• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An explanation of the calls by the refs in the Packer/Lion's game

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then you get the Dallas/Jets ending with straight penalties.

I'm not against it.

Guys need to play by the rules.

But I always hated that nonsense that holding happens on every play. Call it. Ban open hand blocking, Do something. Can't just let it happen and then just call it once in a while.
I'd like to see it called only if it matters....if it was behind the play, for instance, and played no role, let it go.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't there been many calls against Clay Matthews for roughing that were questionable? do they forget the "Pack do well" edict on those?

Sorry. It was a rather obscure reference to a quote by Rush Limbaugh from like 15 years ago. It seems that no one else picked it up.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that's right, I guess no contact is more like Kyle Guy getting undercut throwing up a prayer from three so he can shoot free throws.

You're going to need step your troll game up.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another option I know will never happen but at this point it might not bother me. No more replays of questionable calls....ever. Not on TV, in the stadium, etc. would at least curb the complaining. Sure, might miss calls but we'd never know.

Hmm, I don't understand how that makes sense. Replay the calls (just like they do today). Just have a panel of refs (or hell, this forum at this point) speak into a microphone that goes directly to the head refs ear and say, "Approved, penalty on <insert player/team>" or "Not approved, no penalty."

NFL QBs/Captains have a green sticker on their helmet that helps them talk with the head coach. Why refs aren't given this to talk with some jackass who can see EVERYTHING clear as fucking day is beyond me.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if anyone else noticed this but when you watch the first "hands to the face" penalty. The ref doesn't call anything until it's obvious that Rodgers is down and going to be sacked. The ref watches the whole play and never reaches for his flag until Rodgers is on the ground. I even noticed this last night when I was watching it live. Watch the video and at 14 seconds the ref still has both hands on his knees, one second later Rodgers hits the turf and the ref starts reaching for his flag. This proves nothing of course, but it does look extra suspicious in my opinion. It's almost like the ref was thinking "lets see if they make a play and if they don't I can always bail them out". It's the lateness of the flag that makes it so suspicious. If the ref thought Flowers was putting his hands in the face of the lineman he would have been reaching for that flag 2 to 3 seconds sooner. And that call was the biggest one because it ultimately led to a TD.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in soccer, a player can be given a yellow card for embellishment although they don't do nearly enough when players go down like their ankle has been cleaved in two....

The dark arts are in every sport. From flopping in basketball to pitch framing in baseball. If a lineman can process what's going on that quickly and risk the DL getting home and crushing his QB, then so be it. A simple replay could have found that there was no penalty.

Refs shouldn't be reacting to what they think they might have seen; if they didn't actually see it for sure, don't call it. Crap happens in the NBA too, when the refs anticipate contact and call a foul when the shooter is barely even breathed upon.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, I don't understand how that makes sense. Replay the calls (just like they do today). Just have a panel of refs (or hell, this forum at this point) speak into a microphone that goes directly to the head refs ear and say, "Approved, penalty on <insert player/team>" or "Not approved, no penalty."

NFL QBs/Captains have a green sticker on their helmet that helps them talk with the head coach. Why refs aren't given this to talk with some jackass who can see EVERYTHING clear as fucking day is beyond me.
First, this is not something I believe could or would ever happen. But to answer how it ever could? I would imagine before replay was invented it happened all the time. Had we never heard about replay this is how games would go. And we'd love them still.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs shouldn't be reacting to what they think they might have seen; if they didn't actually see it for sure, don't call it. Crap happens in the NBA too, when the refs anticipate contact and call a foul when the shooter is barely even breathed upon.
Agree but in this game if they were fooled into it which you stated (and I agree) then they did think they saw it. And in their mind they were probably sure.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just do away with penalties altogether. That way, it's at least a fair fight between both teams, and we don't have all those stoppages for the ref to get his mug on the telly.

Sure the games would suck, but to the average fan they already do, so not a big difference there
I want Burfict in this situation.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L
I don't know if anyone else noticed this but when you watch the first "hands to the face" penalty. The ref doesn't call anything until it's obvious that Rodgers is down and going to be sacked. The ref watches the whole play and never reaches for his flag until Rodgers is on the ground. I even noticed this last night when I was watching it live. Watch the video and at 14 seconds the ref still has both hands on his knees, one second later Rodgers hits the turf and the ref starts reaching for his flag. This proves nothing of course, but it does look extra suspicious in my opinion. It's almost like the ref was thinking "lets see if they make a play and if they don't I can always bail them out". It's the lateness of the flag that makes it so suspicious. If the ref thought Flowers was putting his hands in the face of the lineman he would have been reaching for that flag 2 to 3 seconds sooner. And that call was the biggest one because it ultimately led to a TD.

I know this is a conspiracy theory to most but I truely believe they have to make those calls purposely. I don't believe every game is rigged. But the big games are IMO

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When we say that, it makes sense.

But, the players are bigger than ever and faster than ever.
There's just no way a ref can consistently run end to end and make accurate calls based on their judgment of what they thought they saw.

I believe replay should be a part of every sport that requires judgment to enforce the rules of said sport.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, this is not something I believe could or would ever happen. But to answer how it ever could? I would imagine before replay was invented it happened all the time. Had we never heard about replay this is how games would go. And we'd love them still.

I understand your stance on not thinking it would happen because the NFL is retarded and obviously wants to fix games, but how do you think it couldn't happen? It seems fairly obvious to me that any flag thrown could be quickly reviewed by a panel and MAJOR missed flags (like the Rams/Saints game) could be called down from that same panel. If this was implemented the Browns would've won this weekend, lol.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

L0ok closely at the 46 second mark - I missed that on the several replays we all saw last night but you can now see the infraction

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your stance on not thinking it would happen because the NFL is retarded and obviously wants to fix games, but how do you think it couldn't happen? It seems fairly obvious to me that any flag thrown could be quickly reviewed by a panel and MAJOR missed flags (like the Rams/Saints game) could be called down from that same panel. If this was implemented the Browns would've won this weekend, lol.
Not talking about your idea not happening. Meant mine....eliminating replay being used, at least where fans could see it.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L

I know this is a conspiracy theory to most but I truely believe they have to make those calls purposely. I don't believe every game is rigged. But the big games are IMO

If we do not understand something, that doesn't mean it's rigged.

When a ref sees a play, it can take a few seconds to register what it is that they are seeing.
Then comes the reflex to pull the flag.
Maybe that takes another few seconds.
Or maybe they weren't sure what they saw the first time around, so now they have taken a few seconds to process the information and now they determine that it was a penalty and then they go for their flag.

Could take 5-10 seconds to throw a flag after 'witnessing' a potential penalty.

I think the Lions got screwed, but there's no way the ref saw the result of the play, then threw the flag to 'protect' whatever possible conspiracy was occurring.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don’t you post enough conspiracies in the PF? The whole world is a conspiracy to you.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not talking about your idea not happening. Meant mine....eliminating replay being used, at least where fans could see it.

No I get that.. I guess that would work lol... seems like a pretty dumb solution but I would not be surprised if the NFL implements it. Problem is China would probably hack the cameras and leak the replay footage on YouTube...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we say that, it makes sense.

But, the players are bigger than ever and faster than ever.
There's just no way a ref can consistently run end to end and make accurate calls based on their judgment of what they thought they saw.

I believe replay should be a part of every sport that requires judgment to enforce the rules of said sport.
I really believe people lose sight of how difficult the NFL is to officiate. This isn't baseball where 1-2 people are around nearly every close call. Not up to a dozen. No penalties. Safe, out, catch, no catch. Balls/strikes another story but they choose not to just let lasers handle it.

There can be up to a dozen huge guys all moving at top speed when looking at plays on the line. And how about catch/no catch? Sure, probably only 1-2 players involved but need to know does he catch it....did he maintain all the way through.......were both feet in bounds (kind of hard to see feet and if he caught at same time)....also, was he interfered with.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I get that.. I guess that would work lol... seems like a pretty dumb solution but I would not be surprised if the NFL implements it. Problem is China would probably hack the cameras and leak the replay footage on YouTube...
No doubt dumb (why I said wont ever happen), but at the very least would make games more watchable with less crying.