• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big XII

mutiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOUISVILLE is not a great add.
The ACC should have waited.
I think they were so pissed that Maryland blindsided them they reacted poorly to try and show up Maryland.

LOUISVILLE adds no recruiting or television market.
It is an oddball academically as well for the a prestige academic ACC.
It has a mediocre brand name and a smallish fanbase nationally.
It is essentially a lesser version of basketball powers (Duke, UNC) that already existed in the ACC.

And whatever junk about Syracuse needing a partner is silly because Boston College is far closer with much deeper ties historically as a long term Cuse rival.

The ACC did a great thing with Pitt, Syracuse, and Notre Dame.
Louisville will end up being something of a minor mistake....not a colossal blunder...but meh overall...
UL would have been there as noboby was trying for them.
The ACC could have took their time and saw how Notre Dame was going to play it long term.

Louisville would have been a MUCH better add than West Virginia. Not sure what the Big could have added. BYU, South Florida are all too far away. Big 12 shouldn't have allowed Texas to take over the conference and push away 4 teams.

I think the best adds at this point would be Tulane and Memphis. Louisville is gone now

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU or Louisville essentially would have been about the same target.
WVU was probably the better of the two options in 2011.

The Big 12 was in danger of collapsing so they were almost forced to take TCU and WVU.
There was imminent collapse, otherwise TCU never would have been invited.

Louisville has had some recent success. But in 2011, WVU was the overall a better football program.
WVU had a more national footprint and brand name at the time.

You cannot simply factor in the records of 2012 and 2013 for a decision made in 2011.
And its arguable the relative records are probably due to the AAC and Big 12 being different.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Big 12 was in danger of collapsing so they were almost forced to take TCU and WVU.

Louisville has had some recent success. But in 2011, WVU was the overall a better football program.

You cannot simply factor in the records of 2012 and 2013 for a decision made in 2011.
And its arguable the relative records are probably due to the AAC and Big 12 being different.

care to respond to your "notre dame counts as an ACC member in football comment"

it seems the reoccurring theme between us is that you make a false statement ==> i call you out on it ==> you ignore it

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WVU AND TCU were BOTH better choices than UL, The BigEast was licking its chops at the idea of picking up KU basketball (remember, the BE was ALWAYS a basketball first conference much like the ACC is now)along with a few more programs not named Texas or OU (not that they wouldn't want both but most realized they had better options). The MWC needed some football members for SOS purposes to go along with what TCU was doing. The B12 ripped the heart out of both potential suitors by taking WVU/TCU as well as getting their number back to 10, conferences could function with 8 then, the BE did.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know Louisville has killed it in all their sports including women's basketball and baseball. Hard to argue they weren't the best all around sports program in 2013.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know Louisville has killed it in all their sports including women's basketball and baseball. Hard to argue they weren't the best all around sports program in 2013.
Their basketball deserves all the praise it gets, fantastic hoops. Football? Think Boise State couple years ago iyam. Fun? yes. Great? no.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a few ACC'ers (john included) over at Disney said the ACC would never take a team like WVU because of academics.

Yet Tobacco Road took Louisville, which is barely on par with WVU academically. Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
A hearty chuckle indeed.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's take UNLV (ahhhh, Vegas!) and Memphis (ahhh, BBQ!). Those two cities can help ease the pain of traveling to two major shitholes known as Lubbock and Waco.....

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a few ACC'ers (john included) over at Disney said the ACC would never take a team like WVU because of academics.

Yet Tobacco Road took Louisville, which is barely on par with WVU academically. Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
A hearty chuckle indeed.

i never said that a school of WVU's academic caliber would NEVER get an acc invite. what I said is that the ACC wouldnt do that unless they were 1) desperate 2) all the strong academic schools have already been taken.

idiots like you assume that theres this magical bar that each conference has where a school "must be this tall" academically to get in. I have never ever said anything along those lines.

having 13 football schools causes an extremely imbalanced conference schedule and is in violation of NCAA rules. the ACC had to add a new school, the bad blood with uconn meant that they were out and that left louisville as their only option. which sucks for WVU because had they just waited they would of been in the ACC. but hey cant blame em because they didnt have a time machine. however if they had the chance to join the ACC & the b12 would void all exit fee's & GORs WVU would take that deal in a heartbeat

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care to inform us what NCAA rules would be violated?

17.9.5.2 (c) Twelve-Member Conference Championship Game. [FBS/FCS] A conference championship game between division champions of a member conference of 12 or more institutions that is divided into two divisions (of six or more institutions each), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division;

emphasis on the round robin part

it is mathematically impossible for a conference of 13 to play round robin in 2 divisions ==> we both know the ACC is gonna play a ccg no matter what and as it stands with them at 13 they are in violation of that rule and must do something to fix it.

the MAC managed to get a waiver for this from the NCAA ==> however that was only because they are a g5 conference that rarely produces a national title contender. if the ACC tried to do what the MAC did the NCAA wont be as friendly. Its pretty much set in stone by the ncaa that they wont budge on this rule for a power conference. the b12 tried & failed. the pac considered trying to apply for a wavier a few years ago. plus the b10, acc, & SEC didnt fight it at all and just took on a 14th member

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've misunderstood the rule. A round-robin division schedule merely means that every team in the division plays every other team in that same division.
AFAIK the NCAA does not require conferences to play balanced conference schedules. Which is what would happen with CCG conferences having an odd number of teams. It is unlikely that conferences would do that, because of the sense of unfair advantages in the smaller division.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've misunderstood the rule. A round-robin division schedule merely means that every team in the division plays every other team in that same division.
AFAIK the NCAA does not require conferences to play balanced conference schedules. Which is what would happen with CCG conferences having an odd number of teams. It is unlikely that conferences would do that, because of the sense of unfair advantages in the smaller division.

and what part of "that being mathematically impossible with 13 teams" dont you understand

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're being argumentative without addressing the meaning of round-robin divisional schedules.

AFA mathematically impossible, I've already described how it would be done. AFAIK the NCAA does not mandate that all teams in a conference play an equal number of conference games. If it does, provide the rule. BTW, it's not the rule that you already provided.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i never said that a school of WVU's academic caliber would NEVER get an acc invite. what I said is that the ACC wouldnt do that unless they were 1) desperate 2) all the strong academic schools have already been taken.

idiots like you assume that theres this magical bar that each conference has where a school "must be this tall" academically to get in. I have never ever said anything along those lines.

having 13 football schools causes an extremely imbalanced conference schedule and is in violation of NCAA rules. the ACC had to add a new school, the bad blood with uconn meant that they were out and that left louisville as their only option. which sucks for WVU because had they just waited they would of been in the ACC. but hey cant blame em because they didnt have a time machine. however if they had the chance to join the ACC & the b12 would void all exit fee's & GORs WVU would take that deal in a heartbeat

Idiots like me? Bahahahahaha you blowhard, you were the one pumping up the ACC for being holier then though when it came to academics. Bad blood with UConn? No just be real and say FSU threatened to bounce unless Tobacco Road gave in and added a football school. The only one close to that available was UL.
It wouldn't be a heartbeat, but yeah WVU prolly would jump to the ACC.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're being argumentative without addressing the meaning of round-robin divisional schedules.

AFA mathematically impossible, I've already described how it would be done. AFAIK the NCAA does not mandate that all teams in a conference play an equal number of conference games. If it does, provide the rule. BTW, it's not the rule that you already provided.

to have a CCG a every team in each division must play each other (round robin)

at 13 teams that is not mathematically possible without having some teams play more conference games than other teams. ==> which isnt gonna happen either because that is about as unfair & as stupid as it gets.

when are you guys going to face the music and just admit that 13 teams for a power conference is too problematic and will never happen.