• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Concussion Protocol and NFL

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All players lie about it. It's the team's job to protect the player from himself.
From a moral stand point absolutely, everyone knows the Dolphins are shitty in this, Tua still gave them the window to avoid actual accountability.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All players lie about it. It's the team's job to protect the player from himself.
No it isn’t. If a player wants to lie or manipulate the protocol that’s a conscious decision made by the player. It’s absurd that a person has to be protected from their choice to lie or to obfuscate. Fighting concussions takes a partnership. If one of the parties lies they can’t hold someone else responsible for that decision.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the coaches job to protect the players from themselves. They are under a lot of pressure to play through injury.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it isn’t. If a player wants to lie or manipulate the protocol that’s a conscious decision made by the player. It’s absurd that a person has to be protected from their choice to lie or to obfuscate. Fighting concussions takes a partnership. If one of the parties lies they can’t hold someone else responsible for that decision.
The whole concept of "team" means people are doing what they think is best for the common goal. Tua thinks him playing is best, because that's his role and he believes in himself. Medical staff has a different role, and coaches have yet another role. They're able to say that what's best for the team is for Tua to sit regardless of what he says.

The other party in the concussion partnership isn't the individual player anyway, but the players' union. They're trying to hold the league accountable for player safety, but they agreed to a flawed policy.

In the end it's the League (and the sport) that will suffer from this. And Tua.

Tua definitely bears some responsibility for his own suffering, just as if he had opted to play without a helmet. But the league doesn't allow guys to play without helmets. They take that choice out of their hands.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole concept of "team" means people are doing what they think is best for the common goal. Tua thinks him playing is best, because that's his role and he believes in himself. Medical staff has a different role, and coaches have yet another role. They're able to say that what's best for the team is for Tua to sit regardless of what he says.

The other party in the concussion partnership isn't the individual player anyway, but the players' union. They're trying to hold the league accountable for player safety, but they agreed to a flawed policy.

In the end it's the League (and the sport) that will suffer from this. And Tua.

Tua definitely bears some responsibility for his own suffering, just as if he had opted to play without a helmet. But the league doesn't allow guys to play without helmets. They take that choice out of their hands.
Nope. This is just mitigation to justify a person lying and obfuscating the protocol. Why should anyone value the health condition of another when they Demi state that they don’t? This is just common sense.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. This is just mitigation to justify a person lying and obfuscating the protocol. Why should anyone value the health condition of another when they Demi state that they don’t? This is just common sense.
Because your team's/league's success depends on it.

(We're veering dangerously close to political philosophy here, which is kind of great, but not the forum for it.)

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because your team's/league's success depends on it.

(We're veering dangerously close to political philosophy here, which is kind of great, but not the forum for it.)
What are people supposed to do when players lie

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are people supposed to do when players lie
Write a policy where them lying doesn't change much. The problem here is first the policy, second Tua lying to take advantage of it, and third McDaniel for not sitting Tua anyway.

It takes a village.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Write a policy where them lying doesn't change much. The problem here is first the policy, second Tua lying to take advantage of it, and third McDaniel for not sitting Tua anyway.

It takes a village.
What if one person sets the village on fire. Are the other parties responsible for the destruction of the village or is it the responsibility of the person who set fire to the village?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It takes a village.
The policy is fine. There is no perfect protocol. There never will be. One way the protocol falls apart is if one of the participants shits on their role they must play in the system.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get all that but common sense would say, "sure he "passed" all these tests" but do we truly know how well he is?
There was no reason for the experts to hurry the decision. Should have watched him awhile longer.
Ultimately, they have to make a decision.
I've suffered one concussion in my life. I had no symptoms but definately had symptoms that evening.....

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the affect is in your spine it could easily give you cowwebs. I tend to think it was his back. Remember these guys are seen by an independent doctor, whom I am pretty sure does not want to lose his license
Who gets up from a spine injury and starts shaking their head?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's your fall guy. He deserves to be fired for sure, but he isn't the only one who does and he will be the only one who is.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, good morning and I’m here to eat some shit. I’ve been defending a protocol based on the assumption that a qualified medical professional did his or her job as it’s laid out to be done. The more this story develops, it looks like that wasn’t the case.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, good morning and I’m here to eat some shit. I’ve been defending a protocol based on the assumption that a qualified medical professional did his or her job as it’s laid out to be done. The more this story develops, it looks like that wasn’t the case.
That is part of the problem, yes, but players need to sack up and tell coaches " Hey something is not right I want another opinion"

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no reason for the experts to hurry the decision. Should have watched him awhile longer.
Ultimately, they have to make a decision.
I've suffered one concussion in my life. I had no symptoms but definately had symptoms that evening.....

and they certainly should not have let him fly home that night