• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams@Chargers Post-Game Analysis: Rams lose 24-27

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The conspiracy the referee crews have going against the Rams has now been officially been exposed with this game against the Chargers. The first time may be contributed to human error but not anymore. Of course it is not some organized threat by the league crews. That would be giving these guys way too much credit but it is very obvious that ref crews talk among themselves and when they see the Rams on their schedule, they all become hypercritical as evidenced again today. When there is no apparent foul, they manufacture one and they do it against the Rams when it appears the Rams may win the game.

This has become so blatant, that Jeff Fisher should file a formal complaint with the league office and referees should lose their jobs for the stuff they are pulling against the Rams. They manufactured two devastating penalties both that robbed us of potential points today. One was an offense lining up in the neutral zone on a field goal attempt that had no basis and the second manufactured penalty was on McFadden on an Austin punt return when McFadden touched no one. Both seriously robbed of us of potential scoring opportunities and were so blatant that these crews should now be called to the carpet for this sort of bias that belies any logical explanation other than a conspiracy.

At any rate, the Rams fought back and had an opportunity to tie or even win this game overcoming penalties that cost us a TD in the second quarter, bad play-calling, turnovers, poor throws by Hill, and a blocked field goal. On a day when the defenses from both teams were scoring TDs, the Rams managed to scratch their way back to get the ball back after a three and out by the defense with just 2 minutes to go in the game. After some beautifully thrown balls to Cook and Stedman Bailey, we reached the 12 yard line with the opportunity to score a TD for the win. After a run by Benny Cunningham that got us to the 5 yard line, Shottenheimer calls for a short pass that was picked off and the game was over. We were all trying to figure out why Tre Mason was taken out of the game that close to the goal line and a pass play called. Hill had been throwing balls into double coverage four times previously and he did it again never seeing the defender that intercepted the ball from Cook. Game over.

On Offense. The Positives. We scored in the first, the third, and the fourth quarters offensively which was good. Hill went 19 for 36 for 198 yards compared to Rivers 29-35 for 291 yards. We had a total of 317 total yards compared to SD’s 410. Tre Mason had 16 carries for 62 yards and we had a total of 107 yards rushing against a top-ten defense. Stedman Bailey was high man among the receivers going 7 for 89 yards followed by K. Britt going 2 for 37 yards. As SJ has stated often, Stedman Bailey catches everything and he did again today. Our O-line allowed only one sack all day for 9 yards and they blocked well enough with the running game to have Tre Mason establish a very good control running game especially in the third quarter. Our red zone efficiency was actually better than SD’s going 2-4 compared to their 0-2.

On Offense. The Negatives. In a word, PENALTIES killed us. We had 9 of them for 90 yards and Barksdale, who has been screwing up lately had a hands-to-the-face penalty that negated a TD. That’s unforgiveable. Robinson had two penalties as well. The Barksdale screw-up was the difference in a game where we could have easily had 35 points if we would have scored TDs and eliminated penalties. Also, Shaun Hill threw 2 INTS, one of which was at the very end of the game that killed us. We had 2 fumbles as well and we lost one of them. I am calling ou Shottenheimer for his continued craziness in play-calling that usually ends bad for us. Today was no exception especially at the very end of the game.

On Defense. The Positives. We have established a top-ten defense and without them we would not have been remotely in this game. Kudos goes to Janoris Jenkins who redeemed himself after six weeks of bad play, boneheaded moves, and getting beat. He read a pass play perfectly today and took it 99-yards for a pick six in the first half. Ogletree was quietly the high man on tackles with 9. Laurinaitus was second with 8. We had three more sacks today and they were timely. Brockers, Langford, and A. Donald came through.

On Defense. The Negatives. We continue to give up the big play and too many points. We gave up another 100-yard rushing game today after holding Denver’s RB to under 50 yards one week ago. Poor tackling, Laurinaitus often looking lost and out of place, and a defense that continually left a huge hole right behind Laurinaitus that McCoy and Rivers exploited all day with dink and dunk passes that at one point resulted in 17 unanswered points kept SD in the game. That large area was created when Williams had our Safeties playing way too deep. Rivers masterfully exploited that area along with Matthews and with our lack of TDs was the difference defensively.

On Special Teams. The Positives. Zuerlein had his customary FGs. Johnny Hekker had a couple of good punts and again threw a brilliant pass to Bailey on a fake punt in the fourth quarter that kept us in the game. It was a thing of beauty and Fisher has called this play so often that teams are now preparing for the fake punt. We are pretty darn good at it at this point. Kudos to Tavon Austin for breaking a punt return wide open late in the game. It was a thing of beauty to watch as well except the refs had to be the twelveth man and take it all away with another manufactured penalty.

On Special Teams. The Negatives. Penalties, the real ones and a blocked FG where nobody blocked yet we were flagged with another phantom call. See the top of this blog.

Well, we go home for a game against the Raiders, 4 and 7. Our season is in jeopardy. After today, it is difficult to think about what could have been and what will be. One consolation is that with all of this adversity, we have become gritty and tough as nails which has been a hallmark of Fisher’s squads in the past. We may just emerge from this a pretty good football team at some point in the future but don’t ask me when! See all of you next week!! :yahoo:

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well done retro, I'm stunned right now over the loss. The Rams are at least making games interesting, but games like this make an old man of me, oh wait, I'm already old.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YEp, if we can carry the tough lessons we are learning this season (I hope) into next year, we will be that much further ahead of the game and my just be pretty good.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We somehow need to find a decent OC and QB. What we have right now is just plain awful. Also, it might be time to look for a MLB 'cause Lil' Animal looked lost out there today. There is no way we should have lost this contest today and someone needs to be held accountable, period!!!!!

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty spot on retro.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a serious gap at LB, besides Ogletree and maybe JL there is a serious drop off. Maybe its time for JL to move to weak side over Dunbar or we may need to draft a stud MLB. JL seems to be out of place alot, if hes not getting blocked he's beat in coverage. We need a true LB that can shed tackles and is fast enough to stretch the field. That is missing on our roster besides a QB.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope this doesn't develop into a total meltdown for the rest of the season.

That is a shitty way to lose and I wonder what Greg Z was thinking on the trip home? I mean, all we needed was a FG to tie and get to OT!!

Refs were bad, we had some bad penalties.

It was sweet to see Bailey have his coming out party and Tavon step up and make some hellacious moves on that return.

We are so dam young. Nice work Retro!

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's another 7-9 season looming, and exactly what Fisher teams are accustomed to....mediocrity. And with no high draft pick this year..........ho hum. Oh well, back to the NHL for me.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Britt catch near the end of the game changes the complexion on how we talk about this game. If that catch isnt made, Hill only has 160ish yards for the game and the national media is talking about that blown call. Instead, the blown call will likely never be mentioned or apologized for. But at least we know Hill isnt the guy.

It takes a lot to lose a game where you get a 99yd pick 6. You should have a 95% chance of winning a game with one of those because you have a 14 point swing. This is the type of games good teams steal on the road.

The problem with Hill is that he isn't a game manager and he isnt mobile. He can make some plays with his arm but this team either needs a mobile guy who can use his legs on short yardage situations or this team needs a guy who wont turn the ball over.

I dont blame the missed tackles on the players. I blame the missed tackles on scheme. The Rams pass rush should be good enough to get there on a regular basis. No need to blitz on every single down.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I feel VERY badly for the Raiders. If I know this team, they are going to be SERIOUSLY pissed off about the loss after fighting all the way back. The actual penalties that we actually made killed us. Barksdale's hands to the face and GR with the false starts.
At the end of the day, through everything, we were in a position to win this game. That is something I see differently in this team lately. Once we have a play like the scoop and score by SD in past weeks, the team would hang their heads and give up. THEY FOUGHT. FOUGHT the clock. FOUGHT the refs. FOUGHT the Chargers. There is fight in this team for the first time in at least 3 seasons. 8-8 is still doable, 9-7 could happen with an upset. With everything that has happened this year (2nd and 3rd string QB, O line injuries, secondary injuries etc) if we get .500, I consider that a great season for this young team. Do we always want to make the playoffs? Yes. But we need to crawl before we can walk. If Snead drafts a QB (Brett Hundley or Bryce Petty please and thank you) and a bookend for Robinson as well as sign a veteran interior guy, we win 10 games next year. Bank it.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with the Commish. You've articulated the important stuff and Ronde Barber in the booth yesterday stated the exact thing about the fight this team has developed through all of the shit they have had to work through encapsulated in one game yesterday.

I also see the draft working out as you presented. A very good QB for the future, a new stud RT and RG, a new center in Jones and a couple of new LBs and throw in another CB and we are doing very well. Tough as nails or even Ram Tough!!!

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe by being so so this year it will be doing us a favor!

We will draft middle of the pack, and our so called draft experts won't have to reach on a high draft pick! Maybe they will use their heads for once and draft players that we actually need, or players that fit our team!