• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An explanation of the calls by the refs in the Packer/Lion's game

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess according to this it does not have to be hands to the face to be a penalty

NFL Refs Explain Controversial Calls Late in Lions’ Loss | Heavy.com

A pool report interview with NFL referee Clete Blakeman in the postgame shed some more light on the controversial calls, but the insights didn’t exactly do much to alleviate the frustrations. Here is Blakeman’s full response when asked what the crew discussed and saw on the calls:

“The umpire threw both of them. The last one was really the only one I’ve discussed with him. Basically, it’s for illegal use of hands, hands-to-the-face foul. To be a foul, we basically need some forceful contact that’s prolonged to the head and neck area of the defender. So, in his mind he had pinned him back, it was prolonged, and that’s what created the foul.”

NFL referee Clete Blakeman in Monday night’s referee pool report.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess according to this it does not have to be hands to the face to be a penalty

A pool report interview with NFL referee Clete Blakeman in the postgame shed some more light on the controversial calls, but the insights didn’t exactly do much to alleviate the frustrations. Here is Blakeman’s full response when asked what the crew discussed and saw on the calls:

“The umpire threw both of them. The last one was really the only one I’ve discussed with him. Basically, it’s for illegal use of hands, hands-to-the-face foul. To be a foul, we basically need some forceful contact that’s prolonged to the head and neck area of the defender. So, in his mind he had pinned him back, it was prolonged, and that’s what created the foul.”

Shut up, stupid

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no matter the game, no matter the team

it's bad game after game and has determined a lot of results

so NBA like

They should just do away with penalties altogether. That way, it's at least a fair fight between both teams, and we don't have all those stoppages for the ref to get his mug on the telly.

Sure the games would suck, but to the average fan they already do, so not a big difference there

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to take the lead from the last football league to go under. They had a great system with the sky judge who could overrule any call made on the field.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to take the lead from the last football league to go under. They had a great system with the sky judge who could overrule any call made on the field.

Good point...the reason we have officials on the field is because when the game was invented, we did not have hundreds of cameras in the stadium.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmmm... The rules official in the booth or where ever he was I believe never mentioned a anything like that

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if they made all the linemen wear fingerless gloves. Kind of like boxing gloves but smaller? That would eliminate most holding penalties, Hands to the face, etc.

I’m obviously joking, but :scratch:

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just have every play as challengeable.
So long as you have a timeout, you can make a challenge.
Win the challenge and you get your timeout back.

One potential drawback is if a defense tries to challenge something in order to get their players rest as they try to protect a lead.

Wouldn't mind having an eye in the sky that constantly updates refs on where the ball should be spotted, etc. In my mind, ball spots near the first down marker should be reviewed automatically. If they have to bring the chains out to measure, might as well used that time to review the play to ensure the ball was spotted correctly.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure why people are upset now, these kind of calls against the Lions are not new. Lions dont generally need the refs help to lose, but they are sure happy to anyway.

So far my favorite part is Flowers in stunned silence trying to explain that this never happened on the Patriots.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point...the reason we have officials on the field is because when the game was invented, we did not have hundreds of cameras in the stadium.
It's pretty simple to fix. A person up high (or even in New York) gets the same feeds as we do on TV. He calls down to the official and has them pick up the flag. It's just stupid that people at home can make better calls than the officials.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA became unwatchable years ago but it’s still huge. So I guess it is watchable. I think the constantl
time foul bullshit at the end of almost every game is untenable.

This is the worst season yet for the NFL. I can’t watch it live. I have to use my dvr because there’s so much stoppage. Instant replay is deplorable. Endless injury timeouts (just get the fuck off the field). Holding every single play. Never a punt or kick off without a penalty. Basically a flag on every exciting play. It fucking sucks. But people keep watching so...

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just have every play as challengeable.
So long as you have a timeout, you can make a challenge.
Win the challenge and you get your timeout back.

One potential drawback is if a defense tries to challenge something in order to get their players rest as they try to protect a lead.

Wouldn't mind having an eye in the sky that constantly updates refs on where the ball should be spotted, etc. In my mind, ball spots near the first down marker should be reviewed automatically. If they have to bring the chains out to measure, might as well used that time to review the play to ensure the ball was spotted correctly.
No because they screw that shit up too. Just make it like college and have an official in the booth looking at every play. However that will not help with penalties like this beause those arent reviewable and frankly I dont want them to be because its already costing teams TOs and challenges beause the idiots refuse to overturn clear PI

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty simple to fix. A person up high (or even in New York) gets the same feeds as we do on TV. He calls down to the official and has them pick up the flag. It's just stupid that people at home can make better calls than the officials.

This actually happens in professional soccer. They use goal line technology to confirm all goals (just like TDs).
But, any potential violations in the box or nasty fouls are reviewed by the booth and they then call down to inform the ref on what the call should be. The ref then goes to video to confirm.

If we can get reviews within seconds from a play that just happened, then the eye in the sky should be able to do the same thing and quickly call down to the ref to alert them of a call/non-call. The ref should have the option of going to video if the booth isn't sure, but if it's a no-brainer, then the ref should have the option not to review it and just enforce what the booth has called. I think folks wouldn't mind if the game went a bit longer, but had less interference from bad calls. Even with a running clock in soccer, it's worked rather well.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Booger should be kicked out of the booth for rabble rousing and biased commentary.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No because they screw that shit up too. Just make it like college and have an official in the booth looking at every play. However that will not help with penalties like this beause those arent reviewable and frankly I dont want them to be because its already costing teams TOs and challenges beause the idiots refuse to overturn clear PI

To be fair, there's only like 15' of actual NFL action. Most of the time is spent in the huddle or waiting for the next snap.
If it takes us 30 seconds at home to review a play and see something obvious, then the same should apply to the booth. I'd rather they spend some time and get it right than having us all wait until the next time it happens against our team and we go ballistic on anonymous message boards...

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck instant replay. Live with call and play on. Ref fucks up so what. Just keep it going. Bad calls can go either way. Play the fucking game. And half the time they get the replay wrong. Weird tv angles and slow motion create optical illusions. Indisputable my ass, they change shit all the time when you can’t tell. Especially this is it really a catchy bullshit. The ball bounced a fucking centimeter. Stupid as fuck and hella boring.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, there's only like 15' of actual NFL action. Most of the time is spent in the huddle or waiting for the next snap.
If it takes us 30 seconds at home to review a play and see something obvious, then the same should apply to the booth. I'd rather they spend some time and get it right than having us all wait until the next time it happens against our team and we go ballistic on anonymous message boards...

Replays take up to five minutes then the offense has the time to get set on top off all that.

Just play the goddamn game.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Booger should be kicked out of the booth for rabble rousing and biased commentary.

Even the retarded media was writing about it endlessly. Booger was 100% correct and the writers are repeating it.

Just take your undeserved screwjob win and STFU.

Packers had 1 bad call in their history that cost them a game and we still have you guys crying about it. Imagine if this happened to the Packers. We would hear about it for the next 50 years.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no matter the game, no matter the team

it's bad game after game and has determined a lot of results

so NBA like

It has determined Super Bowls.

See the falcons.

See costing he chiefs a sb berth last year.

Or Jacksonville 2 years ago.