• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

At a glance: 2019 The Ohio State Buckeyes 2019 College Football Schedule

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JT was a dud before Day got there? Umm, no. The Buckeyes were 11-1 in 2014 with JT starting (even though he wasn't the starter until 10 days before the season when Braxton Miller re-injured his shoulder).

Barrett was named Conference Freshman of the Week seven times and received the Big Ten's Thompson–Randle El Freshman of the Year award. He received the Big Ten's Griese–Brees Quarterback of the Year award in 2014, 2016 and 2017.

He sucked in 2015 but that was all on the coaches not being able to make a decision about QB between Cardale and JT.
I said he was a dud for 2 years. I'm well aware of what he did in 2014. However, 2015 and 2016 were very clear regressions. Then Day got there and he improved dramatically.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His best season was his Freshman year you realize, right? He had one less touchdown on 57 less attempts, better passer rating, more yards per completion and more yards per attempt than his senior season.

His junior season was on par with his sophomore season but he was splitting time with Cardale Jones.

Stop with the bullshit.
The numbers were similar between 2014 and 2017, but don't forget in 2014, he also had Zeke Elliott, Michael Thomas, and Curtis Samuel. After having back-to-back disappointing seasons that had most fans thinking his freshman year was a fluke, Day came in and Barrett shot back up again. Ease up with calling it "bullshit" and have some objectivity already.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry that you are to slow to understand the difference between building something from mediocrity and having a pre-built machine.
Which means Dabo was taking over a team with exponentially lower expectations than at Ohio State. This is taking nothing away from Dabo - what he's done since taking over is absolutely amazing and he's cemented himself in the upper echelon of coaches in the nation. However, knowing you have a much shorter leash and much more pressure to win right away isn't ideal for a first time HC. I think that was the point.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of a sudden, our season depends on whether or not Justin Fields is granted immediate eligibility.
We have enough talent that with a mediocre QB we can win 10 games.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers were similar between 2014 and 2017, but don't forget in 2014, he also had Zeke Elliott, Michael Thomas, and Curtis Samuel. After having back-to-back disappointing seasons that had most fans thinking his freshman year was a fluke, Day came in and Barrett shot back up again. Ease up with calling it "bullshit" and have some objectivity already.
Plus (and I could be wrong), it seemed like we ran a lot more of those sweeps that counted as a pass this freshman year.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prediction, OSU goes 9-3 in the regular season next year.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which means Dabo was taking over a team with exponentially lower expectations than at Ohio State. This is taking nothing away from Dabo - what he's done since taking over is absolutely amazing and he's cemented himself in the upper echelon of coaches in the nation. However, knowing you have a much shorter leash and much more pressure to win right away isn't ideal for a first time HC. I think that was the point.
If he didn’t want to deal with high expectations, then he shouldn’t have chosen a program like Ohio State for his first job.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fields doesn't get the waiver, I can see a potential 9 win season. If he gets it, I don't think we win fewer than 10 games.

There's also injuries as well. I still think it's going to be a rougher transition than expected

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also injuries as well. I still think it's going to be a rougher transition than expected
Who's injured? Other than desperate hope, what makes you think the transition will be rough?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's injured? Other than desperate hope, what makes you think the transition will be rough?
I was suggesting that when you are super shallow at a position like QB, a single injury can be devastating. Assuming a guy will be healthy for an entire year is unlikely.

Again, the transition will be rough because you've downgraded the coaching staff. And the normal struggles that go along with that will be shocking to an OSU fanbase that's dealt with almost no adversity in the last 15 years. When you're used to losing maybe a single game a year and now all of a sudden are losing 2-3, that's going to be interesting to watch the reaction.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was suggesting that when you are super shallow at a position like QB, a single injury can be devastating. Assuming a guy will be healthy for an entire year is unlikely.

Again, the transition will be rough because you've downgraded the coaching staff. And the normal struggles that go along with that will be shocking to an OSU fanbase that's dealt with almost no adversity in the last 15 years. When you're used to losing maybe a single game a year and now all of a sudden are losing 2-3, that's going to be interesting to watch the reaction.
Do you actually know this, or is this just more of you making stuff up because it fits your narrative? Haskins was healthy all year this year. Barrett missed one half of football in 2017, was healthy all of 2016, and both Haskins and Cardale were healthy the year before. Also, we're only shallow if Fields doesn't get his waiver.

We've only "downgraded" at HC. In fact, I'd argue Day was the most consistent coach on the staff last year. Also, OSU has lost 2 games in 2 of the last 3 years, and 3 of the last 6.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you actually know this, or is this just more of you making stuff up because it fits your narrative? Haskins was healthy all year this year. Barrett missed one half of football in 2017, was healthy all of 2016, and both Haskins and Cardale were healthy the year before. Also, we're only shallow if Fields doesn't get his waiver.

We've only "downgraded" at HC. In fact, I'd argue Day was the most consistent coach on the staff last year. Also, OSU has lost 2 games in 2 of the last 3 years, and 3 of the last 6.
Not in the regular season....

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. He's hoping for an injury. Which is just wrong. meeeechegan can't beat Ohio State so all he has left is hope for an injury.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't say it's unlikely. QB is probably the least likely position to suffer an injury.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how that refutes what I said.

Plus, that 38% figure doesn't mean 62% of QBs were injured at some point. This past season, two half of the playoff teams finished with different QBs due to performance.
Ohio State, Oklahoma, Alabama, Clemson, Washington, michigan, LSU, Notre Dame, Georgia, Texas, Penn State, Kentucky, Washington State, Northwestern, Iowa State, Texas A&M, Syracuse, and I'm sure I'm missing some. This is the list of top 25 teams that didn't have to start a backup QB due to injury to the starter.