• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could we make the Super Bowl next year?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Al Davis. Many forget that this guy was a "true Football guy". He was a coach, GM, Owner, everything.

Your JJ assessment is completely incorrect. He did not get old and have the game pass him by. Al Davis became a "has been" at the end, but Jerry is a "never was". The Cowboys won because of Jimmy Johnson and the others around him. If you want to say Jerry was smart enough to hire Jimmy, then OK. But Jerry was always the same useless guy he just gets in the way more nowadays. He may get lucky enough to have someone build a team in spite of his interference again, or he might not.

Are we to believe that you had this much conviction on Jerry's incompetence when the Cowboys were winning all of those Championships? ..So right after that first SB win, you were telling everyone, Jerry is completely useless? ..and again after 2 more?

To a degree I can't blame you but I see this as just resentment for Jerry's failures over the last 15 years or so. The man won 3 and I will never understand how the he does not get an ounce of credit or respect for that.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we to believe that you had this much conviction on Jerry's incompetence when the Cowboys were winning all of those Championships? ..So right after that first SB win, you were telling everyone, Jerry is completely useless? ..and again after 2 more?

To a degree I can't blame you but I see this as just resentment for Jerry's failures over the last 15 years or so. The man won 3 and I will never understand how the he does not get an ounce of credit or respect for that.

you're right....jerry with jimmy putting the players together PRE SALARY CAP ERA was awesome.

Think how Washington and Dallas would dominate if we could just go back to no salary cap.
If only jerry coulda stayed in the back seat two more years when parcells cared about restoring the luster to the star. not jerry....gotta win jerry's way and the results speak for themselves. Least to me they sure do.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at the Jerrah apologists on here. It took about 3 years for Jerrah to ruin the roster Jimmy built. Then after about about 5 years he brought in Parcells. The Cowboys immediatly became more competitive and the roster was immensely improved. 3 years later the cowboys finish 6 and 10. Look for another big name real coach to be in dallas next season. Things will then start to improve. The pattern is easy to see.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am going to hurt some feelings,but the biggest problem we have after Jerrah is the head coach. Garretts horrible scheme and clock management gaffes lose us about 2 to 4 games every season. Jerrah claims that he wants Garrett to stay because Garrett has now learned everything there is to know about being a head coach? IS HE FAKING serious? A friging blind chimp could pull plays out of a bucket and probably get better results.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're right....jerry with jimmy putting the players together PRE SALARY CAP ERA was awesome.

Think how Washington and Dallas would dominate if we could just go back to no salary cap.
If only jerry coulda stayed in the back seat two more years when parcells cared about restoring the luster to the star. not jerry....gotta win jerry's way and the results speak for themselves. Least to me they sure do.

Agreed.
No Salary Cap Jerry would be one of the best Owners. Not because he is smart, but because his ego has to win. He would spend whatever it took to get whatever player(s) to win.
Cap era is where we cringe, & where his ego gets in the way.

No cap. Ego a plus.
Cap era, ego a minus.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.
No Salary Cap Jerry would be one of the best Owners. Not because he is smart, but because his ego has to win. He would spend whatever it took to get whatever player(s) to win.
Cap era is where we cringe, & where his ego gets in the way.

No cap. Ego a plus.
Cap era, ego a minus.

Great point

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree totally. I am far from a Jerry apologist, but the biggest problem with most guys in the media, or punching a keyboard(present company included) is the ability to be fair. If you want to say Jones was the worst GM in the league for a 15 year stretch, it would be hard to defend. On the other hand, IMO anyway, you have to give him credit for his role in the 3 Championships. People went nuts when he hired Jimmy, and when he kept him after 1-15. And while he made some poor moves after the 3 Championships, it's got to be pointed out that the Cap going into play would have made it a struggle for any GM in Dallas...everyone was overpaying for solid Cowboys starters, and Dallas couldn't match. Alvin Harper, Ken Norton, Russell Maryland, Jimmy Johnson, on and on. And Jerry had mega stars that he was loyal to past their prime like Troy and Emmitt. And for all those saying he was wrong to stick with those guys past their prime, you'd better be leading the charge to cut Romo, Ware and Witten now or explain what the difference is

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree totally. I am far from a Jerry apologist, but the biggest problem with most guys in the media, or punching a keyboard(present company included) is the ability to be fair. If you want to say Jones was the worst GM in the league for a 15 year stretch, it would be hard to defend. On the other hand, IMO anyway, you have to give him credit for his role in the 3 Championships. People went nuts when he hired Jimmy, and when he kept him after 1-15. And while he made some poor moves after the 3 Championships, it's got to be pointed out that the Cap going into play would have made it a struggle for any GM in Dallas...everyone was overpaying for solid Cowboys starters, and Dallas couldn't match. Alvin Harper, Ken Norton, Russell Maryland, Jimmy Johnson, on and on. And Jerry had mega stars that he was loyal to past their prime like Troy and Emmitt. And for all those saying he was wrong to stick with those guys past their prime, you'd better be leading the charge to cut Romo, Ware and Witten now or explain what the difference is

Romo isn't past his prime when he signed his new deal.
Don't believe we will resign Ware to some huge contract. may not make it through his current contract.
We wont resign Witten to a new huge contract either. Another side note. going off memory. Didn't we let Emmitt walk? (to the Cards)

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo isn't past his prime when he signed his new deal.
Don't believe we will resign Ware to some huge contract. may not make it through his current contract.
We wont resign Witten to a new huge contract either. Another side note. going off memory. Didn't we let Emmitt walk? (to the Cards)

The point is, Jerry could have cut those star players when they were taking up a ton of cap space, but he was trying to win his 4th. He also lost half the team they had assembled because other teams were overpaying for their role players. After winning 3 out of 4, with a salary cap coming into play for the first time, it would have been tough for anyone to sustain a winning record. Certainly the Galloway and Roy Williams trades killed us, as did not drafting Randy Moss because our image was in the gutter. He may be an egomaniac, but we're some pretty spoiled fans in Dallas. There are probably a few fans in Cleveland, Buffalo, Jax, Arizona, Cinnci, NYJ, Philly, Detroit, Washington, ATL, Carolina, Miami, Tampa, Houston, and KC that would cut their owner some slack if he won 3

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is, Jerry could have cut those star players when they were taking up a ton of cap space, but he was trying to win his 4th. He also lost half the team they had assembled because other teams were overpaying for their role players. After winning 3 out of 4, with a salary cap coming into play for the first time, it would have been tough for anyone to sustain a winning record. Certainly the Galloway and Roy Williams trades killed us, as did not drafting Randy Moss because our image was in the gutter. He may be an egomaniac, but we're some pretty spoiled fans in Dallas. There are probably a few fans in Cleveland, Buffalo, Jax, Arizona, Cinnci, NYJ, Philly, Detroit, Washington, ATL, Carolina, Miami, Tampa, Houston, and KC that would cut their owner some slack if he won 3

Well Washington is always cutting their owner slack. :heh:

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that is wrong with your post and 99% of the national media's comments on Jerry when they say the Cowboys will never reach a Super Bowl, is that Jerry has already reached and won 3 of them. For all the stupid stuff he's done, he's done some brilliant things as well. When he hired Jimmy Johnson, and said he would be worth several number 1 picks, everyone laughed. When the Cowboys went 1-15 in Johnsons first year, how many of todays owners would have fired Jimmy? Jerry deserves credit first for hiring Jimmy and second for not letting him go. In the end, Jerry does a lot of stupid crap, BUT, when he bought the team, what was it worth, what, $150-160 million and playing in the old Texas Stadium. Now, the club is worth at least $2 Billion, they play in a Billion dollar stadium that is the envy of the league, and have 3 Super Bowls under his watch. Not to mention the Billions his marketing ideas have made the other owners around the league. It's fine to rip his bad moves, but your 3 Championships late on the ''They'll never win one'' stuff
Jimmy is responsible for building that team. He was awesome in player evaluation. And again, if you go back just a bit farther, you will find if it wasn't for Tom Landry and his constant vision he had for the benefit of the team, we never would have has the draft choices to get Aikman and Irvin. And thanks to Landry for drafting Hershal Walker which Jimmy used to get 5 players. Jerry will never get any credit from me for anything except for ruining the Cowboy image and everything it has stood for before he bought the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy is responsible for building that team. He was awesome in player evaluation. And again, if you go back just a bit farther, you will find if it wasn't for Tom Landry and his constant vision he had for the benefit of the team, we never would have has the draft choices to get Aikman and Irvin. And thanks to Landry for drafting Hershal Walker which Jimmy used to get 5 players. Jerry will never get any credit from me for anything except for ruining the Cowboy image and everything it has stood for before he bought the team.

Your hatred for the guy is pretty obvious, and I feel the same way about Jimmy and later Parcells being the only two guys that have ever been able to make it work with Jerry. And they did so with great results. But I disagree with a couple of your points. Number one, It wasn't Landry's vision that netted us the ability to draft Irvin and Troy, it was a fact that the Cowboys record sucked at the time. And while the Walker deal is the greatest trade ever, I remember hearing a lot of people going nuts in Dallas when he was traded. Bottom line, if Jerry had never bought the team, Jimmy would have never been hired, and whoever was might not have had an owner who would shell out the money for anything his coach wanted, like Jerry did for Jimmy. In other words, without Jerry, we might well still have two Super Bowls titles instead of 5

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry's role in the Championships was hiring Jimmy and then saying "OK, Jimmy" for a number of years. Then he started to get upset over not getting any credit and started to think he knew what to do and ever since, his tragic flaw has been trying to prove himself worthy of a job no one else in the World thinks he can do...

I'll go to my two "go to" questions about Jerry...if he sold the team today would any other team hire him as GM? If anyone else was our GM since the mid 90's would they have been fired or would they still have the job? We keep going through coaches, but the biggest problem is the players on the team. That is Jerry's doing.

We may someday win a SB with Jerry, but it will be in spite of him, not because of him. Every team has strengths and weaknesses and sometimes the strengths hide the weaknesses. Maybe we get lucky on a few more draft picks and turn this around, but it's clear luck will be at least as necessary as skill unless Jerry stays on the sideline when it comes to decision making like he should. I've said for the last few years I like our drafts in general. I think since Jerry knows he has no clue about most of these college kids, so he goes with the opinions of his staff for the most part. When it comes to FAs he clearly is out of his league because he knows just enough to have at least watched most of these players and he can't help but overpay when he sees someone he wants, not realizing that there is always another option when you have cap space. His absolute worst qualities though are cap management and evaluating his own players. He obviously overvalues his guys and overpays them because of this. I wonder if he props up his team so much each year when he says we are only a player away, that he actually starts to believe these guys are all that good.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry's role in the Championships was hiring Jimmy and then saying "OK, Jimmy" for a number of years. Then he started to get upset over not getting any credit and started to think he knew what to do and ever since, his tragic flaw has been trying to prove himself worthy of a job no one else in the World thinks he can do...

I'll go to my two "go to" questions about Jerry...if he sold the team today would any other team hire him as GM? If anyone else was our GM since the mid 90's would they have been fired or would they still have the job? We keep going through coaches, but the biggest problem is the players on the team. That is Jerry's doing.

We may someday win a SB with Jerry, but it will be in spite of him, not because of him. Every team has strengths and weaknesses and sometimes the strengths hide the weaknesses. Maybe we get lucky on a few more draft picks and turn this around, but it's clear luck will be at least as necessary as skill unless Jerry stays on the sideline when it comes to decision making like he should. I've said for the last few years I like our drafts in general. I think since Jerry knows he has no clue about most of these college kids, so he goes with the opinions of his staff for the most part. When it comes to FAs he clearly is out of his league because he knows just enough to have at least watched most of these players and he can't help but overpay when he sees someone he wants, not realizing that there is always another option when you have cap space. His absolute worst qualities though are cap management and evaluating his own players. He obviously overvalues his guys and overpays them because of this. I wonder if he props up his team so much each year when he says we are only a player away, that he actually starts to believe these guys are all that good.

Very well stated. If people could keep emotion out of the equation this is how they'd see the Jerry situation.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you even suggesting Landry wanted his teams to be bad and play for the #1 pick on purpose? You are brilliant. Just simply amazing.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with everything you said. He's sucked as a GM for a long time. But I give him credit for the 3 Super Bowls because he said at that first infamous press conference that the man he was bringing in, Jimmy Johnson, would be more valuable to the club than multiple 1st round picks. He was dead on about Jimmy, even though everyone hated his guts for the way Landry was let go. And when they went 1-15 in Jimmy's 1st year, and the entire national media was killing him AND Jimmy, Jerry didn't fire Jimmy. He has sucked ass since the mid 90's, but I can't take away his credit for the Super Bowls even if I don't like him. Even if all he did was hire Jimmy and give him anything he wanted, what more could you ask? I just have to wonder why he wouldn't keep that same formula and win another 3-4 titles the last 20 years

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you said. He's sucked as a GM for a long time. But I give him credit for the 3 Super Bowls because he said at that first infamous press conference that the man he was bringing in, Jimmy Johnson, would be more valuable to the club than multiple 1st round picks. He was dead on about Jimmy, even though everyone hated his guts for the way Landry was let go. And when they went 1-15 in Jimmy's 1st year, and the entire national media was killing him AND Jimmy, Jerry didn't fire Jimmy. He has sucked ass since the mid 90's, but I can't take away his credit for the Super Bowls even if I don't like him. Even if all he did was hire Jimmy and give him anything he wanted, what more could you ask? I just have to wonder why he wouldn't keep that same formula and win another 3-4 titles the last 20 years

Just as I argue with those who say Jerry nor Romo will ever win a SB doesn't mean the 90's success will get Jerry another. As for Jerry getting credit or not the support for his role has to be questioned due to the lack of success post Jimmy. Jerry's EGO might as well be the Boulder Dam to success of this team at the moment. Take out the ego and the owner would have fired the GM years ago.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:10::agree::10::agree: