• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bucks are looking to dump Snell's and Ilyasova's contracts at draft night.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh?

I feel like you are arguing for the sake of arguing and didn't understand what I was saying. I was explicitly saying that the Cavs would likely want more than the 30th pick for Smith if they are going to have to take on salary for 2020-2021.

OTOH, Smith's value is determined solely by how many teams want his contract.

Looks like the Lakers might be interested in taking that contract.
Not sure what they could offer, though, with all their picks going to NO.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really boils down to what teams need the cap space now.

The Lakers have made it clear that they want more cap space. But they don't have anything to trade. The Bucks maybe would be interested but I doubt it since they have a bunch of players they are going to want to resign and they aren't going to be keen on giving up picks just to get closer to the tax.

The Rockets maybe? Pistons?

Hornets, Heat, T-Wolves, OKC

Rockets but what assets do they really have other than future picks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what they could offer, though, with all their picks going to NO.

Yeah. I'm curious as well. Seems like the only way they are going to get that cap space is if they can find someone to take Jones, Bogna, and Wagner as a flier.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hornets, Heat, T-Wolves, OKC

Rockets but what assets do they really have other than future picks.

Not sure how the T-Wolves could make a trade that the Cavs would want unless they give up the #11 which seems like a really bad idea for them. Why would the Hornets want to make a trade? Their primary objectives are A)resigning Kemba B)not paying the luxury tax.

Why would the Heat make a trade. They would still be over the cap even if they get Smith. So unless it was some mega blockbuster multi team type trade, I don't see what they would offer. Same is true for the Thunder.

I guess it is possible that they would make a trade to get under the tax. But hard to see either of those teams giving up a lot of assets to do that.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lakers have made it clear that they want more cap space. But they don't have anything to trade. The Bucks maybe would be interested but I doubt it since they have a bunch of players they are going to want to resign and they aren't going to be keen on giving up picks just to get closer to the tax.

It's not a team that wants to dump salary that would buy JR Smith's contract, it's a team that has agreed to buy an expensive player out of them that would...

Say Orlando wants to buy CP3's contract as an example.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how the T-Wolves could make a trade that the Cavs would want unless they give up the #11 which seems like a really bad idea for them. Why would the Hornets want to make a trade? Their primary objectives are A)resigning Kemba B)not paying the luxury tax.

Why would the Heat make a trade. They would still be over the cap even if they get Smith. So unless it was some mega blockbuster multi team type trade, I don't see what they would offer. Same is true for the Thunder.

I guess it is possible that they would make a trade to get under the tax. But hard to see either of those teams giving up a lot of assets to do that.

All those teams are looking to get rid of bad contracts to either save money from going into the luxury tax even more (OKC, Miami) or so they can make moves in FA.

The Hornets would love to get rid of a contract or two so they could add another AS type of player possibly alongside Kemba, if they clear off of Marvin Williams or Biyombo they $20M or so to play with in FA.

The Heat want to do the same thing especially if they trade Whiteside, they are in the luxury now so at least to get out of the luxury they would make a move like this.

Why do the Heat or OKC need a mid teen pick? They are looking to contend and get out of the luxury tax while doing it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those teams are looking to get rid of bad contracts to either save money from going into the luxury tax even more (OKC, Miami) or so they can make moves in FA.

The Hornets would love to get rid of a contract or two so they could add another AS type of player possibly alongside Kemba, if they clear off of Marvin Williams or Biyombo they $20M or so to play with in FA.

The Heat want to do the same thing especially if they trade Whiteside, they are in the luxury now so at least to get out of the luxury they would make a move like this.

Why do the Heat or OKC need a mid teen pick? They are looking to contend and get out of the luxury tax while doing it.

You think the Heat are going to trade a lottery pick to avoid paying the luxury tax? That makes no sense. The Heat are out from their cap hell next year. They are fully aware that they are not winning the title this year no matter what so trading away assets to reduce their salary this year doesn't do much.

The Thunder theoretically might want to reduce their salary as they are going to be paying a repeater tax and they will be over the cap next year as well. It's possible they might be willing to give up their #21 pick but I would imagine it would have to be more than just to save 15 million.

Teams that view their draft picks as irrelevant because they are trying to contend are teams that are doomed to mediocrity.

What say you @bksballer89? Would you give up the #13 pick if it mean you could save 15 million?

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not a team that wants to dump salary that would buy Smith's contract, it's a team that would buy a big contract out of them that would attach JR Smiith as salary filler...

Take this as example: Say Orlando wants to buy CP3 out of Houston...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a team that wants to dump salary that would buy Smith's contract, it's a team that would buy a big contract out of them that would attach JR Smiith as salary filler...

Take this as example: Say Orlando wants to buy CP3 out of Houston...

They don't need Smith's contract to do that. Whatever assets they would send to the Cavs would work just as well and the Rockets would take whatever they could get in order to get out from under the Paul contract.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't need Smith's contract to do that. Whatever assets they would send to the Cavs would work just as well and the Rockets would take whatever they could get in order to get out from under the Paul contract.

You still not fully understand it... they would give CP3, but wouldn't save any significant salary if JR Smith's contract isn't included in what they get in return.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still not fully understand it... they would give CP3, but wouldn't save any significant salary if JR Smith's contract isn't included in what they get in return.

Yeah I get it completely.

Chris Paul is set to make 38 million next year. JR Smith represents less than half that money.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I get it completely.

Chris Paul is set to make 38 million next year. JR Smith represents less than half that money.
Actually it's more to it... if the trade is within CBA's 125% rule, Smith will count for16M in the trade, but Houston (in the above example) would wave him and only pay 3.8M... thus saving 12M of cap space out of nowhere.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it's more to it... if the trade is within CBA's 125% rule, Smith will count for16M in the trade, but Houston (in the above example) would wave him and only pay 3.8M... thus saving 12M of cap space out of nowhere.

Sure. Which is fine.

But why would the Magic give up assets to the Cavs in order to get Smith just to help the Rockets save an additional 12 million for next season? If the Rockets are trying to get rid of Paul, which they should, and the Magic are trying to get Paul, which they shouldn't, then the Magic could simply give the Rockets Mozgov, Fultz and Augustin.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Which is fine.

But why would the Magic give up assets to the Cavs in order to get Smith just to help the Rockets save an additional 12 million for next season? If the Rockets are trying to get rid of Paul, which they should, and the Magic are trying to get Paul, which they shouldn't, then the Magic could simply give the Rockets Mozgov, Fultz and Augustin.
Because then houston wouldn't do the trade.... saving salary and going under the lux tax is their priority.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because then houston wouldn't do the trade.... saving salary and going under the lux tax is their priority.

That is ridiculous.

Either they want to trade Paul or they don't.

If they do want to trade him they are going to do whatever it takes to get rid of his ridiculous contract.

Fultz, Augustin, and Mozgov represent 3 effectively expiring contracts. While I'm sure they would like to get a contract that expired this season, that's a nice to have.

If they made that trade, it would be a huge win for the Rockets. I doubt the Magic would do that trade though because Paul's contract is a 3 year albatross and he would be a bitter little point guard in Disneyworld.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Houston is looking to dump Paul's entire salary, not $12M worth. They want to clear cap space to go after Butler.