• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics '23'24 - Are We Topped Out?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These Boston Celtics have been a 'good team' for what seems like a looong time. They have a certain amount of star power. They are seemingly always towards the top of the Eastern Conference. They are seemingly always in the discussion as a possible Championship contender.

But things also always seem to end like they ended last season... with a Boston team that's seemingly less than the sum of their parts getting out-classed and out-competed when it matters most. Seeing Jimmy Butler put a lesser team on his back and just will it to victory against a better (on paper) Celtics squad in the ECF was.... incredibly frustrating (to say the least).

It's impossible to see last season as anything more than a disappointment. We have 2 veteran, star wings in the heart of their prime years... but the question ominously hanging over both of them and this team is...

... is this it? Good but not great? Stars but not superstars? Playoffs but no Championship?

Enter new hope in the form of Kristaps Porzingis. It took a major roster shake-up to bring in the Zinger (longtime core identity piece Marcus Smart was traded out), but everyone seemed to know that this team needed a new angle. I would characterize this as a moderate risk, moderate reward type move... if it works out, Porzingis might be the missing piece of the puzzle that finally puts a good team over the top... if, OTOH, injury woes strike... the Unicorn will amount to a pretty expensive folly and another lost opportunity.

Can the pair of Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown lead a team to a Championship? That's (still) the biggest question of all.

Here are my annual strengths and weaknesses for the Boston Celtics:

Strengths
  • Two Allstar Quality Wings - The backbone of this team continues to be Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. By now, these two are established veterans who are squarely in the prime of their careers. Their all-around excellence and ability to take that final step will determine Boston's title hopes.
  • Versatile Defense - Even after the exit of Marcus Smart, the C's boast a bevy of strong individual defenders (White, Brown, Tatum, RWIII) and a very switchable overall roster. Theoretically, this end of the court should be a strength of the team.
  • Veteran Roster - The Celtics are no longer a young roster looking to overachieve. Rather, they're a veteran team that should be Championship or bust.
Weaknesses
  • Potential Injury Concerns - The C's have a lot of guys who are significant injury risks... Brogdon, Horford, RWIII, and Porzingis come immediately to mind.
  • Pedestrian Depth - With Jaylen Brown securing his bag and the addition of Porzingis, Boston now has a ton of their cap $$$ concentrated at the top of their roster. This leaves less money left over to round out the roster... which could be huge concern if the potential injury concerns outlined above come to life.
  • Coaching - I don't hate Joe Mazzulla or anything like, but we still don't know what we have in him. He has inherited a pretty strong team. Can he coach it to a Championship, though?
First preseason game is in a week (October 8th). Regular season begins October 25th @ Madison Square Garden.

Let's F'n win it this year... now is the time. :yes:

Last edited:

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unofficial Depth Chart:

PG (1) - Derrick White, Malcolm Brogdon, Payton Pritchard, Dalano Banton, J.D. Davison

SG (2) - Jaylen Brown, Malcolm Brogdon, Derrick White, Lamar Stevens, Payton Pritchard

SF (3) - Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Sam Hauser, Oshae Brissett, Lamar Stevens, Svi Mykhailiuk, Jordan Walsh

PF (4) - Kristaps Porzingis, Al Horford, Jayson Tatum, Oshae Brissett, Sam Hauser, Mfiondu Kabengele

C (5) - Robert Williams III, Al Horford, Luke Kornet, Mfiondu Kabengele, Neemias Queta

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The EC is deep....that seems to be the biggest obstacle IMO.

I REALLY like the acquisition of Zinger. They had to do something and he is coming off (arguably) his best season.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C's appear to be in deep talks with Portland for Jrue Holiday.

Original offer was Williams and Brogdon plus 2024 1st and 2024 2nd according to rumors.

A second offer was then rumored to be Hauser, Pritchard and Williams plus 2024 & 2025 and a third team that would take Brogdon.

The Celtics wanted Holiday when he signed with Milwaukee. Wyck has told Stevens to do whatever is necessary to hang banner 18.

Celts are heavy favorite at 5/2 to get Holiday. But at what cost. Number ones will be very late so giving up 2 or 3 won't be a problem.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer my subtitle….

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One all star quality wing

Brown getting all nba was a sham based on how much money it would cost him if the writers did the right thing

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brown getting all nba was a sham based on how much money it would cost him if the writers did the right thing
You might have a point with "all nba"... Jaylen Brown is pretty clearly all-star quality, though.

Either way... the real question is: can he be a legit #2 on a Championship squad?

So far: the answer to that question has been no, of course.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C's appear to be in deep talks with Portland for Jrue Holiday.

Original offer was Williams and Brogdon plus 2024 1st and 2024 2nd according to rumors.

A second offer was then rumored to be Hauser, Pritchard and Williams plus 2024 & 2025 and a third team that would take Brogdon.

The Celtics wanted Holiday when he signed with Milwaukee. Wyck has told Stevens to do whatever is necessary to hang banner 18.

Celts are heavy favorite at 5/2 to get Holiday. But at what cost. Number ones will be very late so giving up 2 or 3 won't be a problem.
Depending on the trade price, Jrue Holiday should absolutely be considered.

It would definitely be an "all-in" type move, though.

The upside is a clear upgrade over Malcolm Brodgon (who is bit of a mercenary at this point in this career, and doesn't play defense particularly well).

The downsides are a) adding yet another big contract to our roster and b) compromising our big depth.

Imagine if we trade a RWIII and then (for instance) Porzingis gets hurt. We'd be dead in the water, with our salary cap maxed out and no way to fix things.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on the trade price, Jrue Holiday should absolutely be considered.

It would definitely be an "all-in" type move, though.

The upside is a clear upgrade over Malcolm Brodgon (who is bit of a mercenary at this point in this career, and doesn't play defense particularly well).

The downsides are a) adding yet another big contract to our roster and b) compromising our big depth.

Imagine if we trade a RWIII and then (for instance) Porzingis gets hurt. We'd be dead in the water, with our salary cap maxed out and no way to fix things.

the celtics window is basically the next 2 years.

After that, they have quite a few expiring deals and can reset below the taxline.

This is also the last year to aggregate salaries in a trade, so they should do that.

This god awful CBA is killing the Celtics before there's been one game of it yet.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally, I think he earned All NBA last year. I know you disagree. However, I don’t think it can be disputed that he’s an All Star.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season hasn't tipped off yet and I already miss Marcus.
Yeah... he was a great Celtic...

... that said, it was time to shake things up.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree it was time for a shake up. This probably won't happen but Jrue Holiday would look good in a Celtics uniform.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol... I should have waited a few hours before posting this thread, the analysis has been shaken up pretty dramatically...

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season hasn't tipped off yet and I already miss Marcus.

I agree it was time for a shake up. This probably won't happen but Jrue Holiday would look good in a Celtics uniform.

He was too inconsistent and thought he was part of the big 3

He was a good role player

That’s who he is

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was too inconsistent and thought he was part of the big 3

He was a good role player

That’s who he is

Completely agree. And I'm looking forward to seeing Tatum, Brown & Holiday together.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated Unofficial Depth Chart:

PG (1) - Jrue Holiday, Derrick White, Payton Pritchard, Dalano Banton, J.D. Davison

SG (2) - Jaylen Brown, Derrick White, Lamar Stevens, Payton Pritchard, Svi Mykhailiuk

SF (3) - Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Sam Hauser, Oshae Brissett, Lamar Stevens, Svi Mykhailiuk, Jordan Walsh

PF (4) - Kristaps Porzingis, Al Horford, Jayson Tatum, Oshae Brissett, Sam Hauser, Mfiondu Kabengele

C (5) - Al Horford, Kristaps Porzingis, Luke Kornet, Mfiondu Kabengele, Neemias Queta