• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could college football eventually look like this?

Would you be in favor of this type of college football format?

• Total voters

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For FOOTBALL ONLY. No conferences, just divisions. 8 divisions of 9 for a 72-team league. The teams in divisions make sense geographically for the most part. Some of you may have a different take on where or who is included. There are some teams in that don't look as though they belong (example: UNLV and SMU; for the potential to use Al Davis Stadium (72,000) in Paradise and Jerry Jones Stadium (105,000) in Arlington. I didn't use any directional names for the divisions.

-No conference championship games.
-8-game division schedule (round robin).
-4 non-division games.
-16-team playoff (8 division winners and 8 wildcards).
-Playoff teams seeded by CFP rankings.
-The max number of games a team would play is 16.

Division 1--Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, San Diego St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington St.
Division 2--Arizona, Arizona St, Boise St, BYU, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St, UNLV, Utah.
Division 3--Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech.
Division 4--Illinois, Iowa, Iowa St, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin.
Division 5--Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan St, Notre Dame, Ohio St, West Virginia.
Division 6--Boston College, Duke, Maryland, Penn St, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech.
Division 7--Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Memphis, Miss St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.
Division 8--Clemson, Florida, Florida St, NC St, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Miami, South Carolina, Wake Forest.

Would you prefer this or Baylor, Oklahoma St, TCU, and Texas Tech in the Pac-12? West Virginia in the Big XII...? Oh, wait. ;) :D

therealsportsguru

owner of geatathebookie.com
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For FOOTBALL ONLY. No conferences, just divisions. 8 divisions of 9 for a 72-team league. The teams in divisions make sense geographically for the most part. Some of you may have a different take on where or who is included. There are some teams in that don't look as though they belong (example: UNLV and SMU; for the potential to use Al Davis Stadium (72,000) in Paradise and Jerry Jones Stadium (105,000) in Arlington. I didn't use any directional names for the divisions.

-4 non-division games.

Division 1--Cal, Oregon, Oregon St, San Diego St, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington St.
Division 2--Arizona, Arizona St, Boise St, BYU, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St, UNLV, Utah.
Division 3--Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech.
Division 4--Illinois, Iowa, Iowa St, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin.
Division 5--Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan St, Notre Dame, Ohio St, West Virginia.
Division 6--Boston College, Duke, Maryland, Penn St, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech.
Division 7--Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Memphis, Miss St, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt.
Division 8--Clemson, Florida, Florida St, NC St, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Miami, South Carolina, Wake Forest.

Would you prefer this or Baylor, Oklahoma St, TCU, and Texas Tech in the Pac-12? West Virginia in the Big XII...? Oh, wait. ;) :D
Looks good and make sense but will ESPN make money off of it. Can NCAA sell this to ESPN. You know they calling all the shots now.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-4 non-division games.

From what I've been told when the Raiders moved to Vegas there was a already a deal in place that would allowed UNLV to call the place home. Sure has hell beats old Sam Boyd Stadium in Henderson.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot imagine a way that OSU would agree to be in the same "division" with another school in the state of Ohio.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot imagine a way that OSU would agree to be in the same "division" with another school in the state of Ohio.
I can't imagine Ohio St being afraid of Cincinnati.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-4 non-division games.

I think we are headed toward something like that. I believe it will be done by existing leagues expanding, rather than creating
new "Divisions." What will the size of the leagues, eventually be is a guess. It could be 16 teams per league, up to a Maximum
of 20 teams per league. Each League would be divided into ten team divisions with a playoff game being the first game of a
playoff. It would be capped at 4 leagues, giving the conf title game winner, a spot in the 4-team playoff.

When the current set-up was devised it was done, orginally with only 4 leagues...Big10, SEC, Big12, Pac12. The ACC was
left out. The Big10 and Pac12 wanted conf champs only in a playoff, the other two balked at that idea. Both the Big10
and Pac12 have had their conf champs eliminated by committee...that will not happen again. Thus to get the four desired
leagues to bolt the NCAA for football only, everybody is gonna have to be in agreement.

I would prefer the regional type set-up, but with it being Footbll Only, that won't be as big an issue, for schools having to put
softball and tennis teams on airplanes to fly around the country.

I understand the thinking about stadium size, however, 28 of your teams have seating capacities under 60,000, and I can't see
anybody putting UNLV into this group and leaving out UCF, USF, Army, Navy, Air Force and a few others.

But what the hell...Nothing else to do.

Locke888

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d prefer this over 1 or 2 mega conferences.
Actually would like 8 divisions of 10 teams. 9 game round robin.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d prefer this over 1 or 2 mega conferences.
Actually would like 8 divisions of 10 teams. 9 game round robin.
80 teams? What 8 teams would you add? I had a helluva time coming up with 72. It's also a bitch that there's not that many teams on the West side of the US, but there's a shitload east of the Mississippi.

When you look at the map it's just mind bottling.
Did you just say mind bottling?
Yeah, you know when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped like in a bottle.

Locke888

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80 teams? What 8 teams would you add? I had a helluva time coming up with 72. It's also a bitch that there's not that many teams on the West side of the US, but there's a shitload east of the Mississippi.

When you look at the map it's just mind bottling.
Did you just say mind bottling?
Yeah, you know when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped like in a bottle.

Gotta be 8 more out of the 60 you left out. I prefer more but at the same time 130+ is a bit much for sure. I could even go to 100.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What incentive does the SEC have to agree to something like this though? Of course it all comes down to $$$. But even if you can prove to SEC schools that this plan would give them more $$$ individually (not sure it would or wouldn’t), they wouldn’t like any idea that would put all other current Power 5 schools on an even playing field…

therealsportsguru

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What incentive does the SEC have to agree to something like this though? Of course it all comes down to $$$. But even if you can prove to SEC schools that this plan would give them more $$$ individually (not sure it would or wouldn’t), they wouldn’t like any idea that would put all other current Power 5 schools on an even playing field…
Yeah it would be a tough sell to a conference that's already making all the money in college football.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it would be a tough sell to a conference that's already making all the money in college football.
You cannot be PM'd.
I tried yesterday and someone wanted to "apologise" today.

Not sure if you intentionally do not want private messages?

therealsportsguru

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cannot be PM'd.
I tried yesterday and someone wanted to "apologise" today.

Not sure if you intentionally do not want private messages?
I am still trying to figure this thing out, how do I open them up?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still trying to figure this thing out, how do I open them up?
I'm no expert. It has been a long time since I set up my profile.

Look at your profile and view privacy. Check out what your setting is for: Start conversations with you

therealsportsguru

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no expert. It has been a long time since I set up my profile.

Look at your profile and view privacy. Check out what your setting is for: Start conversations with you
it says anyone who is a member can start a conversation with me.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is off the top of my head, but here is how I would align them. All other D-I teams can be moved into divisions, and a tournament can be played at the end of the season. After 3 seasons, four teams will move up and down.

I know it is full of holes, and I probably forgot more deserving teams, but this is the 32 team I'd have in a new super league. Again, other teams can move up, while some move down due to poor play.

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 1.44.37 PM.png