• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos for Sale at End of Season?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't the NFL have a rule about not being able to own franchises in other leagues in the US? Isn't that why Kroenke had to "give" control of the Avs and Nugs to his kids?
Depends on how much money he/she has.

How would Broncos fans feel about an ownership group that had LeBron and William Buffet in it??

Reactions: LGM

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How would Broncos fans feel about an ownership group that had LeBron and William Buffet in it??
Since I hate the Lakers…not fond of that possibility. :)

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine ANY new owner would MOVE the Broncos. If new owner starts completely with all new people in place that would concern me to start off.
It would be nice if someone from Lansing Michigan bought them and moved them to Lansing. Maybe then Detroit would want a Pro team too.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL - caught me. I find I'm the only one who saw this and wondered what distinction you were going for.

It sounds peculiar to me to define one's self by which way rich people fall on the political spectrum. With only slight deviation rich people have a strongly common interest that overcomes any moral squabble.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds peculiar to me to define one's self by which way rich people fall on the political spectrum. With only slight deviation rich people have a strongly common interest that overcomes any moral squabble.
BINGO!!!$$$$!!!!

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would assume the NFL already has a small list of potential buyers lined up and working on vetting. Only a few have the means and meet the NFL criteria. Last time a group with PFM as a small investor lost out in the Carolina sale.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaVonte Williams looked like a diamond in an odiferous pile of crap.

The Chiefs took advantage of the 2 week break preparing for the game and it looked it. Strangely - that is a sign of respect.

Teddy Bridgewater proved he didn't understand the concept of making a tackle - and thinks now it involves throwing his body aimlessly in the general direction of the ball carrier - the idea of using his hands to help hasn't occurred to him yet.

I don't understand why the Broncos don't take 5-7 yards every time they throw it to Jeudy - and hope he breaks it open to a long gain. That pass is always there. Bridgewater used it that way in the early season.

I've seen worse, but this was disappointing.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaVonte Williams looked like a diamond in an odiferous pile of crap.

The Chiefs took advantage of the 2 week break preparing for the game and it looked it. Strangely - that is a sign of respect.

Teddy Bridgewater proved he didn't understand the concept of making a tackle - and thinks now it involves throwing his body aimlessly in the general direction of the ball carrier - the idea of using his hands to help hasn't occurred to him yet.

I don't understand why the Broncos don't take 5-7 yards every time they throw it to Jeudy - and hope he breaks it open to a long gain. That pass is always there. Bridgewater used it that way in the early season.

I've seen worse, but this was disappointing.
Dude. It’s LaVonte Wilson.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From PFT:
As the Broncos move toward a possible sale of the team in 2022, a twist has emerged.

Via Andrew Beaton of the Wall Street Journal, a Canadian holding company claims that it owns a right of first refusal as to any purchase of the club.

That claim has sparked a lawsuit from the Broncos, filed in an effort to get a ruling from the courts as to the rights of the parties. It’s Pat Bowlen’s estate on one side, and Edgar Kaiser’s estate on the other. Kaiser’s estate is joined by Scott Schirmer, an Arizona businessman who along with Kaiser’s estate owns ROFR Holdings, Ltd. Given the initials selected by the company, it appears that it was created solely for the purposes of exercising the supposed right to match any offer made to and accepted by Bowlen’s estate for the team.

Kaiser held a right of first refusal as part of the sale of the franchise to Bowlen in 1984. Kaiser and Bowlen previously squabbled over an offer from Bowlen to sell 10 percent of the team to John Elway, with an option to double his position. Kaiser claimed that his right of first refusal would have applied to any such transaction. Bowlen eventually won the fight in court.

To finance the litigation, Kaiser borrowed money from Schirmer, who now owns a piece of the holding company that allegedly holds the right of first refusal.

Although Beaton writes that a resolution of the action is expected shortly after the commencement of 2022, appeal rights would tie the case up deep into the new year. The more important question becomes whether the situation will chill efforts to purchase the team.

On the surface, it could be argued that it will be harder to solicit offers if prospective buyers know that, ultimately, they may be negotiating a deal that someone else will swoop in and match. At a deeper level, it could help drive the price to a point that will make it harder for anyone to match the eventual price.

Then there’s the question of league approval. The traditional sales process entails securing sufficient “yes” votes from the other members of Club Oligarch. If they approve a new Broncos owner and then the right of first refusal is exercised, what happens?

It’s also possible that Kaiser’s estate and Schirmer want to flip the asset for a profit, finding someone who would offer more money when the club is essentially auctioned without the encumbrance of a potential right of first refusal.

The fact that this question even exists so many years after Bowlen purchased the team serves as a reminder to the NFL that its inclination to micromanage these transactions should extend to any and all back-end deals that could blow up future efforts to sell all or part of a franchise. Regardless of how the situation plays out, it’s a complication that potentially keeps the NFL from getting what it wants — an ownership situation in Denver that consists of one person, appropriately approved by the membership, who is in full and complete control of the franchise.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From PFT:
As the Broncos move toward a possible sale of the team in 2022, a twist has emerged.

Via Andrew Beaton of the Wall Street Journal, a Canadian holding company claims that it owns a right of first refusal as to any purchase of the club.

That claim has sparked a lawsuit from the Broncos, filed in an effort to get a ruling from the courts as to the rights of the parties. It’s Pat Bowlen’s estate on one side, and Edgar Kaiser’s estate on the other. Kaiser’s estate is joined by Scott Schirmer, an Arizona businessman who along with Kaiser’s estate owns ROFR Holdings, Ltd. Given the initials selected by the company, it appears that it was created solely for the purposes of exercising the supposed right to match any offer made to and accepted by Bowlen’s estate for the team.

Kaiser held a right of first refusal as part of the sale of the franchise to Bowlen in 1984. Kaiser and Bowlen previously squabbled over an offer from Bowlen to sell 10 percent of the team to John Elway, with an option to double his position. Kaiser claimed that his right of first refusal would have applied to any such transaction. Bowlen eventually won the fight in court.

To finance the litigation, Kaiser borrowed money from Schirmer, who now owns a piece of the holding company that allegedly holds the right of first refusal.

Although Beaton writes that a resolution of the action is expected shortly after the commencement of 2022, appeal rights would tie the case up deep into the new year. The more important question becomes whether the situation will chill efforts to purchase the team.

On the surface, it could be argued that it will be harder to solicit offers if prospective buyers know that, ultimately, they may be negotiating a deal that someone else will swoop in and match. At a deeper level, it could help drive the price to a point that will make it harder for anyone to match the eventual price.

Then there’s the question of league approval. The traditional sales process entails securing sufficient “yes” votes from the other members of Club Oligarch. If they approve a new Broncos owner and then the right of first refusal is exercised, what happens?

It’s also possible that Kaiser’s estate and Schirmer want to flip the asset for a profit, finding someone who would offer more money when the club is essentially auctioned without the encumbrance of a potential right of first refusal.

The fact that this question even exists so many years after Bowlen purchased the team serves as a reminder to the NFL that its inclination to micromanage these transactions should extend to any and all back-end deals that could blow up future efforts to sell all or part of a franchise. Regardless of how the situation plays out, it’s a complication that potentially keeps the NFL from getting what it wants — an ownership situation in Denver that consists of one person, appropriately approved by the membership, who is in full and complete control of the franchise.
I have not read up on this situation, so this question might sound simplistic and naive : as unlikely as it seems, if all of Pat Bowlen's children agreed on one sibling becoming owner, would that negate any sale and turn ownership over to that child ??

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not read up on this situation, so this question might sound simplistic and naive : as unlikely as it seems, if all of Pat Bowlen's children agreed on one sibling becoming owner, would that negate any sale and turn ownership over to that child ??
I would think selling to someone who already had an ownership stake isn't really a sale that would trigger any right of first refusal. But the fact that he's been shot down in court already leads me to think the process may run out another season or so, but we'll likely have a new owner by the end of next year.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my understanding, the 7 children have to all agree on one of them becoming the controlling owner. And that apparently isn’t happening. And not any one of them has the financial capacity to buy out the rest.

so this little piggy looks like it is on its way to the market.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Ownership is put off for another year or so -doesn't that decrease the likelihood of changing the coaching staff? Who would want to come into coach if a year later the new owner wants a new situation?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Ownership is put off for another year or so -doesn't that decrease the likelihood of changing the coaching staff? Who would want to come into coach if a year later the new owner wants a new situation?
If I’m George (and yes, I am) and the GM (oh no I’m not), I would be making the decision for what’s best for the team regardless of the ownership issue. Now there is another familiar name that is President that may have some say and of course the Three Stooges in power will also have some input due to financial considerations.

I don’t think maybe the top candidates would take the HC job with the Broncos over say, the Raiders. But often the top candidates don‘t always become the top coaches.