• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bill Russell is the GOAT

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh?

The majority of people's / media's top 10 consists of 6 Centers (if counting Duncan as a Center) Most have some type of combo of Kareem, Russell and Wilt in the top 5.

If you're considered top 5..... then you're in the argument of GOAT in one way or another.

Top 10?? Sure but not the BEST ever. The 2 most commonly brought up names are Magic and Michael when it comes to BEST ever.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the winner!!! Nique was 31.8 ppg, MJ was 30.6 in their 45 meetings.

They used to have some real battles back in the day. I loved watching Nique go up agains Michael and Larry. He could hold his own.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking it could be Dominique, if it were at a different position. :noidea:

Very good guess! 'Nique was amazing. Another one that surpassed Russell in every measurable way. And probably the only player of that era that surpassed Magic in the bedroom. :D

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good guess! 'Nique was amazing. Another one that surpassed Russell in every measurable way. And probably the only player of that era that surpassed Magic in the bedroom. :D

Lmao

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be willing to put good money on the fact most posters in this thread weren't even born when "Russ"& the "Big Dipper" were still playing.......and if they were, they sure as hell weren't old enough to be following NBA hoops objectively.

Yes because as we all know old people are the most open minded, non biased group of people who welcome change and progress :rollseyes:

head-to-head numbers:
Wilt and Russell played against each other 142 times in 10 years. Russell's team won 88, Wilt's teams won 74. (14 game difference)

In those games Wilt averaged 28.7 ppg and 28.7 rpg, Russell averaged 14.5ppg and 23.7rpg

Wilt's high game vs. Russell was 62, and he had six other 50+ point games against Russell . Russell's high game against Wilt was 37, and he had only two other 30+ point games against Wilt.

Wilt's record 55 rebound game was against Russell, and he had six other 40+ rebound games vs. Bill.
Russell only had one 40+ rebound night against Wilt.

As I said, I wasn't alive to see them play but other than the ring count, I don't see how you can say Russell was better.

In my lifetime is Hakeem and Kareem. Oddly enough, I enjoyed watching 'Dream' play more than any center in my lifetime. He was so graceful and made it look so effortless. He was incredible.

TAKE NOTES HAMMERDOWN!!!! This is a great and valid argument backed with FACTS!!!

Wilt did have better stats than Russell, there is no doubt about that but Russell's stats were pretty good too and I do not think anybody uses just 1 criteria to say who is the GOAT?

Also Wilt cared about his stats and Russell cared about winning, what do you think was better? Russell's ability to win or Wilt's stats?

I think we can all agree that there is a lot more to GOAT ratings than stats. Bill Russell was the entire package and also did a lot more that was not on a stat sheet.

Also everyone has matchup issues, Russell had 1, just 1 in his entire career.

"Like I said, Russell is better than Wilt." - BOTSLAYER

"LOUD NOISES" - Hammerdown

and Hammerdown your argument is that Russell is a 6' 7" SF, well then how is he going to do well against one of the greatest centers of all time? Did MJ have success against centers? Was MJ expected to play against them every time? Did Kareem play against PGs every game?

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So grandpa Jordan got outscored by "Practice? We talkin' bout practice?"

Color me not impressed.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10?? Sure but not the BEST ever. The 2 most commonly brought up names are Magic and Michael when it comes to BEST ever.

Michael yes......Magic in top 2 is subjective, but he's probably recognized in 99% of "top 5" lists

either Kareem, Wilt and Russell are widely recognized as either 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th.

vegasfraud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh you want a top 5...well here it is...not up for debate.

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Magic
4. Wilt
5. Russell
6. Bird
7. LeBron (get mad)
8. Kobe
9. Duncan
10. idk

I did 9 for ya.