• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Concussion Protocol and NFL

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those unfamiliar, you can't tough out a brain injury. Nobody's brain is tough; everybody's is wet gush.

iu

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was slammed to the ground

Yeah, in slo-mo from behind it didn't look that bad to me and that his arm and shoulder took the brunt of it. But in real time you can really see how hard he was thrown to the ground. It was worse than I initially thought.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had a couple concussions (insert jokes) and it took a week or so for the cobwebs to clear.

I got my first one my very first year playing tackle football... in 6th grade. I got kicked in the head making a tackle. I played through my junior year of hs and had a few more over that time. They were all when playing defense, even though I was a running back on offense. My folks made me quit after the last one. I was pretty upset about it but it was probably for the best.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7-14 days to recover from concussion for 80-90% of people with an average of 10 days

Maybe these guys need to sit out a mandatory game or two if they are concussed. And we all know it was a concussion vs the Bills. Bad look for NFL and Dolphins

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got my first one my very first year playing tackle football... in 6th grade. I got kicked in the head making a tackle. I played through my junior year of hs and had a few more over that time. They were all when playing defense, even though I was a running back on offense. My folks made me quit after the last one. I was pretty upset about it but it was probably for the best.
My worst one was in a motorcycle accident, managed to break my jaw badly wearing a full face helmet.
I was zoned out for a week.
He has to sit for a while.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad the doctors lied to everyone for 2 years and now no one believes them. A whole lot of "sit back down, nerd" going on here.

Let's all remember it's Tua's own head and just because he signed a contract doesn't mean the league owns it.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again...we all did on the internet.
Maybe you should buy an hour with a whore or something. Why are you always so miserable and bitter on here?

312ABE84-A1F3-49F8-998D-4E8ECE9D1F84.jpeg

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, in slo-mo from behind it didn't look that bad to me and that his arm and shoulder took the brunt of it. But in real time you can really see how hard he was thrown to the ground. It was worse than I initially thought.
I don't even think it's this event as much as this event on the heels of last Sunday.

If somebody just puts together quick clips of last Sunday's fall, him wobbling afterwards, and this hit and the aftermath, it will look callous and reckless to have put him back out there.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beats me shithead...maybe it's your comedy show you display

BUT Cartoons are always nice!
Are you talking to me? Why not hit replay you vag?

Is that why you’re miserable all the time? The world has turned you into a meager little cuckold?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even think it's this event as much as this event on the heels of last Sunday.

If somebody just puts together quick clips of last Sunday's fall, him wobbling afterwards, and this hit and the aftermath, it will look callous and reckless to have put him back out there.
Why would we use the court of public opinion when highly qualified medical personnel actually did multiple evaluations?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we use the court of public opinion when highly qualified medical personnel actually did multiple evaluations?
The "qualified medical personnel" was Tua Tagovailoa, and there weren't "multiple evaluations." The medical stuff went through the checklist in the NFL concussion policy (NFL Concussion Diagnosis and Management Protocol).

Here's the problem:

If a player exhibits or reports any of the following signs or symptoms of concussion, he must be removed immediately from the field of play and transported to the locker room. If a neutral sideline observer or a member of the player's club's medical team observes a player exhibit or receives a report that a player has experienced any of the following signs or symptoms, the player shall be considered to have suffered a concussion and may not return to participation (practice or play) on the same day under any circumstances:
  1. Loss of Consciousness (including Impact Seizure and/or "fencing posture")
  2. Gross Motor Instability (GMI), identified in the judgment of the club medical staff in consultation with the Sideline UNC, who observe the player's behavior, have access to the player's relevant history and are able to rule out an orthopedic cause for any observed instability
  3. Confusion
  4. Amnesia
So Tua told them he stumbled because he hurt his back, making it impossible for them to rule out an orthopedic cause. And boom, he's back.

And therefore NOT in a concussion protocol. There were no further evaluations before Sunday.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "qualified medical personnel" was Tua Tagovailoa, and there weren't "multiple evaluations." The medical stuff went through the checklist in the NFL concussion policy (NFL Concussion Diagnosis and Management Protocol).

Here's the problem:

If a player exhibits or reports any of the following signs or symptoms of concussion, he must be removed immediately from the field of play and transported to the locker room. If a neutral sideline observer or a member of the player's club's medical team observes a player exhibit or receives a report that a player has experienced any of the following signs or symptoms, the player shall be considered to have suffered a concussion and may not return to participation (practice or play) on the same day under any circumstances:
  1. Loss of Consciousness (including Impact Seizure and/or "fencing posture")
  2. Gross Motor Instability (GMI), identified in the judgment of the club medical staff in consultation with the Sideline UNC, who observe the player's behavior, have access to the player's relevant history and are able to rule out an orthopedic cause for any observed instability
  3. Confusion
  4. Amnesia
So Tua told them he stumbled because he hurt his back, making it impossible for them to rule out an orthopedic cause. And boom, he's back.

And therefore NOT in a concussion protocol. There were no further evaluations before Sunday.
Then someone is lying because the Dolphins maintain that he was evaluated every day this week.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then someone is lying because the Dolphins maintain that he was evaluated every day this week.
Do they? Evaluated for his head or for his back and ankle?

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy thinks that he might not be the same after that.

That guy would be right. Nowinski was a pro wrestler who had to retire because of concussions. He went to Harvard and had a medical degree to fall back on. Most guys don't have that option and will continue to push themselves too far.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they're screwed about putting him back into the Sunday game. Before Thursday, they were saying this:

Mike McDaniel confirms Tua Tagovailoa is not in concussion protocol - ProFootballTalk

"If he had a head issue he wouldn't have been back out there."

That was the narrative before Thursday. Tua's head is fine. No concussion protocol.

But if he was being checked for concussion symptoms all week, they suspected his head was not fine, and he shouldn't have gone back into the game on Sunday.