• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An explanation of the calls by the refs in the Packer/Lion's game

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh I forgot you cant block players anymore...the blindside block call is getting RIDICULOUS

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its called the Brady rule because of the play that he tore his ACL

its a bad rule to start with. Just a juvenile overreaction by the league.

but my point was your hip is no where near your knee. That can’t be called there

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then you get the Dallas/Jets ending with straight penalties.

I'm not against it.

Guys need to play by the rules.

But I always hated that nonsense that holding happens on every play. Call it. Ban open hand blocking, Do something. Can't just let it happen and then just call it once in a while.

The Refs call things when they see things, and they call things based on the way they were trained to call things. But this hands to the face rule specifically talks about forceful action, action which would rock the head back. If a ref sees a players hands in the face of another player and that head rocks back they need to make that call.

The Lions left points on the field that is why they lost this game.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, but now the refs not only don't know the rules and they can throw a flag for anything. I have seen more bad calls the last two years than I ever have. Protecting players is coming to an extreme level.

Players can only hit players (especially QB's) from the chest to thighs essentially. But new penalties are getting called every day.

Apparently you can't take down a QB by grabbing jersey on his upper back, that is a horse collar.

If you run into a player accidently, you could get called for a penalty and possibly targeting now. It is getting worse by the week. Incidental contact will always be flagged. I've seen full length field drives where the team has essentially scored off penalties. It's dumbing down the game.
Actually, even the thigh is too low on QBs now. I've seen more than a few called when tge defenders helmet was in the QBs stomach which means the shoulder pads are on the hip but because the QB goes down awkward and the defender ends up on top of the legs, it gets called. I'm all for protecting the assets (i.e. star QBs) but it has become ridiculous at times.
I don't even like it when it benefits my guy like it has the last couple weeks. I don't try to defend it either. It is what the league has become.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is quite the coincidence isn't it?

Somehow NE gets far more calls than anyone. And never once does the league acknowledge they got them wrong on their behalf....very eerie indeed.

they called a penalty in I think the Florida/LSU game where a QB was hit on his hip and they called it the Brady rule.

His god damn hip.

Brady got that call once against the Ravens like a decade ago. it wasn't even close to his knee and he called it anyway. But man, it is just so bad out there.

E0F4EC67-B9D8-4445-A92D-2B07DCDC1A22.png

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of like when Ty Jerome double dribbled but there was no call in the Final Four?
No, more like when Grayson Allen clearly traveled when there was no contact.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blindside block LOL

These can't consistently keep happening and we can actually take football seriously.

q7L6kD.gif

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is now a horse collar

jZ659B.gif

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The refs absolutely played a role in deciding this game. However I am at the point where I am not even blaming the officials. The NFL has put them in no position to succeed

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, even the thigh is too low on QBs now. I've seen more than a few called when tge defenders helmet was in the QBs stomach which means the shoulder pads are on the hip but because the QB goes down awkward and the defender ends up on top of the legs, it gets called. I'm all for protecting the assets (i.e. star QBs) but it has become ridiculous at times.
I don't even like it when it benefits my guy like it has the last couple weeks. I don't try to defend it either. It is what the league has become.

National Flag Football League

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this in another, perhaps the wrong thread but honestly WTF people. The hands were to the face, the head was rocked back it's a penalty plain and simple. And taking the "You don't make that call in that situation" approach is asinine. If it's a penalty you make the call.
Are you talking about the two plays in question last night?

If so you need to see an optometrist.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the official Rule Book. Notice ot DOESN'T say NEAR the neck. Refs are tap dancing their way through this mess.

ARTICLE 7. ILLEGAL USE OF HANDS BY DEFENSE

It is a foul if a defensive player thrusts his hands or arms forward above the frame of an opponent to forcibly contact him on the neck, face, or head.

Note: Contact in close-line play is not a foul, unless it is direct and forcible, or prolonged.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about the two plays in question last night?

If so you need to see an optometrist.
Well, thanks for the wonderful and thought provoking response. Let me ponder this and get back with you. Just Hold Tight!

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This actually happens in professional soccer. They use goal line technology to confirm all goals (just like TDs).
But, any potential violations in the box or nasty fouls are reviewed by the booth and they then call down to inform the ref on what the call should be. The ref then goes to video to confirm.

If we can get reviews within seconds from a play that just happened, then the eye in the sky should be able to do the same thing and quickly call down to the ref to alert them of a call/non-call. The ref should have the option of going to video if the booth isn't sure, but if it's a no-brainer, then the ref should have the option not to review it and just enforce what the booth has called. I think folks wouldn't mind if the game went a bit longer, but had less interference from bad calls. Even with a running clock in soccer, it's worked rather well.
I don't think the ref needs to confirm. The "eye in the sky" can make the ruling and overturn any call. It wouldn't really add any time. The refs are already talking it over among themselves. The sky judge would just chime in and tell them to pick the flag up. No questions asked.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the ref needs to confirm. The "eye in the sky" can make the ruling and overturn any call. It wouldn't really add any time. The refs are already talking it over among themselves. The sky judge would just chime in and tell them to pick the flag up. No questions asked.

Agreed.

That's why I mentioned in the next paragraph that the ref should have the option to review it.
Hopefully the review wouldn't be necessary in the majority of cases, but there may be situations where the ref needs to see it in order to explain it?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if they made all the linemen wear fingerless gloves. Kind of like boxing gloves but smaller? That would eliminate most holding penalties, Hands to the face, etc.

I’m obviously joking, but :scratch:

If I were a coach that is what my OL would wear in training camp.

Holding calls kill drives more than a blown block does.

The new emphasis on holding has exposed the fact that NFL OL havent been taught the correct way to block in the last 20 or so years.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only issue with this is they already review DPI and get it wrong. More reviews to just ignore a penalty will only incite fans more

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

That's why I mentioned in the next paragraph that the ref should have the option to review it.
Hopefully the review wouldn't be necessary in the majority of cases, but there may be situations where the ref needs to see it in order to explain it?
I guess I can see that. But I think the "eye" would be used mostly to overturn a flag that should not have been thrown.