• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Ref from the game explains why the penalty flag was reversed

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say what angle this other Ref had because he sure missed it. Once he see's the replay he will surely know his mistake.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-ref-explains-why-lions-033352068.html

FOX Morelli after the call. NFL referee Pete Morelli has explained why a pivotal penalty flag against the Dallas Cowboys was overturned in their playoff win over the Detroit Lions. There was widespread confusion and anger when what appeared to be a clear pass interference penalty on Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens with 8:25 left in the fourth quarter was reversed, even after Morelli announced it over the public address system.

No explanation was offered during the game, fueling the mystery.

After the game, Morelli said the penalty was overruled because a second official (who didn't throw the flag) with a better view felt that there wasn't enough contact to call a penalty. This official determined that Hitchens was face-guarding (which is not a penalty in the NFL), not interfering with Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew.

"The back judge threw his flag for defensive pass interference. We got other information from another official from a different angle that thought the contact was minimal and didn’t warrant pass interference," he told the pool reporter after the game. "He thought it was face-guarding."

He asked what he saw on the play, Morelli said, " It’s not my responsibility. I’m a hundred miles away."
Here's the play:

Morelli said that this second official, the heads linesman, had a better view of the play than the back judge.

Morelli also acknowledged that he messed up by making the penalty announcement before consulting with the other officials:

Reporter: What is the process you go through after you announce the call? Should you have waited before you announced the call?

Morelli: Probably, yes. The information came and then the officials got together a little bit later, after it was given to me, the first information. It would have probably been smoother if we got together.

Reporter: Do you remember this type of play happening before?

Morelli: No, not particularly.

The critical error here was announcing the penalty to the crowd and then abruptly reversing it without explanation. Fox's Mike Pereira said he couldn't remember a time where a flag was picked up so long after it was thrown. If the officials had huddled up and talked about it before making an announcement, it would have been more palatable. Instead, there was mass confusion.

The broader issue is that officiating experts agree that it was a clear penalty on Dallas. Hitchens has his hands on Pettigrew when the ball is in the air. At the very least, Morelli's team got the call wrong.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The expert says it should have been a penalty

Last edited by a moderator:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact they missed the face mask on Pettigrew just goes to show they cant get it all right all the time

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the talk about fixing, sloppy officials blowing plays and affecting outcomes of key ballgames it's time for the NFL to clean shop and get rid of part time officials. I have been saying this for a while now that the NFL has to PROTECT THE INTEGRITY of the game period. This is a NFL that grossly overpays it's commissioner by millions and millions of dollars to keep their game going in the right direction and Roger Goodell has been a freaking failure letting the players, coaches, and fans to throw up their hands and demand some justice. He steals money (what a asshole)from ballz out players who sacrifice everything to play a demanding game and only have in most cases a short career. Fines are a fucking joke with sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time being handed down. Fuck him ...Goodell should be fined everyday for the bullshit he pulls.

Anyway it's time for full time officials to be paid a handsome salary (protecting the integrity)to be there year around studying the game and being the best they can be 365 days a year. I don't want Joe Shmo banker who is having 4 drink martini lunches playing part time official. The teams are fed up and so are the fans and they better wise up fast if they want integrity to be a part of the game rolling forward. This is a multi billion dollar industry and there is no way they can cry poor.

Keep the top 25% of the officials with the stipulation they do the job full time and everyone else is gone. Get some hungry officials who will compete for the other positions taking tests on rules and such. Competition is good and the best should rise to the top.

It's time for full time officials

:suds::clap:

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the talk about fixing, sloppy officials blowing plays and affecting outcomes of key ballgames it's time for the NFL to clean shop and get rid of part time officials. I have been saying this for a while now that the NFL has to PROTECT THE INTEGRITY of the game period. This is a NFL that grossly overpays it's commissioner by millions and millions of dollars to keep their game going in the right direction and Roger Goodell has been a freaking failure letting the players, coaches, and fans to throw up their hands and demand some justice. He steals money (what a asshole)from ballz out players who sacrifice everything to play a demanding game and only have in most cases a short career. Fines are a fucking joke with sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time being handed down. Fuck him ...Goodell should be fined everyday for the bullshit he pulls.

Anyway it's time for full time officials to be paid a handsome salary (protecting the integrity)to be there year around studying the game and being the best they can be 365 days a year. I don't want Joe Shmo banker who is having 4 drink martini lunches playing part time official. The teams are fed up and so are the fans and they better wise up fast if they want integrity to be a part of the game rolling forward. This is a multi billion dollar industry and there is no way they can cry poor.

Keep the top 25% of the officials with the stipulation they do the job full time and everyone else is gone. Get some hungry officials who will compete for the other positions taking tests on rules and such. Competition is good and the best should rise to the top.

Totally agree with you. Its time!:agree::agree::agree:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you use guy's that haven't worked together all season for a effin playoff game ?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Preach brotha preach!! :10:

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say what angle this other Ref had because he sure missed it. Once he see's the replay he will surely know his mistake.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-ref-explains-why-lions-033352068.html

FOX Morelli after the call. NFL referee Pete Morelli has explained why a pivotal penalty flag against the Dallas Cowboys was overturned in their playoff win over the Detroit Lions. There was widespread confusion and anger when what appeared to be a clear pass interference penalty on Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens with 8:25 left in the fourth quarter was reversed, even after Morelli announced it over the public address system.

No explanation was offered during the game, fueling the mystery.

After the game, Morelli said the penalty was overruled because a second official (who didn't throw the flag) with a better view felt that there wasn't enough contact to call a penalty. This official determined that Hitchens was face-guarding (which is not a penalty in the NFL), not interfering with Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew.

"The back judge threw his flag for defensive pass interference. We got other information from another official from a different angle that thought the contact was minimal and didn’t warrant pass interference," he told the pool reporter after the game. "He thought it was face-guarding."

He asked what he saw on the play, Morelli said, " It’s not my responsibility. I’m a hundred miles away."
Here's the play:

Morelli said that this second official, the heads linesman, had a better view of the play than the back judge.

Morelli also acknowledged that he messed up by making the penalty announcement before consulting with the other officials:

Reporter: What is the process you go through after you announce the call? Should you have waited before you announced the call?

Morelli: Probably, yes. The information came and then the officials got together a little bit later, after it was given to me, the first information. It would have probably been smoother if we got together.

Reporter: Do you remember this type of play happening before?

Morelli: No, not particularly.

The critical error here was announcing the penalty to the crowd and then abruptly reversing it without explanation. Fox's Mike Pereira said he couldn't remember a time where a flag was picked up so long after it was thrown. If the officials had huddled up and talked about it before making an announcement, it would have been more palatable. Instead, there was mass confusion.

The broader issue is that officiating experts agree that it was a clear penalty on Dallas. Hitchens has his hands on Pettigrew when the ball is in the air. At the very least, Morelli's team got the call wrong.

So here's the problem with this. You can have three or four officials around the line of scrimmage observing the play and not throw a flag. But if one guy who is 20 yards out throws a flag for holding when the other three or four clearly had a better view, the call is pretty much never overturned or even discussed. Why did they make a point to get the opinion of several different officials on this call when generally if one guy throws a flag they just ask him what he saw and then announce the penalty?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Keep the top 25% of the officials? You mean like the handpicked "all star" crews of mixed and matched officials for playoff games?

I mean I actually agree with you completely, but let's not act like it's going to solve world hunger or anything. It wouldn't have even had an impact on today's calls.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep the top 25% of the officials? You mean like the handpicked "all star" crews of mixed and matched officials for playoff games?

I mean I actually agree with you completely, but let's not act like it's going to solve world hunger or anything. It wouldn't have even had an impact on today's calls.

Having year around officials might of prevented that call. The top 25% are not guaranteed jobs .They may be given a little more rope but they also will be graded closely in the competition for jobs. They will also need to prove themselves at a high level or they will be cut like a player is cut in pre season. This should weed out the really serious officials who want the gig and for the guys who are afraid to compete or just not enough into the job it will be bye bye. Also crews should stay together for the playoffs and when you start going 365 days a year the quality should be high enough to rotate crews with confidence.

The only problem with all of this is the officials union and I don't know what their deal is with the NFL. It could be one big mess there. Who knows. Something has to be done that's for sure.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simply time for EVERY call to be eligible for a coaches challenge.

The argument seems to have been that some calls are judgement calls......aren't they all judgement calls?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL referees don't want to be full time employees of the NFL. This was part of reasons that led to the referee work stoppage. The NFL wants their referees to be full time employees. However, most of these officials already have full time well paying jobs in other career fields & likely will never agree to any change in the status quo. The NFL & the NFLRA bargained over this & eventually the NFL backed down to get their referees back on the field & the replacements off the field.