• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bill Russell talking out his ass, making sure people know about his titles

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue, NO ONE "intimidated the hell out of Wilt Chamberlain." That's a foolish statement by a green-eyed Celtics fan. If Kareem didn't intimidate Wilt, Russell sure as hell didn't. The guy was a liability on offense and Wilt devastated him on the other end of the floor? See, guys like Logic like to toss around bullshit statements like "defense-first player." Yeah? Then why did Wilt have his way with him his ENTIRE FUCKING CAREER?

One simple question (and be honest Celtics fans and Russell apologists): Everything else being the same, but Wilt is a Celtic and Russell is a 76er/Laker.

Who ends up with more rings?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like my Dad, he sees basketball thru green-colored glasses. They can't help it. :L

My dad's a Celtics fan as well. At least he's not obsessed or I'd probably stay away from him.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let us not get confused here. I did not post that article. I merely point out that Russell had a deep understanding of the game that allowed him to adapt and overcome with his direction of his team and his own play. I believe I mentioned earlier that his physical abilities were not even in the ballpark with Wilt. Who remains one of my all time favorite players and whom I greatly preferred during his playing days with Russell.

So what would you say made him a superior player to say, Hondo or Cousy?

Russell is the only player I know who shoves his "greatness" down your throat. NO ONE, not even assholes like Rodman do that.

Am I Blue Through it All?

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One simple question (and be honest Celtics fans and Russell apologists): Everything else being the same, but Wilt is a Celtic and Russell is a 76er/Laker.

Who ends up with more rings?

That is a bit of a loaded question if Red is coaching the Celtics. I believe it was the bond of knowledge between he and Russell that made them great and kept them that way. Russell ran the show later in his career, but Red definitely mentored him early on.

Hard to say, but I suspect Wilt would have benefited greatly from Reds knowledge of the game. I never felt Wilt had Bills intellect, but if his massive ego had allowed him to be coached I would have to go with Chamberlin.

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what would you say made him a superior player to say, Hondo or Cousy?

Russell is the only player I know who shoves his "greatness" down your throat. NO ONE, not even assholes like Rodman do that.

I was a bit young to remember Cousy or Sharman, but I sure remember Hondo. As to Russells arrogance? Lotta assholes in this world. Beethoven and Napoleon are other examples. Still were great men though.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad's a Celtics fan as well. At least he's not obsessed or I'd probably stay away from him.

Growing up, my Dad and I stopped speaking around mid-May. It was best for everyone in the family.

Asked him a million times what made Russell so "great" and it was always either "the 11 rings" or obscure bullshit about defense or smarts or team player, things that a thousand other players have been. No one can tell you what made Russell great basketball player because, well, he wasn't.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growing up, my Dad and I stopped speaking around mid-May. It was best for everyone in the family.

Asked him a million times what made Russell so "great" and it was always either "the 11 rings" or obscure bullshit about defense or smarts or team player, things that a thousand other players have been. No one can tell you what made Russell great basketball player because, well, he wasn't.

All the HOFers he was surrounded with? :noidea:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Russell would've been schooled by Orlando Woolridge. He is not only not the GOAT, he's vastly overrated and may only be a top 50 player at best. If that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a bit of a loaded question if Red is coaching the Celtics. I believe it was the bond of knowledge between he and Russell that made them great and kept them that way. Russell ran the show later in his career, but Red definitely mentored him early on.

Hard to say, but I suspect Wilt would have benefited greatly from Reds knowledge of the game. I never felt Wilt had Bills intellect, but if his massive ego had allowed him to be coached I would have to go with Chamberlin.

Russell may have had a great basketball i.q., but that wasn't the reason that he won so many rings. The reason was his teammates. Think of Lebron in Cleveland and that was Wilt in Philadelphia.

Herald of the Apocalypse
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell would've been schooled by Orlando Woolridge. He is not only not the GOAT, he's vastly overrated and may only be a top 50 player at best. If that.

Yeah well, the athletes of today are bigger, stronger, have had better nutrition and training than their predecessors had access to. There have been some freaks that could have played in any age. Wilt, Spencer Haywood and the like. I believe Oscar could be nearly as effective today as he was then, but that is just an opinion.

Bottom line, Russell has 11 rings. He is a braggart and his loyalists offend some people. Who gives a shit? That is a record that will never be broken.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Russell couldn't defend Cherokee Parks. There are kids in high school right now that are fundamentally better basketball players than "the first point-center." :L

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell may have had a great basketball i.q., but that wasn't the reason that he won so many rings. The reason was his teammates. Think of Lebron in Cleveland and that was Wilt in Philadelphia.

Absolutely this.

And Celtics fans get real fidgety when you bring it up.

Boston was the Eastern Conference All-Star team for 15 years. There were no other good teams in the East and if you stick Cousy on the Lakers, we wouldn't even know Russell's name.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell couldn't defend Cherokee Parks. There are kids in high school right now that are fundamentally better basketball players than "the first point-center." :L

Don't forget Eric Montross.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy the hate for bill. He dominated your team and Jerry west stated clearly that it could be any 4 players and bill and the lakers would still lose

Yet you all try to convince your selves Jerry West is a liar

Read what the greats say about Bill and stop with the lack of knowledge and emotions s

seanmerc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, your GM is Danny Ainge and not even Kevin Garnett wants to play there. :L

Danny Ainge is, always ways, always will be the world's biggest crybaby flopper.