• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bob stoops calls out SEC defenses

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
up until lately, an SEC offense was like throwing passes out of the wishbone.
one guy runs a route as fast as he can, the QB throws it as far as he could, and hopes for the best.
no sophistication at all.

run, run, run, pass.
IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO STOP

Better than Musschumps offensive with Brent "The Trickster" Pease..

We only have big plays that lose yards... turnovers.. and the dive play that goes for -1 to +1 at least 2 out of the 3 plays before we punt.

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to wait and see where the stats stand at the end of the season, I'm thinking well see a return closer to the norm. Bama looks a lot better after shutting out Ole Miss. LSU's stats were pretty impressive, only giving up like 4.6 yards a play, before playing Georgia. So I think they'll be fine. Georgia has played three top ten teams, regardless of where you think those teams should actually be ranked, with a very young defense..

Florida's defense looks about as good as ever, A&M's defense is terrible, and then you get to the rest of the league where teams are either down or improving.

Spread offenses with experienced quarterbacks against inexperienced defenses have ruled so far.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to wait and see where the stats stand at the end of the season, I'm thinking well see a return closer to the norm. Bama looks a lot better after shutting out Ole Miss. LSU's stats were pretty impressive, only giving up like 4.6 yards a play, before playing Georgia. So I think they'll be fine. Georgia has played three top ten teams, regardless of where you think those teams should actually be ranked, with a very young defense..

Florida's defense looks about as good as ever, A&M's defense is terrible, and then you get to the rest of the league where teams are either down or improving.

Spread offenses with experienced quarterbacks against inexperienced defenses have ruled so far.
-
According to Ole Miss fans Bama only shut them down, because they illegally used an Ex-Ole Miss coach.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-
There is truth to what Stoops said. It is hard for a college defense to shut down NFL Qbs. Will occasionally happen, but there is a reason they are NFL Qbs. Big 12 has an amazing run in 2012 in that regard. It is not the case this yr. I hate those type of statements, I would put "Bama has problem with the spread" comments in there. The truth of the matter is Bama has problems with Heisman QBs running the spread. 9 out of 10 times defenses will have issues with great offensive players. Hate when people try to draw conclusions using the exceptions and applying them to the norm .

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
There is truth to what Stoops said. It is hard for a college defense to shut down NFL Qbs. Will occasionally happen, but there is a reason they are NFL Qbs. Big 12 has an amazing run in 2012 in that regard. It is not the case this yr. I hate those type of statements, I would put "Bama has problem with the spread" comments in there. The truth of the matter is Bama has problems with Heisman QBs running the spread. 9 out of 10 times defenses will have issues with great offensive players. Hate when people try to draw conclusions using the exceptions and applying them to the norm .

I agree with him to an extent. The level of quarterback play has been exceptional the past few years in the SEC and should continue through the year. That still didn't stop several SEC defenses from being among the country's best last year though. Through five weeks, it's been nothing but offense, so there's not really much to argue against him with.

Now that I think about it, UGA, Bama, LSU, possibly Ole Miss, and likely A&M will be breaking in new quarterbacks next year while all these defenses will have grown up, the low-scoring should return a bit. I think as a conference we're past the low-scoring, super defensive games on a regular basis. Offenses have made the adjustments the rest of the country have.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with him to an extent. The level of quarterback play has been exceptional the past few years in the SEC and should continue through the year. That still didn't stop several SEC defenses from being among the country's best last year though. Through five weeks, it's been nothing but offense, so there's not really much to argue against him with.

Now that I think about it, UGA, Bama, LSU, possibly Ole Miss, and likely A&M will be breaking in new quarterbacks next year while all these defenses will have grown up, the low-scoring should return a bit. I think as a conference we're past the low-scoring, super defensive games on a regular basis. Offenses have made the adjustments the rest of the country have.
-
I really dont remember a great QB class for the SEC recently. I was referring to 2 yrs ago in the Big 12 when 3 QBs went in the first round and 5 of 10 QBs that started in the league were drafted. I believe that is Stoops' argument, but that was clearly an exception.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
According to Ole Miss fans Bama only shut them down, because they illegally used an Ex-Ole Miss coach.

Yup, they're all over that one. It was even discussed this pre-season that Ole Miss was aware of the situation and were changing their play calling signals en sech accordingly. I don't think I've ever seen an Ole Miss fan so I'm not sure if any were aware of that or not. I will admit, in some weird way, it was a little un-nerving having McElwain on the other sideline when Bama played Colorado St. :noidea:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 pages of excuses.

How about this. Beat an SEC team, then talk shit.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you missed post #85 then.

Sure did, I left it was on page 4, I come back and it's 13.

Aint-Nobody-Got-Time-for-That.gif

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were all good ... but I would put RPI and MIT in front of both Florida and Northwestern based on my experience. And most people have no clue who RPI is... unless you work for NASA or somewhere like that.

Rensallaer Polytechnic? I know I misspelled it...

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its just pretty bad qb play over the years for majority of the sec. yeah you have aaron murray, manziel, matthew Stafford few years ago. im sure there are others im leaving out...but for the most part when I see 2 sec teams play..its load up for the run...7, 8 sometimes 9 guys in the box...and most sec qbs aren't going to be able to beat you consistently....atleast that's what its been for past few years. tell me the last qb that was above mediocre at miss st, or Kentucky, ole miss, Arkansas. hell outside of tebows run at florida not sure they have been very solid at qb either...

for years all we hear about pac 12 & big 12 from sec fans is no defenses, they don't play anybody, etc...now with several high scoring games in the sec its kinda the shoes on the other foot...insert foot in mouth...whatever. maybe its just a quick phase. sec teams over the years have recruited defensively over offense... there just hasn't been any real great offensive players....a few...but not a truly stacked class. so I don't think the defenses are any worse really. just offenses are a little better than in years past.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its just pretty bad qb play over the years for majority of the sec. yeah you have aaron murray, manziel, matthew Stafford few years ago. im sure there are others im leaving out...but for the most part when I see 2 sec teams play..its load up for the run...7, 8 sometimes 9 guys in the box...and most sec qbs aren't going to be able to beat you consistently....atleast that's what its been for past few years. tell me the last qb that was above mediocre at miss st, or Kentucky, ole miss, Arkansas. hell outside of tebows run at florida not sure they have been very solid at qb either...

for years all we hear about pac 12 & big 12 from sec fans is no defenses, they don't play anybody, etc...now with several high scoring games in the sec its kinda the shoes on the other foot...insert foot in mouth...whatever. maybe its just a quick phase. sec teams over the years have recruited defensively over offense... there just hasn't been any real great offensive players....a few...but not a truly stacked class. so I don't think the defenses are any worse really. just offenses are a little better than in years past.

Done predicting Colorado to upset Oregon already?

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Done predicting Colorado to upset Oregon already?

lmao I never predicted...just said if certain breaks go their way they might have a shot. who would have predicted that south Carolina would barely squeak out a win vs UCF?

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
up until lately, an SEC offense was like throwing passes out of the wishbone.
one guy runs a route as fast as he can, the QB throws it as far as he could, and hopes for the best.
no sophistication at all.

run, run, run, pass.
IT ISN'T THAT HARD TO STOP

That Auburn game a couple years ago where I think they played Lsu ended up 9-3 or something. Lol

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And dont whine about where a game is played because you lost, like most OU fans do.

If you read and understood the statement I made, you could not possibly have come up with your comment back to unless you yourself have made that statement in the past. Feeling guilty are we? or is it you know your brotherhood of fans whine and bitch about where the games have been played and lost even though your team was a favorite in several of those games? I think i struck a nerve and rustled some jimmies.

Raise you hand if beat Bama the last couple of times you played them.

Raise_hand.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao I never predicted...just said if certain breaks go their way they might have a shot. who would have predicted that south Carolina would barely squeak out a win vs UCF?

I predicted South Carolina would barely squeak out a win. UCF is a pretty good team this year.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raise you hand if beat Bama the last couple of times you played them.

Raise_hand.gif

Raise you hand if you have beaten them with the current head coach in place, thought so. Easy to beat a team that has less than 85 scholarship players, when yours is fully stocked. Play us on equal terms and lets see how you do.