• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clady traded to Jets

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Clady - New York Jets - 2016 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

The deal was signed as part of the trade in which New York acquired Clady and a seventh-round pick from the Broncos in exchange for a fifth-rounder. The new contract is a revision of Clady's Denver deal, which would've paid him $19 million over the next two seasons. Although the base value is $18 million, Clady's deal amounts to a one-year, $6 million pact with $3 million guaranteed and a non-guaranteed club option for 2017 at the price of $12 million. Incentives and escalators can push the deal's two-year worth to $21 million based on injury-ridded Clady's playing time. It's a fair contract for both player and team. The Jets now have Clady under control for his age-30 and age-31 seasons.

Truthfully, I'm just reading between the lines. It's not a new deal, it's the old one, but with no dead money. That tells me that Denver picked up the remaining portions of the signing bonus/dead money. Which they were on the hook for anyways.

But see you are reading that wrong. The Broncos have no choice but to pick up the remaining signing bonus. They already paid that day 1 of the contract back a few years when they signed him. So it is still a cap hit to the Broncos no matter if they cut him or traded him. Essentially all contracts when a player is traded end up having no dead money because the original team still has to pick up all guaranteed money of the deal at least for that first year. Now if there are guaranteed parts in the later sections of the deal then those are up to the signing team to take care of if they are still on the roster for that season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't the Jets cut him this yr and only be on the hook for the 3 mil if he don't work out ? And it looks like 1 yr is all they're gonna keep him with the way the contract is structured...
So how are the the Broncos saving almost 10 mil in cap space this season by trading him if they picked up the guaranteed money ? That's what's being reported...I certainly am no expert on the cap or these progressive contracts, but it don't seem to add up in my old horse trading mind ..:D

It is not quite being worded like he thinks. The Broncos still have a little bit of dead money because there was a signing bonus that is prorated over the entire contract at least for cap hit reasons but Clady is paid all that money day one so the Broncos still get a bit of a cap hit for it. They did not pick up any more of the contract though to make the trade happen. They still got the $8.9 million in cap space that they would have got if they cut him today instead of trading him.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not quite being worded like he thinks. The Broncos still have a little bit of dead money because there was a signing bonus that is prorated over the entire contract at least for cap hit reasons but Clady is paid all that money day one so the Broncos still get a bit of a cap hit for it. They did not pick up any more of the contract though to make the trade happen. They still got the $8.9 million in cap space that they would have got if they cut him today instead of trading him.

Now I can see that, but why is it being reported that they saved 10mil in cap space ?
Are they wrong ?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I can see that, but why is it being reported that they saved 10mil in cap space ?
Are they wrong ?

I could be wrong but I would say they are wrong. He was a $10.1 million cap hit for the season so maybe that is where they are getting the number but yes there is still a $1.2 million dead money hit to the Broncos taking it down to the $8.9 million area.

So my guess for the Broncos after allowing for $5-6 million for the rookie pool and another few million for injuries during the season they are about where they want to be. Probably not making any more moves. Now if the Kaepernick situation does start working in the Broncos favor they do have 2 options still to make the room needed but won't do it unless they have to as no reason to push some cap hits to later years. They could make Von MIller's first year cap hit very low like the Chiefs did with Justin Houston. The other option is turn DT's base salary into a signing bonus for this season with each situation opening up somewhere between $8-12 million. Again won't do that unless the Kaepernick situation goes crazy.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a great deal for Denver, especially if they can get full value out of the Okung signing. Clady had a lot of potential but I'm pretty sure his ACL is made up of the used tissues you'll find in my garbage can after I get done marathoning my season 2 iCarly DVDs.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a great deal for Denver, especially if they can get full value out of the Okung signing. Clady had a lot of potential but I'm pretty sure his ACL is made up of the used tissues you'll find in my garbage can after I get done marathoning my season 2 iCarly DVDs.

Now that's disturbing.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clady's played 18 games over the past 3 seasons I'm not seeing how anyone can't think Denver got screwed here. I mean the guy Denver signed to replace him has played 35 games over the past 3 seasons. If anything Denver got the better end of the deal given they were able to sucker the Jets into giving them a 5th round pick for a guy they basically considered to be garbage.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I read about this I think it's win win for both. Jets get a OT for a 5th and Denver picks up a 5th for a player they were gonna release anyway.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I read about this I think it's win win for both. Jets get a OT for a 5th and Denver picks up a 5th for a player they were gonna release anyway.

This is probably the post I agree with most on this entire thread. Both sides had reason to get this done. For the Jets they also get some much needed cap space with Clady taking a pay cut in the new deal giving them the room to bring in Fitzpatrick. As a Bronco fan I thought 5th round would be the best they could hope for. Clady's injury history made him too high of a risk for anything higher than that but figured might have a couple of teams decide to trade for him so that they don't have to get into a bidding war with other teams and thought maybe if they could get 2-3 teams interested they could maybe get a 5th out of the deal so I am happy with the Draft compensation.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he plays of course it is a steal, but it is basically a salary dump of a player with major injuries who may never recover. Then again, it's the Jets, they probably don't realize that.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe its about freeing up Kaep money, not sure why they'd need to make a trade to do so because I've been told they have all the money they need.
Nobody has "all the money they need" espacialy SB champions.
If he plays of course it is a steal, but it is basically a salary dump of a player with major injuries who may never recover.
Then again, it's the Jets, they probably don't realize that.[/QUOTE]

The Jets realize it. It's New Jersey - all about the headlines.
Jets are the Kardashians of football.....

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But see you are reading that wrong. The Broncos have no choice but to pick up the remaining signing bonus. They already paid that day 1 of the contract back a few years when they signed him. So it is still a cap hit to the Broncos no matter if they cut him or traded him. Essentially all contracts when a player is traded end up having no dead money because the original team still has to pick up all guaranteed money of the deal at least for that first year. Now if there are guaranteed parts in the later sections of the deal then those are up to the signing team to take care of if they are still on the roster for that season.

How am i reading that wrong? I know that they already paid him the bonus. I know that they had to take the cap hit regardless of what they did with him.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not buying it. Jets get a player but Broncos get something for nothing.....
Just because Clady is a name people assume that the Broncos got ripped off. If you aren't on the field plus Denver gets a higher pick and cap space seriously the Broncos as of now came out ahead of this trade. He was going to get cut. So Denver got something for nothing.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe its about freeing up Kaep money, not sure why they'd need to make a trade to do so because I've been told they have all the money they need.
Von Miller needs a long term contract eventually and the Broncos were going to cut Clady and he hasn't been healthy in 3 years so Denver got something for nothing. Higher pick and cap space. If Clady stays healthy then the Jets may have something but that's a big "if" and is Clady going to be as great as he once was? The Broncos made the correct move.