• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots eyeing WR help

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots Eyeing Wide Receiver Help

Patriots Eyeing Wide Receiver Help
October 12th, 2019 at 9:07am CST by Ben Levine
While the Patriots are sitting pretty at 6-0, it sounds like the organization is feeling a bit uneasy about their receiver depth. As Jeff Howe of The Athletic writes, the front office would like to add a wideout prior to the October 29th trade deadline. It’s uncertain if New England is currently engaged in trade talks, but Howe says it’s easy to assume that Bill Belichick and Nick Caserio have reached out to rival executives.

Julian Edelman (ribs), Josh Gordon (knee), and Phillip Dorsett (hammy) are currently dealing with injuries, and Tom Brady hasn’t looked comfortable throwing to anyone beyond that trio and running back James White. While rookie first-rounder N’Keal Harry could start practicing next week, Howe writes that the Patriots would prefer a receiver who could “instantly command a defense’s respect, alleviate Edelman’s burden and help Brady.”

So who is the team eyeing? Howe says there’s hope within the Patriots organization that they could pry wideout Stefon Diggs away from the Vikings. It’s uncertain if Minnesota would consider trading the star receiver (the front office has said they won’t), and a deal would likely require a first-rounder. If another team engages in Diggs trade talks, then New England may be required to give up even more draft capital.

Assuming the Pats don’t end up with Diggs, Howe suggests a number of names that could be of interest to the defending champs. The organization had previously shown interest in Broncos receiver Emmanuel Sanders and Falcons wideout Mohamed Sanu, and Howe also points to former Pro Bowlers A.J. Green and Larry Fitzgerald (although their availability seems unlikely). The rest of the writer’s potential targets include Nelson Agholor (Eagles), Randall Cobb (Cowboys), Allen Hurns (Dolphins), and even Demaryius Thomas, who the Patriots traded to the Jets back in September.

Complicating the Patriots’ pursuit of a receiver is their limited cap space; the team is currently sitting with $3MM. The team could clear up some room by extending Brady, Devin McCourty, or Dont’a Hightower. Considering the team’s front-seven depth, the Patriots could also consider trading defensive end Michael Bennett.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nkeal Harry can start practicing with the team next week, I don't see the Pats going after a WR

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before the Patriots hire some poster on this forum to play receiver and Brady/Bill turns him (or her) into an all pro.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laughed at Nelson's name on that list. BB would cut him in the first quarter for dropping a pass.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take a Manny Sanders, please.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're into reclamation projects -> maybe sign Kelvin Benjamin off-the-street and do some intensive Weight Watchers program.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We talked about this in the Pats forum. AB Stated they gotta pay me, might as well play me, much as I hate the idea might as well. The league hasn't suspended him yet.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nkeal Harry can start practicing with the team next week, I don't see the Pats going after a WR
rookie WR's in any offense, let alone this one, tend to struggle. relying on him may be an issue.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We talked about this in the Pats forum. AB Stated they gotta pay me, might as well play me, much as I hate the idea might as well. The league hasn't suspended him yet.
yeah i heard that too. he didnt leave her with any bad blood, he understood why they did what they did. his issues are still up in the air tho.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i heard that too. he didnt leave her with any bad blood, he understood why they did what they did. his issues are still up in the air tho.
Well he did leave here with Bad Blood. He talked about Kraft getting all caught up in the club ie massage parlor, was not smart

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he did leave here with Bad Blood. He talked about Kraft getting all caught up in the club ie massage parlor, was not smart
yeah, but that was reactionary. he said he would come back here.

he sucks as a human being but he can catch a football.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, I just can't see management pulling the trigger on that, I have to think they would have already if that was the intent. This whole thing has a Kaep feel to where the league just sort of say's SORRY.... Difference being AB still got mad game.

Last edited:

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, I just can't see management pulling the trigger on that, I have to think they would have already if that was the intent. This whole think has a Kaep feel to where the league just sort of say's SORRY.... Difference being AB still got mad game.
huge risk, its why they let him go.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Antonio Brown would sour any SB win, imo. We don't need that idiot.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think there’s more to the AB situation than “we don’t want that kind of player on our team” stuff. I think the nfl strongly urged kraft to get rid of him.

The lawyer for the woman he threatened sent a letter to the nfl telling them that brown made the threats. In doing so she put the nfl on “notice” of his conduct. If he continued to make threats then I’m sure she would have added the nfl and the pats to the lawsuit.

After being put on notice both the nfl and the pats sent letters to brown telling him to have no contact with the woman. A day later he was cut.

I’ll bet the nfl advised other teams of the potential liability so now nobody will touch him.

It’s one thing to be a distraction. It’s quite another to be a legal liability. By getting rid of him the NFL and each of the teams rid themselves of a potential lawsuit. Easy decision.