• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are dark times ahead for NCAA football?

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the networks will pay to broadcast the best college players.

You're totally ignoring the fact college football viewership is HIGHLY regional. Casual fans of college football watch regional games way more than nationally televised games. There's only a small handful of college teams that move the needle nationally. You're also ignoring the fact the current TV contracts in place are too lucrative for any school in their right mind to abandon for some start up league for the sole purpose their athletes can collect endorsements. You have to follow the money. The best players aren't going to leave high school any time soon for any schools that don't participate in nationally televised games. Just ain't going to happen at the risk of a fringe league with little to no exposure just so they can make a few extra bucks (because that's exactly what they're worth coming out of high school). If you have aspirations of playing at the next level, no way in hell are you going to play in a minor league system straight out of high school.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once California starts treating the players fairly it’s going to spread. If the NCAA doesn’t get on board it will crumble. It’ll be a civil rights issue and the NCAA will be Jim Crow.

And the NFL recruits from schools that are hardly ever on national TV all the time. They’re looking for very specific criteria in the combine. Exact height, speed, strength - they don’t care where you got it. You’re just thinking high profile draft picks. Most of it is totally mundane.

California sports (and Pac 12 for that matter) is irrelevant to the rest of the country. In zero way is this a civil rights issue or anywhere close to Jim Crow and frankly you should be embarrassed for trying to equate the two.

You are completely wrong with the NFL. If this passes and the NCAA stands strong like they should none of the recruits that go to the California schools will play anything other than a club sport. Fox and ESPN I guarantee have some kind of out clause if the California schools lose their NCAA status.

Last edited:

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Universities should be for education, not minor league athletics. And not many are anymore.

I'd lose zero sleep over the demise.
Exactly. End of the day, it's basically a minor league. What minor league players in any sport are making serious coin? Exactly, none. If these players think they're bigger than the universities they play for, they have another thing coming. Fan support of the sport will be gone like yesterday since the playing field will get even more weighted to the top teams if we start compensating them in any way. Fans of college football are tied to their teams because of alumni status and regional support, not because of specific players. Half the country could give a rat's ass about college football. It's not the same animal as the NFL and the money to pay them won't be there like they think it is. Less than 1% of these guys have any ability of going pro, so what endorsements do they think they're really worth? Ain't as much as their free ride they're getting for college I can tell you that.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. End of the day, it's basically a minor league. What minor league players in any sport are making serious coin? Exactly, none. If these players think they're bigger than the universities they play for, they have another thing coming. Fan support of the sport will be gone like yesterday since the playing field will get even more weighted to the top teams if we start compensating them in any way. Fans of college football are tied to their teams because of alumni status and regional support, not because of specific players. Half the country could give a rat's ass about college football. It's not the same animal as the NFL and the money to pay them won't be there like they think it is. Less than 1% of these guys have any ability of going pro, so what endorsements do they think they're really worth? Ain't as much as their free ride they're getting for college I can tell you that.

I sincerely doubt that you wouldn't care about the demise of the NCAA.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't being paid to play. They are paid for their likeness.

More than likely, the Oregon and Washington legislatures would just adopt similar laws.
They can adopt it all they want but it won’t force the NCAA to allow them to be paid. Again, weed is legal in a few states, an NFL player can smoke weed and still be suspended for breaking their rules even though it is legal in said state.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sincerely doubt that you wouldn't care about the demise of the NCAA.

Did I say that or the other guy?

tenor.gif

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington and Oregon to the BigXII is intriguing. Do you bring along the lesser Washington and Oregon schools, or go after the hotties in Arizona, or the weed in Colorado? Add Washington, Oregon, ASU and UAz? Boise might finally get what it wants and get into the PAC.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington and Oregon to the BigXII is intriguing. Do you bring along the lesser Washington and Oregon schools, or go after the hotties in Arizona, or the weed in Colorado? Add Washington, Oregon, ASU and UAz? Boise might finally get what it wants and get into the PAC.
Weed is legal in Washington and Oregon also.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone please get Washington out of this pos conference.

giphy.gif

always thought the big 12 would explode on its way to the power 4 - 16 team super confrences.

now it appears that non-cal schools will just join the Big XII....

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just means little schools like Notre Dame won't be able to compete with big schools like UCF and tOSU

#UCFacts

I think our quad (The Oval) alone is bigger than ND.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our quad (The Oval) alone is bigger than ND.
I was walking around Des Moines with an Ohio State Football t-shirt today, and a chick came up to me and said: *Ohio State is the best football team in the world! I'm from OHiO!* lol. I just smiled and said O-H! Wasn't looking for any, but...:D it was nice.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was walking around Des Moines with an Ohio State Football t-shirt today, and a chick came up to me and said: *Ohio State is the best football team in the world! I'm from OHiO!* lol. I just smiled and said O-H! Wasn't looking for any, but...:D it was nice.
She was probably on her way to the free clinic.