• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking Ahead

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2020 season is pretty much done for the Patriots, it time to start looking to the future.

I saw an official stat last night and was taken a back a bit. The Patriots will not have the estimated $132M that's been thrown around since October. With the NFL/NFLPA agreement to allow the cap to stay at $198.6M, the Patriots will have $68.6M The $132M would have been at the estimated cap of $130M. None the less, the Patriots will still more money than 29 teams. 13 teams will be over the cap and will have to cut veterans. Those teams spent money on contracts anticipating no less that a 10% increase in the cap every year.

That includes the KC Chiefs and Mahomes $500M back loaded contract. For example his base salary is $2.5M with a roster bonus of $21M and a cap hit of $24.8M. If the Chiefs traded him or whatever, his dead cap hit in 2021 is $59M. Every team has to be extremely careful because not adjusting the cap down could freeze the cap where it is until 2025. Which brings us back to the Patriots in 2021 and beyond.

We've looked at the guys who will be free agents and there are some we'd like to see resigned and others that no one cares about. The good thing is that the Patriots will have cash and most teams won't. That also means that the Patriots might be able to get better players than the ones that could be leaving at a reduced cost. I think the best example might be Joe Thuney. Under normal circumstances he could test the free agent market and would get at worst, a 20% salary increase that would take his annual average to about $17M per. With a cap freeze and very little free cash out there, Bill might be able to get him back at around $11-$12M per. Interestingly, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not planning to go back with the Dolphins and his agent has set his sights on Foxboro because he could be the perfect bridge QB for a new QB if BB does draft someone.

There are players who will get offers from other teams. Guys like James White who will, without question be a target for the Bucs. Brady doesn't have a a RB who can bail him out in critical times and White could be looking at a possible huge salary increase if the Bucs peel away anyone they consider dead weight or unwanted by Brady and friends.

Right now, the future, at least 2021 looks very bright for a Patriots team that's trying to remodel and renovate. The draft will be exciting, but free agency might be chaotic.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed NE is in a good place.

Not sure White is going to get top dollar offers. Even last season his performance and touches dropped. He literally disappeared in some games.

His saving grace could be that TB demands White get a roster spot?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2020 season is pretty much done for the Patriots, it time to start looking to the future.

I saw an official stat last night and was taken a back a bit. The Patriots will not have the estimated $132M that's been thrown around since October. With the NFL/NFLPA agreement to allow the cap to stay at $198.6M, the Patriots will have $68.6M The $132M would have been at the estimated cap of $130M. None the less, the Patriots will still more money than 29 teams. 13 teams will be over the cap and will have to cut veterans. Those teams spent money on contracts anticipating no less that a 10% increase in the cap every year.

That includes the KC Chiefs and Mahomes $500M back loaded contract. For example his base salary is $2.5M with a roster bonus of $21M and a cap hit of $24.8M. If the Chiefs traded him or whatever, his dead cap hit in 2021 is $59M. Every team has to be extremely careful because not adjusting the cap down could freeze the cap where it is until 2025. Which brings us back to the Patriots in 2021 and beyond.

We've looked at the guys who will be free agents and there are some we'd like to see resigned and others that no one cares about. The good thing is that the Patriots will have cash and most teams won't. That also means that the Patriots might be able to get better players than the ones that could be leaving at a reduced cost. I think the best example might be Joe Thuney. Under normal circumstances he could test the free agent market and would get at worst, a 20% salary increase that would take his annual average to about $17M per. With a cap freeze and very little free cash out there, Bill might be able to get him back at around $11-$12M per. Interestingly, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not planning to go back with the Dolphins and his agent has set his sights on Foxboro because he could be the perfect bridge QB for a new QB if BB does draft someone.

There are players who will get offers from other teams. Guys like James White who will, without question be a target for the Bucs. Brady doesn't have a a RB who can bail him out in critical times and White could be looking at a possible huge salary increase if the Bucs peel away anyone they consider dead weight or unwanted by Brady and friends.

Right now, the future, at least 2021 looks very bright for a Patriots team that's trying to remodel and renovate. The draft will be exciting, but free agency might be chaotic.
I say grab WRs in the FA Frenzy, don't ever draft another WR as long as BB is coach..

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His saving grace could be that TB demands White get a roster spot?
In a press conference a couple of weeks a go Brady didn't say his name but alluded to White when he said, "If "we" had a Flex Back that was more pass oriented, our offense would be unstoppable."

He's only going to be 27 and I'm sure that TB will demand that they go after him.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say grab WRs in the FA Frenzy, don't ever draft another WR as long as BB is coach..
Here's the list of FA Wide Receivers that will be available. I tried to sort them from Youngest to oldestbut not sure it stayed.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the list of FA Wide Receivers that will be available. I tried to sort them from Youngest to oldestbut not sure it stayed.

Some decent names out there. I wonder if there is a way to separate them by receivers that can get separation? It seems our crew has separation anxiety

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening and watching Early Edition last and John Thomase, a columnist from the Boston Globe shocked me. He's been a Baseball guy since Will McDonough died and because of the pandemic, has really gotten educated and involved in football and basketball. Last night he silenced the entire studio when he basically said ......Bill Belichick got extremely lucky 21 years go when he draft a kid out of Michigan who was at the bottom of the QB pile. By an even greater stroke of luck, BB's All-Pro QB Drew Bledsoe got hurt and Tom Brady was given a chance to play. No one, not one single person, including Belichick knew that Tom Brady had what he had hidden in his head or arm. Together they formed the greatest HC/QB duo in history and BB has had the luxury of not having had to look for a QB for twenty years. Last year changed all that .

Thomase continued. 2020 was a 'bridge year' with Cam Newton, who has proved that he was not a bridge, He isn't even a plank across a mud puddle. Now we keep hearing names of veteran QBs like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Marcus Mariotta and Mitch Trubisky. He said "STOP". Bill Belichick had to get off his ass and prove that he can still run this team or walk away. No more crap. Belichick has to make some moves and draft a quarterback that he can give the ball and make him number one at the OTAs, mini camp and training camp. No more BS excuses or reason why this guy or that guy needs more time. Time is running out and this team doesn't need a bridge, it needs a road that it can follow.

He was great. He said that the media and fans are too willing to give BB a long leash to do whatever he want. Then he said that both Robert and Johnathan Kraft have to get off their asses and tell Belichick that they don't give a shit what he does as long as he gets a starting QB nd some WR that can run a route and catch the football. They don't have to run the team or coach it, but some direction is certainly needed.

Sometimes the truth is refreshing and hopefully the Krafts were watching or someone close was and tells them what Thomase said. He's right. There is no reason for BB to sit back and wait to see if Fields or Wilson oe anyone else falls to 11, 12, 13 or 14. Put a package together and go after the best available QB the Josh thinks he can work with and have start the 2021 season. The vaccines have been approved and have been shipped. The patriots have the picks and the money. Draft the QB and go get Godwin, Robinson and Fuller. Don't screw aroung because you have an erection for an Alabama Linebacker.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talking heads who have never coached or played.

They are paid because they turn silence into noise.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening and watching Early Edition last and John Thomase, a columnist from the Boston Globe shocked me. He's been a Baseball guy since Will McDonough died and because of the pandemic, has really gotten educated and involved in football and basketball. Last night he silenced the entire studio when he basically said ......Bill Belichick got extremely lucky 21 years go when he draft a kid out of Michigan who was at the bottom of the QB pile. By an even greater stroke of luck, BB's All-Pro QB Drew Bledsoe got hurt and Tom Brady was given a chance to play. No one, not one single person, including Belichick knew that Tom Brady had what he had hidden in his head or arm. Together they formed the greatest HC/QB duo in history and BB has had the luxury of not having had to look for a QB for twenty years. Last year changed all that .
By Tomase, do you mean the guy who helped the Pats lose the 2007 Super Bowl by casing a major distraction by releasing an irresponsible article?

I actually don't hold a resentment toward that but bring it up when he says something misinformed.

1) It's been well established BB wanted Bledsoe out because he couldn't trust him to execute the plays...The injury was absolutely not a stroke of luck and instead just an early opportunity.
2) While of course the Pats did not know Brady would be transcendent, they knew he was a great value despite the fact that QB was one position of which the team had little need. If any team had a time machine, is there any that wouldn't go back in time and trade 10 first rounders, if that's what was needed (of course it wasn't) to get Brady then?

BK - Why do you repeat these articles without disclosing the same facts I present because I know you are aware of these. You like to be our resident "journalist", and many here including me give you credit for your efforts... but then you behave like the media journalists who tire us out.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BK - Why do you repeat these articles without disclosing the same facts I present because I know you are aware of these. You like to be our resident "journalist", and many here including me give you credit for your efforts... but then you behave like the media journalists who tire us out.

Because I don't know what ""You"" want me to write.

All I wrote about was what took place on one program. I wasn't writing a masters dissertation on the history of the Patriots or Journalists that have covered them. This was NOT a REPEAT of an article written. It was a synopsis of an hour long television show.

You've been on my ass for over a month. Put me on "ignore". That way you won't need Milk of Magnesia every time I write something.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I don't know what ""You"" want me to write.

All I wrote about was what took place on one program. I wasn't writing a masters dissertation on the history of the Patriots or Journalists that have covered them. This was NOT a REPEAT of an article written. It was a synopsis of an hour long television show.

You've been on my ass for over a month. Put me on "ignore". That way you won't need Milk of Magnesia every time I write something.
You wrote he shocked you. I don't believe you because we've discussed these issues before.

I'm not on your ass. I respond to one post and one thought at a time and have know interest in holding a grudge or targeting anyone.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumors are true, BB could be going forward without his OC (Josh McDaniel) and Personnel Director (Nick Caserio).

Sure hope that he has someone in mind to do all of the grunt work looking at the limited college talent that will be available with half of the Div.I schools not playing or not playing a full schedule.

Are we ready for another 2020? If he doesn't have confidence in Stidham and Hoyer, he cannot resign Cam Newton and go through another season of what has happened in 2020. Many of the young players and rookies have taken big steps forward, but there will be losses again to free agency. Hopefully Hightower will return and lend his experience and expertise to the youngsters.

Just thinking out loud when I heard that the Panthers have already called about Caserio,

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumors are true, BB could be going forward without his OC (Josh McDaniel) and Personnel Director (Nick Caserio).

Sure hope that he has someone in mind to do all of the grunt work looking at the limited college talent that will be available with half of the Div.I schools not playing or not playing a full schedule.

Are we ready for another 2020? If he doesn't have confidence in Stidham and Hoyer, he cannot resign Cam Newton and go through another season of what has happened in 2020. Many of the young players and rookies have taken big steps forward, but there will be losses again to free agency. Hopefully Hightower will return and lend his experience and expertise to the youngsters.

Just thinking out loud when I heard that the Panthers have already called about Caserio,
Hoyer is three on the depth chart he and Cam are done. I have said all along look for the Pats to sign a Vet and draft another QB third round or later.

Caserio will be a huge loss IMO.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Jeff Howe, BB has not completely given up on Cam. Because of his poor performance, BB doesn't think that teams will line up to drive up his price. As it stands right now, Cam will make about $4M for 2020. The Pats might be able to sign him for less with incentives. I'm sure that will help sell tickets.

BB said that he will give all of the youngsters on the roster adequate playing time in the final two games. He wants to be able to evaluate them fairly in game situations. Most if not all of the practice squad will get playing time against the Bills and/or the Jets. When asked if Jarrett Stidham will get playing time, BB's answer was, "We'll see."

I watched the Patriots win against the Cardinals and then I watched the the 2018 Patriots season review. I did it to see the differences in the team and if there was any significant difference in the plays.

Quarterback: The significant difference between TB and CN is that Brady could make an extremely fast mental adjustment and release the ball in under two seconds. When he couldn't get the pass of, he'd throw it away. Cam needs about two minutes to figure out what the hell day it is. Seriously, he has a real problem with the mental aspect of decision making and being able to do it.

Running Back: No significant difference.

Wide Receivers: No real difference in the patterns, but the level of play and the route running are much different. Brady demanded that the WR be where they were supposed to be but today, it's as if it doesn't matter because CN can't get the ball there anyway.

Tight End: the difference is beyond description.

O-Line: I think today's is playing much better than two years ago. Especially the right side without Cannon.

Just the BK point of view because I don't have anything else to do and can spend four hours scouting film.