• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Way too early All Star predictions

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we're one of the hottest teams in baseball this question is more fun.

We can make cases for lots of guys but realistically I can't see us getting more than 3.

Doval is of course a lock. If he isn't an all star they should nuke the game from orbit

Guys that have very good chances: Tyler Rogers, Thairo Estrada

Pretty good chance: JD Davis

Outside chance, probably not: Lamont Wade, Logan Webb

Wild card: Patrick Bailey....he's probably the 3rd best catcher in the NL after Realmuto and Smith. Gives a lot of Posey vibes, he's a rookie but plays like a confident veteran, knows what he's doing, great defense, arm, pitch framing, handling pitchers. Oh and he's hitting .320 with an .889 OPS, 23 rbis in 30 games.

Also shout out to Gabe Kapler, he's managing the shit out of this team just like 2021. That was a flukey year but the team is similar, deep and mix and match vs set lineups and big stars.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on Doval. He's in. Best closer in the game.
Tyler: doubtful. Set up guys don't get love
Tyro: Maybe. He deserves it but isn't a household name.
JDD: probably not, but maybe.
LWJ: He'll get screwed, but he deserves to go.
Spyder: I think he's got a shot. Recognizable name, but he'll need to step it up the next couple outings.
PB: Not a chance, but he is the best catcher in the league since his call up. Best defensive and probably best hitter too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Bailey doesn’t have a chance THIS year. He just doesn’t have the miles on the odometer yet. If he keeps up this pace (or close to it), he could/should be an allstar mainstay for years.

But WAY too early for that kind of expectation.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Bailey doesn’t have a chance THIS year. He just doesn’t have the miles on the odometer yet. If he keeps up this pace (or close to it), he could/should be an allstar mainstay for years.

However, he may nudge his way into ROY talk if he can continue this pace.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, true. Still, Bailey may be top 3?
Sure. Or MAYBE he pulls a Matt Duffey on Kris Bryant and actually makes a race of it. It is certainly possible.

But a player with pedigree who performs will win 9 times out of 10 over a player without pedigree who performs (not to say Bailey has no pedigree, but when compared to Carol and De La Cruz, he doesn’t have any)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Phuk that, let's put the onus of THE BUSTER on him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite likely correct. But, imagine if he were to keep up this pace all year.

He'd be in the convo.
Than you have to grant those guys the same assumption.

IMG_2145.jpeg

IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_2143.jpeg

Assuming no crashes or shifting into another gear, and ignoring pedigree, Carrol has to win it, hands down. But it is closer than I gave it credit for. Based on pure performance, maybe Bailey would be in second place, based on his defensive premium.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Than you have to grant those guys the same assumption.

View attachment 332733

View attachment 332734

View attachment 332735

Assuming no crashes or shifting into another gear, and ignoring pedigree, Carrol has to win it, hands down. But it is closer than I gave it credit for. Based on pure performance, maybe Bailey would be in second place, based on his defensive premium.
I don't know how the 3 grade out defensively, other than Bailey carrying a defensive reputation that has generally held up this year. Carroll has the best offensive numbers but if De La Cruz is at least average defensively, based on his age and position, I'd probably vote for him for ROY, if all three continue to keep up the numbers through the end of the year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how the 3 grade out defensively, other than Bailey carrying a defensive reputation that has generally held up this year. Carroll has the best offensive numbers but if De La Cruz is at least average defensively, based on his age and position, I'd probably vote for him for ROY, if all three continue to keep up the numbers through the end of the year.
Again, assuming all 3 play to the same rate as they have to this point, and ignore the “storyline” (pedigree, team performance, etc), I am not sure DLC can possibly be argued for over either Carrol or Bailey. And same with Bailey challenging Carrol. Catcher is a MUCH more vital position than left field, but Carrol is an all-star level masher with the bat. Bailey is providing great offense, but more as an accessory type bat than a main weapon type bat.

imho…

Carrol
Bailey
DLC

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an article that was last updated today, so I assume these numbers are accurate as of today…

IMG_2146.jpeg

Bailey isn’t even in the running.

Pedigree is a thing, folks…

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on Doval. He's in. Best closer in the game.
Tyler: doubtful. Set up guys don't get love
Tyro: Maybe. He deserves it but isn't a household name.
JDD: probably not, but maybe.
LWJ: He'll get screwed, but he deserves to go.
Spyder: I think he's got a shot. Recognizable name, but he'll need to step it up the next couple outings.
PB: Not a chance, but he is the best catcher in the league since his call up. Best defensive and probably best hitter too.
Not too different from my post, we both agree only Doval is a lock. Just one all star then?