• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: CFP SEMIFINAL: Clemson (13-0) vs Ohio State (13-0) 8pm ET ESPN

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Football move"
Let's check out the rule book:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and --- CHECK

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and --- CHECK

(c) after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so. --- CHECK

It was a fumble by the very definition of the NCAA's own rules.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 steps forward trying to get more yards is not a "football move"?

I get wanting to troll as you've really got nothing else to do when it comes to CFB but you could try to make sense at least.

Be a better troll.

No, I've already listed what counts as a football move, but I'll do it again:

Maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e., long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.,

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't have to be helmet to helmet to be targeting. It can simply be forcible contact by leading with the crown of the helmet.
yet in other comments you've said it was targeting because helmet to helmet. Helmet contact caused as much by QB as the DB

Could you try and make up your mind?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e., long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.,
LOL he advanced it, you idiot. Whether or not he was going upfield or not is irrelevant. From where his body was facing, he took 3-4 steps forward in an attempt to ward off an opponent. It was a fumble. Clear as a bell.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and --- CHECK

(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and --- CHECK

(c) after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so. --- CHECK

You may need an updated rulebook...I always reference the current year version (Section 4, Article 3):

ARTICLE 3. a. To catch a ball means that a player:
1. Secures firm control with the hand(s) or arm(s) of a live ball in flight before the ball touches the ground, and
2. Touches the ground in bounds with any part of his body, and then
3. Maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e., long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL he advanced it, you idiot. Whether or not he was going upfield or not is irrelevant. From where his body was facing, he took 3-4 steps forward in an attempt to ward off an opponent. It was a fumble. Clear as a bell.

Sorry, you're wrong and replay confirmed that you were wrong.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really debatable.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, come on man quite a few things seem out of place on the SportsHoopla. If I were to call you out on anything you post that seemed out of place, I won't have enough time in the day.

*shrugs* oh well. sue me.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yet in other comments you've said it was targeting because helmet to helmet. Helmet contact caused as much by QB as the DB

Could you try and make up your mind?

It was helmet to helmet...but it being helmet to helmet is incidental. It is targeting because it is forcible contact leading with the crown of the helmet.

See section 9-1-3 and 9-1-4 for additional clarification if you are still confused.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, you're wrong and replay confirmed that you were wrong.
Are you just going to ignore what both of us just posted as the rules and try and say it wasn't a fumble despite the rules saying it was?

Let me ask you this: If the Clemson player was in the end zone and possessed the ball without bobbling it, and took three steps before going out of bounds, is it not a TD? Of course it is.

Stop being an idiot.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I've already listed what counts as a football move, but I'll do it again:

You really want to go against the actual rule per the NCAA listed above? Feel free to state what he did that would not have it comply for NCAA's own rules for a catch.