• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cavs looking to swap love/mozgov for Demarcus Cousins and gay

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats don't tell the whole story. Situation matters. Thompson averages 27 minutes a game on one of the best teams in the NBA. Davis averages 21 minutes on the Blazers and could not earn more than 23 last year on a struggling Lakers squad that had very little big man talent. When played for a playoff team (MEM), he only played 15 minutes.

Look at per 36 stats all you want, but Thompson is a better player. I don't think he is worth 14 million, but Gilbert should have to pay a LeBron tax on this one. It is only fair.

Never said that Thompson wasn't better. However, as you said, he's not worth $14 million. The stats are close enough that if you replaced Davis with Thompson, you'd get pretty close to the same results for less than half the price. It would make very little, if any, difference in the Cavs overall record.

Thompson has that money for one reason and one reason only...he's Lebron's boy. If he had gone to any other team in the league, he wouldn't be getting much more than Davis is right now.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland should trade Love and a bunch of draft picks for that Wiggins character. Let's travel back in time.

By the way, who's the gay guy they want thrown in? Probably a baller.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said that Thompson wasn't better. However, as you said, he's not worth $14 million. The stats are close enough that if you replaced Davis with Thompson, you'd get pretty close to the same results for less than half the price. It would make very little, if any, difference in the Cavs overall record.

Thompson has that money for one reason and one reason only...he's Lebron's boy. If he had gone to any other team in the league, he wouldn't be getting much more than Davis is right now.

But,
The price does not matter.

They were over the luxury tax either way, and will be for years to come. So if I am LeBron, give me the better player and make Gilbert pay a lot more tax every single time.

The Cavs did not really have a choice here.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But,
The price does not matter.

They were over the luxury tax either way, and will be for years to come. So if I am LeBron, give me the better player and make Gilbert pay a lot more tax every single time.

The Cavs did not really have a choice here.

I don't think anyone disagrees that the Cavs had no choice. But that doesn't make him worth the money he's getting, hence him receiving no other offers.

If the Cavs win a title, no one cares how much he's being paid. However, if they don't and decide they want to trade him, they'll care a lot when they find that there are no takers.

It's kind of like Pau Gasol in his last couple of seasons with the Lakers. When the Lakers won a couple of titles, no one cared how much he was making. But when the Lakers were trying to trade him and couldn't find any trade partners, they cared very much about that $19 million per that he was being paid. But, at least they had a couple of titles to help ease the sting.

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All part of LeBron's master plan!

Watch, he will leave in free agency again after saddling them with bad contracts and making them trade Wiggins.

Thompson is not really the problem though. The problem is that Kyrie and Love are max players, yet contribute very little as far as helping the team win. I honestly believe the Cavs are only marginally better with those two than they are without them. Neither plays D and Irving is a ball stopper. It is really hard to beat the elite teams when your "superstar" players have traits like that.

Unless Lue engages Love and gets Irving to completely re-invent himself, the Cavs have no shot against the West champs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean- Davis is on his 4th NBA team in 6 years- and is going from being a bench warmer in a rebuilding project to a bench warmer in a rebuilding project and has never had a significant NBA moment.

About 6 months ago Tristan Thompson was being fawned over by announcers and analysts alike for his performance in the NBA playoffs where I think he was the 2nd best player on the team that got to game 6 of the NBA Finals.

Not too mention- Thompson is the NBA leader in consecutive games played - over 320- never complains, and what he does good- he does at an ELITE level. Davis has never- and will never do anything on an NBA court at NEAR an elite level.

ALL OF THESE CONTRACTS WERE SIGNED LAST OFFSEASON
If Demarre Carrol is getting 15 a year
If Jonas Valuncinas is being credited for giving a home town discount for taking 15 a year
If Enes Kanter is making almost 18 a year
If Brook Lopez is making 20 a year
IF Robinz Lopez is making 14 a year
If Tobias Harris making 16 a year
If AMIR FUCKING JONHSON is making 12 a year

I do not see how how 16 a year for Tristan Thompson is totally outlandish- is their a premium in there for the circumstances? ABSOLUTELY- but is it more than AT MOST 2-3 million? DEFINITELY NOT.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All part of LeBron's master plan!

Watch, he will leave in free agency again after saddling them with bad contracts and making them trade Wiggins.

Thompson is not really the problem though. The problem is that Kyrie and Love are max players, yet contribute very little as far as helping the team win. I honestly believe the Cavs are only marginally better with those two than they are without them. Neither plays D and Irving is a ball stopper. It is really hard to beat the elite teams when your "superstar" players have traits like that.

Unless Lue engages Love and gets Irving to completely re-invent himself, the Cavs have no shot against the West champs.
I am just so glad that Lue is finally at least going to emphasize each players strengths. The Cavs lost in Detroit earlier in the year- and they positively smoked them last night. Love/LeBron/Irving played the best together as they had all season. Lets hope it continues. Right now- teams go on runs against them because they get into a little bit of a funk here or there with learning the new system etc. but you can see where there is actually a plan- and they are trying to stick to it- instead of abandoning it for iso stuff when things get tough.