most part. When it comes to FAs he clearly is out of his league because he knows just enough to have at least watched most of these players and he can't help but overpay when he sees someone he wants

So Jerry is basically a fan who knows about as much as the average board poster when it comes to running an NFL team. Difference is Jerry is a fan who does get to run the team.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet each draft season Jerry has a copy of Lindys Draft guide in his bathroom magazine rack.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as I argue with those who say Jerry nor Romo will ever win a SB doesn't mean the 90's success will get Jerry another. As for Jerry getting credit or not the support for his role has to be questioned due to the lack of success post Jimmy. Jerry's EGO might as well be the Boulder Dam to success of this team at the moment. Take out the ego and the owner would have fired the GM years ago.

I can't argue with the truth

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet each draft season Jerry has a copy of Lindys Draft guide in his bathroom magazine rack.

I think you'd lose that bet. The year our draft netted a kicker and that's it, Lindy's, Athlon or any major publication would have done better

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you'd lose that bet. The year our draft netted a kicker and that's it, Lindy's, Athlon or any major publication would have done better

Never said he followed it, or actually read more than a few write ups I
on the players. Just saying he thinks he is a talent evaluator. He's not.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well stated. If people could keep emotion out of the equation this is how they'd see the Jerry situation.

It's emotion that keeps people from giving at least an ounce of credit to an owner who bought a team, fired everybody ..and six years later has 3 championships.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's emotion that keeps people from giving at least an ounce of credit to an owner who bought a team, fired everybody ..and six years later has 3 championships.

^^^^ a poster with common sense

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. Hate the man all ya want, but you cant ignore the first 6 years. 3 Super Bowls Championships followed by 20 years of .500? Hell, there are some franchises that would take the 20 years of .500 lol.
What makes Jerry a goof is that he is too smart not to realize that after Jimmy left, he could have had literally any coach in the world to take over that team. With a great coach, with an actual team philosophy to draft towards, the results that Jimmy and Bill had could have been the absolute norm for the Cowboys. They may have been the team of the 90's, 00's and on and on if Jerry had dialed back his ego

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that is what people DO give Jerry credit for and that is what you seem to be missing. He bought the team and he hired the right guy to run it and he stayed in the background. No one ever disagreed with that, so I'm not sure why you would even bring it up in this particular conversation. But, anyone that thinks Jerry the GM isn't an absolutely horrible GM is either clueless or not admitting the truth. Instead of being a guy that helps like a GM should he is a hurdle we must overcome. Not a good trait for a GM IMO...why he can't just sit back in his box, count his money and let the people he pays do their jobs is the million dollar question...

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But it's also emotion that won't let others find fault in that same owner. Too many here are either all or nothing when it comes to the Cowboys. Most know I support both Romo and Owner Jerry (GM Jerry has to go). However my support is not so blind that I cannot see that they both have faults. Now maybe it's my emotion that only let's me see GM Jerry's faults.
I know jarntt has a good anti owner Jerry argument. He hasn't fired the GM.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know jarntt has a good anti owner Jerry argument. He hasn't fired the GM.

You know me well my friend...who is the most important person that an owner of a Football team hires to build a winning team? So how can we call him a good owner?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is what people DO give Jerry credit for and that is what you seem to be missing. He bought the team and he hired the right guy to run it and he stayed in the background. No one ever disagreed with that, so I'm not sure why you would even bring it up in this particular conversation. But, anyone that thinks Jerry the GM isn't an absolutely horrible GM is either clueless or not admitting the truth. Instead of being a guy that helps like a GM should he is a hurdle we must overcome. Not a good trait for a GM IMO...why he can't just sit back in his box, count his money and let the people he pays do their jobs is the million dollar question...

You said Jerry is a "never was" ...that did not sound like you were giving credit.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know me well my friend...who is the most important person that an owner of a Football team hires to build a winning team? So how can we call him a good owner?

I love the fact that Jerry wants to win, just can't argue against you view on the subject. I guess I keep hoping he'll wake up and realize he is the blockade to winning.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your hatred for the guy is pretty obvious, and I feel the same way about Jimmy and later Parcells being the only two guys that have ever been able to make it work with Jerry. And they did so with great results. But I disagree with a couple of your points. Number one, It wasn't Landry's vision that netted us the ability to draft Irvin and Troy, it was a fact that the Cowboys record sucked at the time. And while the Walker deal is the greatest trade ever, I remember hearing a lot of people going nuts in Dallas when he was traded. Bottom line, if Jerry had never bought the team, Jimmy would have never been hired, and whoever was might not have had an owner who would shell out the money for anything his coach wanted, like Jerry did for Jimmy. In other words, without Jerry, we might well still have two Super Bowls titles instead of 5
No, actually Jimmy deserves the credit for the vision of picking Troy and Michael. The point I was trying to make is Landry had it set up for us to get those draft choices. Yes, the last couple years for Coach Landry's were not good, and out 20 year streak came to an end. Randy White, Ed Jones, Harvey Martin, Drew Pearson, Charlie Waters, etc., were all retiring, and after the 1984 season, F.A. changed the game in maintaining players. The one or 2 year reloading and bouncing right back into the super bowl like he did back in the 70's would be extremely hard to duplicate. But that is a subject and debate for another time.
I will never get over how Jerry immediately fired and treated our legend. Coach Landry, Mr. Cowboy and the reason we became America's Team way before Jerry.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what did jerry say in his very first press conference with the media? wasn't it something about jocks and socks meaning he'll be all over everything? The critics mounting is great and all, but it won't do anything other than make jerry dig that much more in.

Tell death do us part

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"No, actually Jimmy deserves the credit for the vision of picking Troy and Michael"

I'm as much a Jimmy lover as the next cowboy fan but Tom picked Irvin and Aikman was considered the top overall pick going into his draft. Jimmy also took Walch in the supplemental draft that year. Jimmy said he knew Aikman had the tools but the head and moxie was something he wasn't sure of and he knew that was Walch's strength at Miami.

I also think the Walch pick was one of Jimmy's slickest moves here in Dallas when you consider the return he got from New Orleans when he traded Walch. That's building a team and jerry was along for the ride

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"No, actually Jimmy deserves the credit for the vision of picking Troy and Michael"

I'm as much a Jimmy lover as the next cowboy fan but Tom picked Irvin and Aikman was considered the top overall pick going into his draft. Jimmy also took Walch in the supplemental draft that year. Jimmy said he knew Aikman had the tools but the head and moxie was something he wasn't sure of and he knew that was Walch's strength at Miami.

I also think the Walch pick was one of Jimmy's slickest moves here in Dallas when you consider the return he got from New Orleans when he traded Walch. That's building a team and jerry was along for the ride

Walch:laugh3:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, actually Jimmy deserves the credit for the vision of picking Troy and Michael. The point I was trying to make is Landry had it set up for us to get those draft choices. Yes, the last couple years for Coach Landry's were not good, and out 20 year streak came to an end. Randy White, Ed Jones, Harvey Martin, Drew Pearson, Charlie Waters, etc., were all retiring, and after the 1984 season, F.A. changed the game in maintaining players. The one or 2 year reloading and bouncing right back into the super bowl like he did back in the 70's would be extremely hard to duplicate. But that is a subject and debate for another time.
I will never get over how Jerry immediately fired and treated our legend. Coach Landry, Mr. Cowboy and the reason we became America's Team way before Jerry.

I don't get why you are saying Landry set us up for Troy, as though he tanked his last two years on purpose. Trust me. Landry was no nonsense and the last damn thing he was trying to do is get the 1st pick in the draft
Fucking Amazing.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give up
spelling?...I didn't Google, or is the name wrong? Perhaps you have a different opinion... then by all means step up.

post #135, ''I point out football wrong''. When someone makes an absurd, self loving comment like that, he shouldn't get pissed when someone points out he misspelled Walsh four times in a single post.