• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ACC-SEC merger?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Bilas suggested that the ACC propose a merger with the SEC. Hell, at this point, that may not be a bad idea. It's not something that I'm in favor of nor am I a fan of 16-team conferences, but it seems that's where we're headed. It could essentially mirror the NFL format if you went 8 divisions of 4. If the ACC and SEC merged it could look something like this...I chose 4 divisions of 8 (32 teams).

North--Boston College, Kentucky, Louisville, Penn St, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia, West Virginia.
South--Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida St, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami.
East--Duke, NC St, No Carolina, So Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, VA Tech, Wake Forest.
West--Arkansas, LSU, Miss St, Missouri, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M.

I added Penn St and West Virginia.

This is basically NFL Jr....a league of their own. They could have a complete schedule of all conference games, have their own playoff, and not play anybody on the outside. Again, this looks extreme, but it would not surprise me if something like this happens.

I just don't see what the SEC gains by added all those mediocre football teams from the ACC?

Instead of merging, why not just take the ACC's best football programs? Just take Clemson, FSU, UNC, and South Carolina. Adding those teams would give you 20 teams right there in the SEC.

You'd also have a few solid programs interested in the SEC too, if you wanted to go to 24 teams (WVU, Iowa St, Kansas St, Baylor), or you could make a play on the B10 (although I imagine this would be too costly for teams to leave)

therealsportsguru

owner of geatathebookie.com
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Carolina should move to the ACC. I think it would give them a better chance at winning and they have their in state rival now become the run conference rival. Makes that game iron bowl like, because if they are in the same conference that loss could be the deciding factor of conference champ.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Carolina should move to the ACC. I think it would give them a better chance at winning and they have their in state rival now become the run conference rival. Makes that game iron bowl like, because if they are in the same conference that loss could be the deciding factor of conference champ.

The problem with that theory is a financial one. Why leave a high paying conference, for a lesser paying one? On top of that, Clemson will jump ship if they ever were to get an SEC invite. SCar is better off staying right where they are at, and just continue playing Clemson OOC until Clemson can get in to the SEC.

therealsportsguru

owner of geatathebookie.com
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that theory is a financial one. Why leave a high paying conference, for a lesser paying one? On top of that, Clemson will jump ship if they ever were to get an SEC invite. SCar is better off staying right where they are at, and just continue playing Clemson OOC until Clemson can get in to the SEC.
Clemson better not move to the SEC. Tennesess, Arkansas and Vandy will look at them like they are lunch.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson better not move to the SEC. Tennesess, Arkansas and Vandy will look at them like they are lunch.

I think Clemson and FSU will be SEC bound in the next few years. It would probably end up doubling each teams tv money.