• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics '19'20 - Turning over a New Clover Leaf

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expectations are down compared to this time last year... but there's a solid sense that we've hit our low point (some time last playoffs/offseason) and are looking to rebound and move on.

Gone is Kyrie... gone is Rozier... and good riddance. Here's to putting the locker room drama behind us. :suds:

This is a good team, y'all. I'd put them towards the top of the second tier of teams who are just outside the serious title contender group. With one or two developments or with one trade, that could change and the C's could be right there with the top.

Strengths -
  • Bonafide #1 scoring option in Kemba Walker.
  • Versatility and depth at the wing position... both offensively and defensively.
  • Real potential for improvement from guys like Hayward, Tatum and Brown.
Weaknesses -
  • Quality in the front court.
  • Defense at the 5 from options like Kanter and Robert Williams.
  • Defensive rebounding.
Looks like the plan is for the Celtics to run small(er) and fast this year. Defense may take a step back, but offense *should* be strong enough to compensate.

With regards to the front court, the C's actually have depth and options. What Boston lack are guys without flaws... every option seems to have one or more significant drawbacks. So Stevens is gonna have to game plan and change things up... from game to game and within games.

I'm excited. Kyrie was a weight on this team and it's nice to have that weight lifted. A new spirit of fun and brotherhood would be great to witness.

Let's go. :grouphug:

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team goes as far as brown and Tatum develop.

Brown was replacement level last year.

Tatum took a big step back.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loooking forward to the new-look Celtics tomorrow. Can't believe the season's starting already. Time sure goes by quickly.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tatum took a big step back.
Poppycock. That's a crappy hot take.

Maybe he didn't immediately take the next step as hoped... but it wasn't a "big step back" or anything like that.

Tatum's young and not necessarily behind any timeline.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So any Celtics fans miss Kyrie? I didn't think so.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy (7).gif

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poppycock. That's a crappy hot take.

Maybe he didn't immediately take the next step as hoped... but it wasn't a "big step back" or anything like that.

Tatum's young and not necessarily behind any timeline.

1.0 bpm to -.8 bpm

1.8 vorp to .8 vorp

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Kyrie, we will truly be able to see if he was the true problem, the only problem or only part of the problem. How truly healthy is Gordon? Can he remain healthy the entire season? Yes, I know it was an extremely fluky injury but it clearly effected him mentally. Is he mentally over it? Physically sure but does he have the true confidence to drive, cut and put all his weight on it?

What can Brown do? He got a huge extension, will he fade into oblivion since hes been paid or still play with a chip on his shoulder?

I'm expecting a solid exciting season. 2nd round playoff loss though

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said to you yesterday, G, this team is going to live or die based on their bigs. If Thies can step and be a legitimate lower tier starting caliber C then the Celtics are a 1-4 seed, most likely a 3 or 4 seed.

If not I would see them more as a 6-8 seed.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Kyrie, we will truly be able to see if he was the true problem, the only problem or only part of the problem. How truly healthy is Gordon? Can he remain healthy the entire season? Yes, I know it was an extremely fluky injury but it clearly effected him mentally. Is he mentally over it? Physically sure but does he have the true confidence to drive, cut and put all his weight on it?

What can Brown do? He got a huge extension, will he fade into oblivion since hes been paid or still play with a chip on his shoulder?

I'm expecting a solid exciting season. 2nd round playoff loss though

I really have no idea what to expect outta the Celtics this year. Just hoping they have a solid season. Hopefully Hayward's a little closer to his pre-injury form.

Two years ago without Kyrie the Celtics got to game 7 of the ECF. Last year when Kyrie had the opportunity to prove he could put a team on his shoulders he failed miserably in that series against the Bucks.

I don't remember the #'s but last year the Celtics had a much better winning % in games he didn't play.

It wasn't a fluke he disappeared in the 2nd round last year. Like I've said before he's a follower, not a leader.

If he can play Robin to someone's Batman that would be better for him. He isn't & never will be The Man to take a team all the way to the title.

It'll be interesting to see if he fails to get the Nets to playoffs since KD will miss a big chunk of the season.

And I wasn't happy when the Celtics got him. But I was thrilled when he left.

Okay, Kyrie rant over. My bad.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said to you yesterday, G, this team is going to live or die based on their bigs. If Thies can step and be a legitimate lower tier starting caliber C then the Celtics are a 1-4 seed, most likely a 3 or 4 seed.

If not I would see them more as a 6-8 seed.
A finish as the 6-8 seed would be a shockingly bad result in the East. Outside of major injury, I don't foresee that as a possibility... even if the center situation doesn't come together as hoped.

The C's may need improvement at the 5 if they have any hopes at competing for a title... but if we're just talking the regular season, the center spot has been de-emphasized in this day and age of NBA basketball.

Boston doesn't need their 5's to be world beaters to do well in the regular season in the East. They just have to fill a role.

Theis and company just need to be adequate role players. The talent surrounding them will get the C's to a 5th or higher seed.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A finish as the 6-8 seed would be a shockingly bad result in the East. Outside of major injury, I don't foresee that as a possibility... even if the center situation doesn't come together as hoped.

The C's may need improvement at the 5 if they have any hopes at competing for a title... but if we're just talking the regular season, the center spot has been de-emphasized in this day and age of NBA basketball.

Boston doesn't need their 5's to be world beaters to do well in the regular season in the East. They just have to fill a role.

Theis and company just need to be adequate role players. The talent surrounding them will get the C's to a 5th or higher seed.

It isn't just the center. The Celtics lost Horford, Baynes and Morris in the offseason. That's a lot of meat. Their replacements for those guys are Enes Kanter and some 1st and 2nd year players.

Unless Time Lord or Williams or some of the other youngins step up, the Celtics are going to struggle getting rebounds on both sides of the court. A team like the Magic are going to have a pretty huge size advantage.

The Celtics are going to need to be really strong with their perimeter shooting, IMO, to be consistently good. Because they are going to struggle getting boards.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really have no idea what to expect outta the Celtics this year. Just hoping they have a solid season. Hopefully Hayward's a little closer to his pre-injury form.

Two years ago without Kyrie the Celtics got to game 7 of the ECF. Last year when Kyrie had the opportunity to prove he could put a team on his shoulders he failed miserably in that series against the Bucks.

I don't remember the #'s but last year the Celtics had a much better winning % in games he didn't play.

It wasn't a fluke he disappeared in the 2nd round last year. Like I've said before he's a follower, not a leader.

If he can play Robin to someone's Batman that would be better for him. He isn't & never will be The Man to take a team all the way to the title.

It'll be interesting to see if he fails to get the Nets to playoffs since KD will miss a big chunk of the season.

And I wasn't happy when the Celtics got him. But I was thrilled when he left.

Okay, Kyrie rant over. My bad.

I remember talking with some of you guys about Kyrie's play 2 years ago. A lot of people were saying that the Celtics were going to be unstoppable because they were getting Hayward and Kyrie back.

The thing is, the Celtics had the same winning percentage when Kyrie was on the floor as when he was not, 2 years ago.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember talking with some of you guys about Kyrie's play 2 years ago. A lot of people were saying that the Celtics were going to be unstoppable because they were getting Hayward and Kyrie back.

The thing is, the Celtics had the same winning percentage when Kyrie was on the floor as when he was not, 2 years ago.

I wasn't one of the Celtics fans saying they would be unstoppable with Kyrie. And I think it speaks volumes about Kyire nonexistent leadership abilities that the Celtics had a better playoff run 2 years without him than what they had with him last year.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't just the center. The Celtics lost Horford, Baynes and Morris in the offseason. That's a lot of meat. Their replacements for those guys are Enes Kanter and some 1st and 2nd year players.

Unless Time Lord or Williams or some of the other youngins step up, the Celtics are going to struggle getting rebounds on both sides of the court. A team like the Magic are going to have a pretty huge size advantage.

The Celtics are going to need to be really strong with their perimeter shooting, IMO, to be consistently good. Because they are going to struggle getting boards.
At any given time, though, the C's aren't gonna be replacing that crew with any more than 1 new body on the court... not as I understand it.

Rather, guys like Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are gonna be playing the 4 spot (where maybe a Marcus Morris might have manned this position in the past).

It'll be a trade-off, no doubt.... youth, quickness and versatility for size/toughness... but in this day and age in the NBA, it should work... at least during the regular season.

So, the plan will be... (at any given time on the court):

One Ball-Handler. Options include:
  • Kemba
  • Marcus Smart
  • Wanamaker
  • Carsen Edwards
Three Wings. Options include:
  • Marcus Smart
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Gordon Hayward
  • Semi Ojeleye