• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics '19'20 - Turning over a New Clover Leaf

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At any given time, though, the C's aren't gonna be replacing that crew with any more than 1 new body on the court... not as I understand it.

Rather, guys like Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are gonna be playing the 4 spot (where maybe a Marcus Morris might have manned this position in the past).

It'll be a trade-off, no doubt.... youth, quickness and versatility for size/toughness... but in this day and age in the NBA, it should work... at least during the regular season.

So, the plan will be... (at any given time on the court):

One Ball-Handler. Options include:
  • Kemba
  • Marcus Smart
  • Wanamaker
  • Carsen Edwards
Three Wings. Options include:
  • Marcus Smart
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Gordon Hayward
  • Semi Ojeleye
  • Grant Williams
  • Javonte Green
  • Daniel Theis
One Big. Options include:
  • Daniel Theis
  • Enes Kanter
  • Robert Williams III
  • Vincent Poirier ("Frenchy")

The problem, as I see it, is that there is going to be a lot of strain put on Theis/Kanter/Time Lord/etc when an undersized guy like Tatum or Hayward are playing the 4. Teams are just going to crash the paint with 2 guys and get Theis in foul trouble.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem, as I see it, is that there is going to be a lot of strain put on Theis/Kanter/Time Lord/etc when an undersized guy like Tatum or Hayward are playing the 4. Teams are just going to crash the paint with 2 guys and get Theis in foul trouble.
Well, on the fouls front... the C's have a lot of bodies and a lot of fouls. Quantity isn't necessarily the issue.

That said: I'm not suggesting the C's aren't gonna face issues with the way they plan to play. Only that the issues they will face will not be a significant hindrance during the regular season.

Keep in mind, also, that there are benefits to this newer, sleeker version of the Celtics. They should be very hard to contain on offense... and with their depth at the wing position they are gonna come at teams in waves.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, on the fouls front... the C's have a lot of bodies and a lot of fouls. Quantity isn't necessarily the issue.

That said: I'm not suggesting the C's aren't gonna face issues with the way they plan to play. Only that the issues they will face will not be a significant hindrance during the regular season.

Keep in mind, also, that there are benefits to this newer, sleeker version of the Celtics. They should be very hard to contain on offense... and with their depth at the wing position they are gonna come at teams in waves.

Oh I think the Celtics are going to score points. It's the defensive I wonder about.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expectations are down compared to this time last year... but there's a solid sense that we've hit our low point (some time last playoffs/offseason) and are looking to rebound and move on.

Gone is Kyrie... gone is Rozier... and good riddance. Here's to putting the locker room drama behind us. :suds:

This is a good team, y'all. I'd put them towards the top of the second tier of teams who are just outside the serious title contender group. With one or two developments or with one trade, that could change and the C's could be right there with the top.

Strengths -
  • Bonafide #1 scoring option in Kemba Walker.
  • Versatility and depth at the wing position... both offensively and defensively.
  • Real potential for improvement from guys like Hayward, Tatum and Brown.
Weaknesses -
  • Quality in the front court.
  • Defense at the 5 from options like Kanter and Robert Williams.
  • Defensive rebounding.
Looks like the plan is for the Celtics to run small(er) and fast this year. Defense may take a step back, but offense *should* be strong enough to compensate.

With regards to the front court, the C's actually have depth and options. What Boston lack are guys without flaws... every option seems to have one or more significant drawbacks. So Stevens is gonna have to game plan and change things up... from game to game and within games.

I'm excited. Kyrie was a weight on this team and it's nice to have that weight lifted. A new spirit of fun and brotherhood would be great to witness.

Let's go. :grouphug:

Your C's are going to be interesting.

I don't think they are as talented as they were last year. But I think they will be a better team than last year and will be more like the team we saw the season before last.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your C's are going to be interesting.

I don't think they are as talented as they were last year. But I think they will be a better team than last year and will be more like the team we saw the season before last.
I agree.

The main reason they are less talented is no Horford. Horford is an exceptionally talented and versatile big and the C's have no player close to how versatile he is.

But assuming better brotherhood in the locker-room... ( :hope: )... I think the benefits of that will out-weight all else.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does Browns $115 million dollar contract affect the C's? Do they have more money to spend now and in the future or does this hinder what they can do in the future?

It's scary to think that this is a "standard" contract/ re-signing whatever you want to call it though.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does Browns $115 million dollar contract affect the C's? Do they have more money to spend now and in the future or does this hinder what they can do in the future?
I haven't read that the C's are hamstrung or anything... they're still on pace to give Tatum the max in the next year or two...

Hayward in only contracted through '20'21... so the Tatum max will likely replace that...

... (I don't know if there is a "long term plan" with Hayward).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read that the C's are hamstrung or anything... they're still on pace to give Tatum the max in the next year or two...

Hayward in only contracted through '20'21... so the Tatum max will likely replace that...

... (I don't know if there is a "long term plan" with Hayward).

I am thinking this is a make of break it year for Hayward in terms of his future with the Celtics... Maybe 2021 as well due to his injury but it's put up or shut up time imo now for him as regards to him remaining with the team. Glad it shouldn't affect Tatum

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are your thoughts after the game last night?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics seem...little

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some combination of the Celtics being undersized and the Sixers being oversized led to a +20 rebounding discrepancy in favor of the Sixers. Celtics shot as poorly as they did in their worst offensive game last season. Some combination of 1st game jitters and the Sixers new defensive scheme.

There was no JJ Redick to abuse.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some combination of the Celtics being undersized and the Sixers being oversized led to a +20 rebounding discrepancy in favor of the Sixers. Celtics shot as poorly as they did in their worst offensive game last season. Some combination of 1st game jitters and the Sixers new defensive scheme.

A lot of people talked about how this team would miss JJ's shooting, which they will. But his defense was atrocious.

The Celtics shooting was definitely off, as was the Sixers. You don't want to overstate the meaning of a single game but I do think that Celtics are going to struggle against teams with a couple of bigs that can play(Sixers, Bucks, Raptors, Magic).

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Philly is gonna be a very strong defensive team.
  • I liked the hustle that Boston played with. I think they played hard.
  • I really liked what I saw out of Hayward. Not just the final stats... he seemed to be moving very well. (At times last season he was noticeably very hesitant and uncertain).
That's about it. One game against a very good Philly team... a team that Boston seems to clearly be a notch below right now.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the moves that Philly has made in the last year or two are in direct response to the weaknesses exposed every time they have played Boston the past few years.

It's working. Where perimeter defense, length and athleticism used to be a weakness for Philly, now it's a strength.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Philly is gonna be a very strong defensive team.
  • I liked the hustle that Boston played with. I think they played hard.
  • I really liked what I saw out of Hayward. Not just the final stats... he seemed to be moving very well. (At times last season he was noticeably very hesitant and uncertain).
That's about it. One game against a very good Philly team... a team that Boston seems to clearly be a notch below right now.

I think that rivalry will get closer as the season goes on. The Celtics had more significant roster changes and are still figuring some things out.

I think it will be the same with the Lakers/Clips.

Not necessarily saying that it either the Celtics or Lakers will end up being the better team. But they'll likely get a good bit closer.

Last edited:

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the moves that Philly has made in the last year or two are in direct response to the weaknesses exposed every time they have played Boston the past few years.

It's working. Where perimeter defense, length and athleticism used to be a weakness for Philly, now it's a strength.

Also, one of the main reasons Embiid and Simmons struggled against the Celtics last year was one Al Horford.
As much as his signing helps us, it may have hurt the Celtics more.