• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

August, the Orioles, and the Trade Deadline all arrive: BAL @ TEX 8/1-3

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. None of those 3 will pitch a full MLB season until 2025. They'll have an innings limit in 2024 should they make the Opening Day roster.

The Rangers will need to sign a proven starter who can be here in 2023 and 2024 this offseason, in addition to signing Perez to a multi year deal. When the young guns are ready, bring them up. The most tradable commodity in baseball is starting pitching, so you trade the vets when the youngsters arrive. But you can't plan on when that will be.
Why will they not have an innings limit in 2025 if they have one for 2024? Why would they have one for 2024?

I don't see why each of those three guys can't pitch 140-150 innings in 2023 if they stay healthy.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. None of those 3 will pitch a full MLB season until 2025. They'll have an innings limit in 2024 should they make the Opening Day roster.

The Rangers will need to sign a proven starter who can be here in 2023 and 2024 this offseason, in addition to signing Perez to a multi year deal. When the young guns are ready, bring them up. The most tradable commodity in baseball is starting pitching, so you trade the vets when the youngsters arrive. But you can't plan on when that will be.

Right now Winn is at 78 innings in 18 starts, White is 80 innings in 14 starts and Leiter is at 59 in 15 starts. So we're looking at roughly another 6-8 starts barring injury/bad pitching to accumulate more innings. So they will all probably have limits next year and possible in 24 also depending how the rest of this one and next year goes. Rangers seem to adhere to the mindset of having innings/pitch limits for their young pitchers...

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why will they not have an innings limit in 2025 if they have one for 2024? Why would they have one for 2024?

I don't see why each of those three guys can't pitch 140-150 innings in 2023 if they stay healthy.

See Siggy's post.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad idea
Maybe Santana instead of Richards.. being that Richards can go multiple innings.. which we desperately need unfortunately
Santana is closing in on the most innings in his career and we hold options on him while Richards is on a 1-year deal and he hasn't shown much this year.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now Winn is at 78 innings in 18 starts, White is 80 innings in 14 starts and Leiter is at 59 in 15 starts. So we're looking at roughly another 6-8 starts barring injury/bad pitching to accumulate more innings. So they will all probably have limits next year and possible in 24 also depending how the rest of this one and next year goes. Rangers seem to adhere to the mindset of having innings/pitch limits for their young pitchers...
It has been so long since anyone the caliber of these guys have made it to AAA and the big leagues, that I am not sure how you can say what their mindset has been. This is new territory for this regime and they change their mindset so much that it would seem pointless to guess at their mindset based on any kind of track record since there is no real track record.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been so long since anyone the caliber of these guys have made it to AAA and the big leagues, that I am not sure how you can say what their mindset has been. This is new territory for this regime and they change their mindset so much that it would seem pointless to guess at their mindset based on any kind of track record since there is no real track record.

Them not having many pitchers with major upside the last 10 years or so is true. But they have been doing what most if not all MLB teams have been doing for quite sometime and that is monitor/regulate pitch counts and innings pitched. Even though it really hasn't shown to be what they thought it would be and that is reduce injuries to any significant extent. (but that's their story and they're sticking to it). It basically does what they're going to do with Hearn let him throw as hard as he can for shorter periods instead of pacing himself, if he has an arm injury soon don't be surprised...

If you want examples of limits look at how many pitchers MLB wise has went over 110 pitches in any outing this year, bet you'll not find many. (Most ever thrown in one game is 360, Nolan Ryan once did 235 in one game). You'll also find as they ramp up prospects innings or players returning from injuries (Mike Minor comes to mind) innings they do it in increments. If they did say 60 innings per outing last year 100 is this years target and then 140 is next years target. And this is usually combined with pitch counts somewhere between 60 and 100 depending on where there are in their innings ramp up. So they may not meet their target inning if their control stinks or the opposition is just wearing his ass out...

If you want to see what I'm talking about go to Baseball reference and look up the younguns in question game logs by year as they work their way up and you'll see what I mean. I'm guessing you'll not find any younguns who have exceeded 100 pitches in an outing this year or any other year for the last 15 years...

So yes all MLB teams seem to have a certain mindset about pitching and will continue to do so until someone finally comes up with a different strategy that works better than what really isn't working all that well. Not many players now are "corn fed farm boys" like what the norm used to be so they're not as tough as those who came before them...

It is what it is...

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to have a few throwback pitchers like Perez and and maybe when he comes up Winn who are not max effort and IMO susceptible to injury. In contrast we have J Hernandez and LeClerc who max out a lot. I remember watching Feliz in the TX pen wondering how that little guy could hit around 100 that has to be a cuse of the breakage

However Cole looks like a throwback but he has had TJS twice so that goes against my theory

Regardless signing pitches long term seems a risk due to proliferation of injuries

Reactions: DTC

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to have a few throwback pitchers like Perez and and maybe when he comes up Winn who are not max effort and IMO susceptible to injury. In contrast we have J Hernandez and LeClerc who max out a lot. I remember watching Feliz in the TX pen wondering how that little guy could hit around 100 that has to be a cuse of the breakage

However Cole looks like a throwback but he has had TJS twice so that goes against my theory

Regardless signing pitches long term seems a risk due to proliferation of injuries
so the trend around the league is to sign any pitcher who has been performing over average to at least 4-to-5-year deals. is that long term? and if it is then do we basically let our starting pitchers walk after or when they reach FA?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the trend around the league is to sign any pitcher who has been performing over average to at least 4-to-5-year deals. is that long term? and if it is then do we basically let our starting pitchers walk after or when they reach FA?
I think over 3 can become risky for max pitch guys. It is a dilemma

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think over 3 can become risky for max pitch guys. It is a dilemma
yes it is and i don't think any farm system can keep up with the demand so teams find themselves having to outbid the other teams which pumps up the number of years and the size of the AAV's.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice interview. Not thinking he is quite as skilled defensively as White but bet he is a little better offensively. I hope he gets quite a few starts in a row to see what he can do. Love to see some base running and some of his power

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And now Cole. Here is a guy who has paid his dues and is grateful
Quality character guys we brought up

So easy to root for both of them

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice interview. Not thinking he is quite as skilled defensively as White but bet he is a little better offensively. I hope he gets quite a few starts in a row to see what he can do. Love to see some base running and some of his power

And now Cole. Here is a guy who has paid his dues and is grateful
Quality character guys we brought up

So easy to root for both of them
Now the question is will they produce enough to stick around???

And the next is how many bad performances do they get a free pass on before the fantasy crowd demands they be shipped off to a new zipcode :scratch:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the question is will they produce enough to stick around???

And the next is how many bad performances do they get a free pass on before the fantasy crowd demands they be shipped off to a new zipcode :scratch:
My guess is Cole gets more slack due to supply and demand

Re question 2 - how about 3 but I will take the under

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really don't think of Perez as a 'throwback'. Perhaps I just don't understand what you mean by this............Then you talk about Cole, but then admit your theory has some holes. I go through this weekly, and not just about baseball, unfortunately..........Signing pitchers long term - by definition - is a RISK. But what else can you do?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to one of the talking-heads on Yahoo, Woodward is ranked as the 23rd worst Mgr in the bigs​

23. Chris Woodward — Texas Rangers​

USATSI_16755158-scaled.jpg
Darren Yamashita-USA TODAY Sports

Chris Woodward is a name you could see fly up these ranks in a year time. Woodward took over in Texas back in 2019. Equipped with a middling roster, the Rangers finished Woodard’s first season with a record of 78-84. As a new skipper, Woodward boasted natural leadership skills and a knack for making sound in-game decisions. His early results inspired hope in Ranger fans that the team’s future looked bright.

Not to be overlooked, Woodward also apparently played a part in Texas’ huge offseason. According to the $300 million man Corey Seager, one of the main appeals to signing with the Rangers was the chance to play for Woodward. The two worked together on the Dodgers when Woodward was the team’s third base coach. Playing a part in one of the league’s biggest offseason signings is certainly a notch on Woodward’s resume.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think of Perez as a 'throwback'. Perhaps I just don't understand what you mean by this............Then you talk about Cole, but then admit your theory has some holes. I go through this weekly, and not just about baseball, unfortunately..........Signing pitchers long term - by definition - is a RISK. But what else can you do?
I think Perez is more precision as opposed to blow away with a FB perhaps to the detriment of your arm. Thinking less risk. So I don’t have it figured out scientifically. More just shooting the breeze with my shade tree hypotheses