• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Search

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm missing something (entirely possible currently :D)

So why give a flip what they want if that's the case?

They haven't given in 12 years so imo they are NOT our donors. We have moved on.

The scenario about both walking away crossed my mind too, imo THAT is why Gibby is getting any play at all. I hate the thought of more stack but there WOULD be at least SOME continuity should he be hired as far as recruits/staff ect.
I hope that in the end that's not how it plays out but and Lyons and co. would have fallen on their faces imo but... stranger things
The one thing Gibson has is he is a pretty decent recruiter, in no way should he be HC with no experience, but there may just be room for him on staff, I read that quite a few of the incoming class (if it holds together) were recruited by him????? I agree that people who have not donated since Fraud rolled out of town are NOT WVU boosters, and no thought should be given to what they think, Lyons, Gee and the prospective hires should be all that are involved, former players, current players, ex boosters opinions should count about the same as my opinion!!!

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw It...I say we have come this far...give the fans what they want...BRING BACK RICH./..and will have Rita's WV Cheerleading outfit dusted off for her when she gets back!...it should be the ULTIMATE SHIT SHOW!!..

I suspect many West Virginia University football fans have followed with great interest (or at least morbid curiosity) the news about Rich Rodriguez and the University of Arizona. The school fired him Tuesday night following an unremarkable six seasons and amid a sex scandal.

Rodriguez’ former administrative assistant, Melissa Wilhelmsen has accused the coach of sexual harassment. According to the claim, Rodriguez made unwanted sexual advances toward Wilhelmsen and also pressured her to help keep his wife, Rita, from finding out about an affair he was having with another woman.

:puke::puke::sad2: :puke::puke:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm missing something (entirely possible currently :D)

So why give a flip what they want if that's the case?

They haven't given in 12 years so imo they are NOT our donors. We have moved on.

The scenario about both walking away crossed my mind too, imo THAT is why Gibby is getting any play at all. I hate the thought of more stack but there WOULD be at least SOME continuity should he be hired as far as recruits/staff ect.
I hope that in the end that's not how it plays out but and Lyons and co. would have fallen on their faces imo but... stranger things

JMO,

While I totally understand your point, I believe WVU needs serious help to push the football program to the next level.

How do you get there?

1. Catch up in the facility arms race.
2. Increase salaries for HC and staff.
3. Increase budget for recruiting coordinator
4. Increase size of recruiting staff and recruiting analysts
5. Increase social media contact with recruits with creative marketing.

All of which comes with help from donors.

It’s hard to go ‘All In’ without support from those who can really do it.

That ain’t me and my few thousand dollars or whatever I give MAC every year.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s what cracks me up about the WVU coaching selection - everybody knows you have to spend money to make money. If you are serious about being a big dog, spend some money. Not sure why big money donors would settle for Gibby and not pony up for a bigger named established HC.

Gee should have a say, but not the final decision. If Fickell is hired, it just shows me how much Gee is overreaching his role and the lack of juice No Balls really has. If Brown is Lyin’ Shane Lyons man, get him. If Gibby’s is hired, then we didn’t learn from our Bill Stewart brainless decision.
I have to hope that Lyons and Gee are going or went into?????? the interviews open minded, and not already decided on a guy. I think Fickell is going to be a GREAT HC, well on his way already, that interim stint at OSU a few years back matured him quickly!! I read that he is making nearly $3 million a year at Cincy, so WVU would probably have to pony up over $5 million to get him to move, is that the right move? I don't know, but I always look for value (value does NOT mean cheap, BB and Mad) I think Brown could come to WVU and make a positive contribution for around $2 million, I think there is huge upside to either guy, both are really good young coaches, a fresh start is going to be good for our program, we had grown stale, we are splintered, Holgorsen had grown tired of being here. All that being said, I think Brown is the better choice to coach in our current league, with our current players who are here. Fickell is a defensive guy first and foremost, and could do a great job with the right OC, but can ANY defense WVU can field stop, or even slow down the better teams in the league????? Oklahoma scored a lot on Alabama last week, who has better coaches and players than we will ever have, so offense it is, outscore folks is our hope, which NEARLY worked this year had we not had our hot dog screw up at critical moments. As much as I did not like Holgorsen and his coaching, I HATE change!!!!!! Get this hire done!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A new HC and staff will do exactly what for our program as it currently stands?

Best case scenario. We win 1 or 2 more games... pushing us to an 8 or 9 win season on average.

They ain’t gonna win recruits with what we have to offer.

If we want a program to compete for anything special, we need to build... we need serious money pouring into it.

Or we have a permanent ceiling...

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad my kid graduates in the Spring as I see a tuition hike on the horizon.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A new HC and staff will do exactly what for our program as it currently stands?

Best case scenario. We win 1 or 2 more games... pushing us to an 8 or 9 win season on average.

They ain’t gonna win recruits with what we have to offer.

If we want a program to compete for anything special, we need to build... we need serious money pouring into it.

Or we have a permanent ceiling...
We had a ceiling with our recent coach, recruits respond first and foremost to winning. You could have paid Holgorsen $50 million, and he would have had the same ceiling. Going from 7-8 wins a year to 9-10 wins a year is HUGE, you are in the news more, you are consistently ranked, the talking heads on ESPN are talking about you, people are excited to see you play. More than 1 in 8 times WVU has taken the field under Holgorsen it has resulted in a 20+ point loss, we have lost to teams we should have beat handily. Yes we have won a few we shouldn't have, but those are rare.
Standing back and throwing money at the football team is ridiculous, without careful thought to what you are getting for that money. I am all for paying the right coach what he commands in the market, but not for extending contracts and giving raises to a guy who was progressing very slowly. You don't give a half ass worker a raise hoping he will work better, you see the results of improvement and reward him as he gets better. I agree in spending on the physical plant, up to a point, a football locker room is just that, it ain't a penthouse suite in NYC.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO,

While I totally understand your point, I believe WVU needs serious help to push the football program to the next level.

How do you get there?

1. Catch up in the facility arms race.
2. Increase salaries for HC and staff.
3. Increase budget for recruiting coordinator
4. Increase size of recruiting staff and recruiting analysts
5. Increase social media contact with recruits with creative marketing.

All of which comes with help from donors.

It’s hard to go ‘All In’ without support from those who can really do it.

That ain’t me and my few thousand dollars or whatever I give MAC every year.
Oh I agree on all of that but hiring RR because of a few donors at the expense of half the fanbase bailing on your program for hiring its biggest villain who is also under investigation for sexual issues in todays PC climate? That aint gonna fly man, and I think they know that.
That doesn't make sense.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???:surprised::surprised:...WE move back to the Big East and someone forgot to tell me??..I BLAME YOU BBW FOR NOT SHARING!!...

Billy Stewart would not have come remotely close to winning 4 games in the BIG12....could you even imagine a Jeff Mullens offense in the Big 12?...WE would have been run out of the gym by 4 TD's on a weekly basis, between Casteel/Gibby and Mullen..
Stew did two things Holgosen couldn't, he beat Oklahoma and he beat Syracuse.......

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stew did two things Holgosen couldn't, he beat Oklahoma and he beat Syracuse.......

Nope that was RR team.....see it sucks doesn't it. :suds:

Looks like the early lock for coach is Brown from Troy.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the money.......

Holgorsen also has a pool of $4.5 million to assemble his coaching staff. That amounts to nearly $1.1 million more than what he had to pay his assistants at West Virginia — a pot made even sweeter by Texas’ lack of a state income tax. Houston’s salary pool for assistant coaches would rank third in the Big 12 behind Texas and Oklahoma.

WVU better get its head out of its ass and quit trying to get coaches at the dollar store. We need to start paying for these guys to stick around and build something here. If Houston can do it we sure as hell can.

WVU revenue was 110 million ...Houston was 56 million....we are falling behind to this f%cking bunch?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope that was RR team.....see it sucks doesn't it. :suds:

Looks like the early lock for coach is Brown from Troy.
Nope, look at who was coach of record.
I am liking what I read about Brown, looks like a good pick

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nothing else this board is getting interesting.

Let’s see how this ends up. It is up to “I hope he has Balls”

I wonder what Ollie would do?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a ceiling with our recent coach, recruits respond first and foremost to winning. You could have paid Holgorsen $50 million, and he would have had the same ceiling. Going from 7-8 wins a year to 9-10 wins a year is HUGE, you are in the news more, you are consistently ranked, the talking heads on ESPN are talking about you, people are excited to see you play. More than 1 in 8 times WVU has taken the field under Holgorsen it has resulted in a 20+ point loss, we have lost to teams we should have beat handily. Yes we have won a few we shouldn't have, but those are rare.
Standing back and throwing money at the football team is ridiculous, without careful thought to what you are getting for that money. I am all for paying the right coach what he commands in the market, but not for extending contracts and giving raises to a guy who was progressing very slowly. You don't give a half ass worker a raise hoping he will work better, you see the results of improvement and reward him as he gets better. I agree in spending on the physical plant, up to a point, a football locker room is just that, it ain't a penthouse suite in NYC.

I don’t disagree with you. We likely saw Dana’s ceiling.

My point is this though... we need to build this program. That doesn’t mean throwing money at our HC and his staff... unless they’re winning big.

I personally don’t feel a WVU HC can win big in the program’s current standing. They’re behind our geographic and conference rivals for recruits. We want to recruit the south. We are way most teams in the SE.

That’s my point. We need the deep pockets to invest. Clemson didn’t become Clemson until this process was put into action. PSU is going ‘All In’. UGA has gone ‘All In’. Fuck... even Purdue and UK have gone ‘All In’.

Simply look at the football projects these schools have either built... are building... or plan to build.

Our next HC will face the exact same challenges in recruiting. Unless he is the next Bill Snyder... we will have done exactly what by starting over with someone new and no booster support?

Dana has won pretty well since he got his boys to play for him. He started really recruiting for the Big 12 with his 2013 class. Those kids started contributing for him by the 2015 season. What was his record from ‘15-‘18?

Where have our recruiting classes been ranked over that time?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nothing else this board is getting interesting.

Let’s see how this ends up. It is up to “I hope he has Balls”

I wonder what Ollie would do?
It has ALWAYS been interesting on a WVU board!!!
Seeing as Holgorsen was Luck's guy, he probably would have given away the store after the ten win fluke a couple years ago, given in on the 100% guarantee, and we would STILL have only won 8 games this year, looking at a down year next year and been hog tied due to a huge buyout.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree with you. We likely saw Dana’s ceiling.

My point is this though... we need to build this program. That doesn’t mean throwing money at our HC and his staff... unless they’re winning big.

I personally don’t feel a WVU HC can win big in the program’s current standing. They’re behind our geographic and conference rivals for recruits. We want to recruit the south. We are way most teams in the SE.

That’s my point. We need the deep pockets to invest. Clemson didn’t become Clemson until this process was put into action. PSU is going ‘All In’. UGA has gone ‘All In’. Fuck... even Purdue and UK have gone ‘All In’.

Simply look at the football projects these schools have either built... are building... or plan to build.

Our next HC will face the exact same challenges in recruiting. Unless he is the next Bill Snyder... we will have done exactly what by starting over with someone new and no booster support?

Dana has won pretty well since he got his boys to play for him. He started really recruiting for the Big 12 with his 2013 class. Those kids started contributing for him by the 2015 season. What was his record from ‘15-‘18?

Where have our recruiting classes been ranked over that time?
Good post, brother. I agree on recruiting 100%, we need to invest big to get players coming, it does indeed cost money to run a football program, but it needs to be spent wisely. I feel strongly about getting HS kids, I think it is a MUCH stronger team when there are a lot of kids invested from the start, I get that we need to fill holes with transfers due to our location. WVU is a difficult job, no doubt, but not impossible. It is made harder by being in a league that is so offensive minded when we are located in an area that has more old school style HS football. That is one thing I did/do like about Fraud, he worked harder and smarter than most any other coach we have had. I am excited for the future, and I do think it was time on both sides to move on. I too hope Lyons makes a good hire, that we move forward as a united fanbase. Yes, we will always see things differently, some like offense, some like defense, etc, but, after all, we are ALL Mountaineers!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of yall seen/heard anything about who Troy would hire as their HC should Brown come to Morgantown? Would their DC be a candidate?
Vic Koenning - Wikipedia

Maybe we see Brown hired as HC and Gibby staying as DC:noidea: If the deep pockets truly are that hung up on Gibby then maybe that feeds the bulldog for now.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has ALWAYS been interesting on a WVU board!!!
Seeing as Holgorsen was Luck's guy, he probably would have given away the store after the ten win fluke a couple years ago, given in on the 100% guarantee, and we would STILL have only won 8 games this year, looking at a down year next year and been hog tied due to a huge buyout.
I think King Ollie would have either cut his ties with Dana if he could have brought in a better coach at the time, or, convince the “holdout” boosters the reasons why RR isn’t in WVU’s best interest at this time, actually ever. We know he didn’t have issues releasing coaches and he sure got a lot of funding for a lot of sports projects. That baseball stadium and football renovation was not manna from the sky.