• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the Jets Overhyped?

Are the Jets contenders or pretenders

• Contenders

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Pretenders

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • They're the Jets, c'mon man

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason, the national media is really buying into the narrative that the New York Jets are a dark horse this season, now that they have Aaron Rodgers. My twitter feed is full of Jets camp highlights featuring that Ohio State receiver they got, and pundits applauding Rodgers for taking a pay cut so they could sign other guys and compete.

Are the Jets for real? Not for real? What do people think?

I predict 8-9, with a disappointing performance from Rodgers himself leading the way. Is he still microdosing?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, a team with Aaron Rodgers can't be a dark horse. They're either a favorite or Rodgers blew it or Rodgers got too old. If you're a HOF QB, you should never be 'slept on'. Wilson and Ryan last year, for example blew it and got too old and neither is as good as Rodgers.

Bills should be the favorite. Jets are contenders. Miami is a dark horse. New England is a tough out. imo

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason, the national media is really buying into the narrative that the New York Jets are a dark horse this season, now that they have Aaron Rodgers. My twitter feed is full of Jets camp highlights featuring that Ohio State receiver they got, and pundits applauding Rodgers for taking a pay cut so they could sign other guys and compete.

Are the Jets for real? Not for real? What do people think?

I predict 8-9, with a disappointing performance from Rodgers himself leading the way. Is he still microdosing?
All bets are off until we see if the O line can hold up.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it'll be a 3-horse race between Buffalo, Miami and the Jets, and it'll go all the way until late December.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets are overhyped. Rodgers is overhyped. The Packers finished 8-9 last season.

The AFC East will once again have one strong team and 3 weak ones. Buffalo wins the division and everyone else plays golf.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What led Aaron Rodgers to the Jets?

In short, Rodgers got salty because the Packers didn't consult him on responsibilities reserved for the general manager. Subsequently, the Jets gave Rodgers powers the Packers wouldn't.

Rodgers used that power to fill the Jets with 'buddies' he has power over. The Jets are doing everything you should never do for business success in any type of business.

That said, Rodgers is at his best when he has the most to prove. I expect Rodgers to play well this year. I expect the Jets will be in the playoff picture. I expect that it won't be enough to get the Jets to a Super Bowl, but it will be enough to get Rodgers some MVP votes.

Then next year, the Jets will be a complete disaster and Rodgers will subsequently retire.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m honestly torn. I believe in the Jets roster. I’m not sold on their coaching. I’m not sold on AR either. I see their floor at 7 wins. I see their ceiling at 13 wins. I’m no good to anyone here haha. I can see either one playing out. I’ll just hedge things and project 10-7 with a wild card berth and losing a first round road game in the playoffs.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think they are overhyped - the Jets have a lot of talent, and they probably would‘ve made the playoffs last year if they had had good QB play - their QB play was pretty dismal, and so going from Wilson/White/Flacco at QB to Aaron Rodgers at QB is a huge upgrade. They should have a very good team this year and I expect the AFC East to be a 3 way race between the Jets, Dolphins and Bills and I think the Jets will win the division.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In short, Rodgers got salty because the Packers didn't consult him on responsibilities reserved for the general manager. Subsequently, the Jets gave Rodgers powers the Packers wouldn't.

Rodgers used that power to fill the Jets with 'buddies' he has power over. The Jets are doing everything you should never do for business success in any type of business.

That said, Rodgers is at his best when he has the most to prove. I expect Rodgers to play well this year. I expect the Jets will be in the playoff picture. I expect that it won't be enough to get the Jets to a Super Bowl, but it will be enough to get Rodgers some MVP votes.

Then next year, the Jets will be a complete disaster and Rodgers will subsequently retire.
Business wise, I think this is already a success for the Jets. They were a dead product despite being in a big market. Just acquiring AR with the solid work they did on the roster over the last 2-3 off seasons created a buzz and an interest in the Jets that hasn’t existed since the Rex Ryan days. In that regard, just looking at this as a business move, the Jets have already hit a homerun.

Last edited:

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Business wise, I think this is already a success for the Jets. They were a dead product despite being in a big market. Just acquiring AR with the solid work they did on the roster over the last 2-3 off seasons created a buzz and an interest in the Jets that hasn’t existed since the Rex Ryan days. I’m that regard, just looking at this as a business move, the Jets have already hit a homerun.
They hit a homerun in a game they lose 1-11. Jets fans can go back to their annual hopelessness after this year.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, a team with Aaron Rodgers can't be a dark horse. They're either a favorite or Rodgers blew it or Rodgers got too old. If you're a HOF QB, you should never be 'slept on'. Wilson and Ryan last year, for example blew it and got too old and neither is as good as Rodgers.

Bills should be the favorite. Jets are contenders. Miami is a dark horse. New England is a tough out. imo
Fuck off!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no they are not overhyped... nobody is calling them a SB contender... only a potential playoff team... how is that being overhyped??

and of course they are going to be talked about... a HOF QB just changed teams... that will always be a hot topic NO MATTER WHAT....

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers were considered SB contenders just about every year with Rodgers at qb. It's a little different given the QB talent in the AFC, but Rodgers still carries a lot of weight. The bigger issue for me is that I think the Jets were extremely good on D last year and they won a lot of games with horrendous QB play. So, even average gains at QB would make them intriguing.... They also have some interesting young weapons on O that should be better. But, playing with higher expectations will lead to new challenges and offensive coordinators will have a new chance to see how to attack that D. The Jets will have to adjust to those issues. And, coaching is definitely still a question. I think they are legit playoff contenders but don't see them among the top 4-5 SB contenders in the AFC.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree that someone does seem salty...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the Jets are absolutely a team to watch and I would put them in the contender category right now. With even a little less than average QB play last year they likely make the playoffs. They lost 7 in a row to end the season, but were in the playoff picture before that. Their QB play wasn't just "not great", it was pathetic. If Rodgers is half of what he was it's a huge upgrade, if he pulls a prime Aaron Rodgers year out of his butt (not necessarily predicting this) it's one of the biggest single season upgrades ever. They drafted a couple of OL and we will see what Becton is IF (big If) he can stay healthy. They have some WRs now and some good young RBs if Hall is healthy and maybe they sign Dalvin Cook who is there on a visit right now. The defense is good and likely going to be even better and especially if Will McDonald is the pass rusher many thought going into the draft. I don't think they win a pretty competitive AFC East but I think they are a playoff team and kind of are built to win in the playoffs. The problem is how do you win on the road in January in KC, Buffalo and Cincy.