• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can Hassan Whiteside Be An All Star Next Season?

Is Whiteside All Star Material?

• Total voters
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.
He's a legit true center and def can make all star games.

I would have no problem watching as roster with Drummond, Whiteside, James, Anthony, George and company as your core of F/C.

:lol: So whiteside makes the team but Gasol, Horford, Bosh and Millsap don't?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've forgotten more about basketball than you'll ever know little buddy! Still doesn't make whiteside and all-star though :crazy:

Nonsense like that just proves my point.
Forget what you've told me, its what you've showed me, which is that you have opinions.
Most people don't agree with your opinions.
Go back no further than yesterday.
How's the voting going on the Whiteside poll?
Hell, you even voted option 2.
People who watch and understand the games realize that Whiteside has unique talent and with the expected development combined with a properly designed offense featuring a top, real PG could soon be one the dominating forces of the league.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: So whiteside makes the team but Gasol, Horford, Bosh and Millsap don't?

2 people have offered you bets.
You haven't accepted either. WHY?

No guarantees on any of them, but I'll take my chances with Whiteside over any person you just named.
Your ACTIONS show you won't.
So drop it.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much no matter what happens... this is going to be a fun thread to re-visit in about 7 months:D

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nonsense like that just proves my point.
Forget what you've told me, its what you've showed me, which is that you have opinions.
Most people don't agree with your opinions.
Go back no further than yesterday.
How's the voting going on the Whiteside poll?
Hell, you even voted option 2.
People who watch and understand the games realize that Whiteside has unique talent and with the expected development combined with a properly designed offense featuring a top, real PG could soon be one the dominating forces of the league.

So half the league and their scouts pass up on him, he ends up playing abroad or in the D-League for most of his career, he ends up playing half a season for the Heat and now he's an all-star because he has a handful of half decent games?

Right... that's not homerism talking...

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might if you watch any other team than the heat (if they're winning)

I GUARANTEE I watch more games then you do, league wide.
I don't give 2 shits about who wins them (other than Heat games), but FanDuel keeps me all over the place.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 people have offered you bets.
You haven't accepted either. WHY?

No guarantees on any of them, but I'll take my chances with Whiteside over any person you just named.
Your ACTIONS show you won't.
So drop it.

Sure, i'll take the bets! Easiest one I ever made!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So half the league and their scouts pass up on him, he ends up playing abroad or in the D-League for most of his career, he ends up playing half a season for the Heat and now he's an all-star because he has a handful of half decent games?

Right... that's not homerism talking...

He sat on the bench, here, behind Justin Hamilton last year.
I can't explain it, no one I talk to can explain it.

Regardless, once given the opportunity, while trying to fit into a new offense with new parts, he made the most of it.
ONLY things that held him back was committing stupid fouls and his temper.

Translate his stats into a starters normal MPG and the numbers are staggering.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much no matter what happens... this is going to be a fun thread to re-visit in about 7 months:D

Why?
The title uses the word "CAN"...not "WILL".

Point was to prove to Shaq that the vast majority of people feel he can, so point accomplished.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?
The title uses the word "CAN"...not "WILL".

Point was to prove to Shaq that the vast majority of people feel he can, so point accomplished.

Yep, you certainly showed me!

Whiteside is an all-star caliber player who will definitely make the team next year!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, you certainly showed me!

Whiteside is an all-star caliber player who will definitely make the team next year!

Nobody said DEFINITELY (but you), but then again people tend to make shit up in these situations when they are getting abused.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dieng is one of the reasons I want Towns over Okafor as a MN fan. Dieng and Towns can play together long term. Okafor and Dieng can't. Okafor and Dieng simply can't shoot well enough between the two of them to keep defenses honest. Towns on the other hand is going to be a killer shooter in time and will keep enough floor spacing with Dieng on the court next to him.

You do know that Okafor is considered to have the more NBA ready offensive game, right?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know that Okafor is considered to have the more NBA ready offensive game, right?

Okafor is a complete one trick pony. He can post up. That's it.

Towns does everything well. He might not have as advanced post up game but he does everything else better. Most importantly he can shoot. That right there will make him a better player year one IMO as at least he will be able to add a little spacing to an offense.

The stats a player puts up don't tell the whole story. Okafor in year one might have more points per game...but Towns IMO is way more likely to positively contribute to winning ball games.

Okafor is a really scary prospect IMO. You already know he will never be able to shoot the ball. He will be a 5 ft and in player. Which means he will always be clogging up the lane with his defender. Dieng already doesn't create any spacing. You put him and Okafor on the same court and it means the opposing team's big men are always going to be standing within a couple of steps of the hoop blocking any sort of penetration.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, the question is CAN Whiteside be an all-star next season? Of course, he can. Posters saying otherwise, haven't watched the kid play. If the question were WILL he be an all-star? That depends on him. If he keeps working hard, keeps improving, etc. then he likely will be an all-star. If not this season, then some season soon.

As for GM's passing on him. Sometimes, for whatever reason, guys are late bloomers. Sometimes, GM's just miss. Jordan Clarkson was the 46th pick and ended up being First Team All-Rookie. I'll bet there are at least a few GM's that are kicking themselves over not taking him when they had a shot. Hell, the Lakers weren't even playing him until they were pretty much forced to because of injuries.

Maybe Whiteside needed the time in those other leagues to allow his head to catch up with his talent? To teach him how much better it is to be in the NBA?

Maybe he needed that time to develop his overall game and get it to NBA standards?

Maybe he just needed a team to take a chance on him? Jermaine O'Neal was an end of the bench bust in Portland. But became a 6 time all star, all NBA 2nd team (2004), all NBA 3rd team (2002-03) and Most Improved Player (2002) in Indiana.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Towns does everything well. He might not have as advanced post up game but he does everything else better. Most importantly he can shoot. That right there will make him a better player year one IMO as at least he will be able to add a little spacing to an offense.

The stats a player puts up don't tell the whole story. Okafor in year one might have more points per game...but Towns IMO is way more likely to positively contribute to winning ball games.

Okafor is a really scary prospect IMO. You already know he will never be able to shoot the ball. He will be a 5 ft and in player. Which means he will always be clogging up the lane with his defender. Dieng already doesn't create any spacing. You put him and Okafor on the same court and it means the opposing team's big men are always going to be standing within a couple of steps of the hoop blocking any sort of penetration.

I don't know about a one trick pony and posting up is pretty important for a center. I agree that Towns has the bigger upside because of his defense and athleticism. But Okafor is likely to have the most immediate impact.

Honestly, I don't think a team can go wrong with either one and assuming they both end up in the West, those battles 4-5 times a year, plus possibly in the playoffs, are going to be fun to watch.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about a one trick pony and posting up is pretty important for a center.

It actually isn't that important of a skill any longer. Most teams don't want to throw the ball into the post and sit there and stand around watching one guy work.

There are a few hold out coaches however that still do it....and Flip is actually one of them in fact.

Andrew Wiggins posted up more often last year than Tim Duncan. And almost doubled the number of post touches of guys like Bosh or Horford.

It is why you won't see me talk TOO bad about Okafor. I really don't like him all that much at all. But I already am getting prepared to be disappointed (a trait that is needed in all MN Twolve fans).

But hey a post up game can still work in the NBA. Look at Memphis I guess.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually isn't that important of a skill any longer. Most teams don't want to throw the ball into the post and sit there and stand around watching one guy work.

There are a few hold out coaches however that still do it....and Flip is actually one of them in fact.

Andrew Wiggins posted up more often last year than Tim Duncan. And almost doubled the number of post touches of guys like Bosh or Horford.

It is why you won't see me talk TOO bad about Okafor. I really don't like him all that much at all. But I already am getting prepared to be disappointed (a trait that is needed in all MN Twolve fans).

But hey a post up game can still work in the NBA. Look at Memphis I guess.

I agree that the center position has been diminished a bit in the NBA, but post play is still important. I also think that we will start to see more emphasis placed on the post in a few years. Everything happens in cycles. The league is 3 pointer and guard driven now, but teams will adjust, start defending better and emphasis will return to the post players.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if you guys end up with Okafor. I know I won't be if the Lakers end up with him. Like you, I'd prefer Towns, but I won't cry if it's Okafor.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree- I think Towns is the #1 pick and I would not take Okafor 2nd- Id take Russell over Okafor. I dont trust Okafor- i think there is some bust potential there. He is a one trick pony and he does not seem to be that tough to me and you have to be tough to be a big man in the NBA. He seems positively SOFT.

Id go

1. Towns
2. Russell

and then depending on preference I could even talk myself into Winslow third. I think Winslow is going to be Kawhi-lite.