• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An explanation of the calls by the refs in the Packer/Lion's game

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only issue with this is they already review DPI and get it wrong. More reviews to just ignore a penalty will only incite fans more
I don't think so. I think it would mostly be used to overturn poor calls.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. I think it would mostly be used to overturn poor calls.
im all for getting them right in the end. Officials have gotten progressible worse year to year.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any questionable call that extends an otherwise stalled drive should be reviewable.

I've seen more failed 3rd and longs rewarded with ticky tack penalties resulting in a first down this season than ever before.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im all for getting them right in the end. Officials have gotten progressible worse year to year.
I just think that if you can plainly see that the call was wrong via the TV, a person should have the ability to call down to the ref and save them from a wrong call. No extra time needed. I think 80% of the time, we are shown that the call was wrong before the ref is done accessing the penalty yardage.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any questionable call that extends an otherwise stalled drive should be reviewable.

I've seen more failed 3rd and longs rewarded with ticky tack penalties resulting in a first down this season than ever before.

There is no such thing as a ticky tack penalty. It's either a penalty or it isn't and it's either called or it isn't.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, more like when Grayson Allen clearly traveled when there was no contact.

Yep, that's right, I guess no contact is more like Kyle Guy getting undercut throwing up a prayer from three so he can shoot free throws.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if they made all the linemen wear fingerless gloves. Kind of like boxing gloves but smaller? That would eliminate most holding penalties, Hands to the face, etc.

I’m obviously joking, but :scratch:

How about mittens?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this in another, perhaps the wrong thread but honestly WTF people. The hands were to the face, the head was rocked back it's a penalty plain and simple. And taking the "You don't make that call in that situation" approach is asinine. If it's a penalty you make the call.

Hands were to the jersey/shoulder pads. No contact to the face or helmet. Lineman threw his head back, faking out the umpire.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 'fail mary' explanation had more logic/reasoning and validity to it than the abomination of officiating that we saw last night.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about mittens?

Now we're talkin...

61suIBePBtL._SR500,500_.jpg

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just have every play as challengeable.
So long as you have a timeout, you can make a challenge.
Win the challenge and you get your timeout back.

One potential drawback is if a defense tries to challenge something in order to get their players rest as they try to protect a lead.

Wouldn't mind having an eye in the sky that constantly updates refs on where the ball should be spotted, etc. In my mind, ball spots near the first down marker should be reviewed automatically. If they have to bring the chains out to measure, might as well used that time to review the play to ensure the ball was spotted correctly.
I wish they'd go back to the old way of replay. No coaches challenges. Just a replay ref who would buzz the onfield ref if something needed to be looked at.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hands were to the jersey/shoulder pads. No contact to the face or helmet. Lineman threw his head back, faking out the umpire.
Wrong, won't argue it with you. Have a nice day.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 'fail mary' explanation had more logic/reasoning and validity to it than the abomination of officiating that we saw last night.
No doubt awful calls but to be fair the game officials don't get to call the game standing in the pocket 1-2 feet from the player(s). The guy who made the call was probably 30-40 feet away, looking at a dozen or so players. Saw the defenders hand near his face and the head snap back. Not crazy to figure hands to face.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt awful calls but to be fair the game officials don't get to call the game standing in the pocket 1-2 feet from the player(s). The guy who made the call was 30-40 feet away, looking at a dozen or so players. Saw the defenders hand near his face and the head snap back. Not crazy to figure hands to face.

Which is 100% WHY we need to remove calls from guys on the field. I've been saying this for YEARS. The game moves WAY too fast and there's too many players on the field for 8 guys to call it. We as fans can CLEARLY see everything happening with the HD/slow motion that is happening today. Why the F we're letting guys call it with lackluster info/views on the field is beyond me. Same reason I can't take the MLB seriously until they use a computer to calls balls/strikes. The technology is there and even if the computer is only accurate 99%+ (which I've heard) of the time, it's far more accurate than a fatass umpire and at least not biased.

End of day the officiating is no worse than it was 20 let alone 40 years ago. The big difference is everyone can now see everything clear as day on their 4K television with an HD camera broadcasted.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s because the media wants to see a Pack team do well.
Haven't there been many calls against Clay Matthews for roughing that were questionable? do they forget the "Pack do well" edict on those?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And in soccer, a player can be given a yellow card for embellishment although they don't do nearly enough when players go down like their ankle has been cleaved in two....

The dark arts are in every sport. From flopping in basketball to pitch framing in baseball. If a lineman can process what's going on that quickly and risk the DL getting home and crushing his QB, then so be it. A simple replay could have found that there was no penalty.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is 100% WHY we need to remove calls from guys on the field. I've been saying this for YEARS. The game moves WAY too fast and there's too many players on the field for 8 guys to call it. We as fans can CLEARLY see everything happening with the HD/slow motion that is happening today. Why the F we're letting guys call it with lackluster info/views on the field is beyond me. Same reason I can't take the MLB seriously until they use a computer to calls balls/strikes. The technology is there and even if the computer is only accurate 99%+ (which I've heard) of the time, it's far more accurate than a fatass umpire and at least not biased.

End of day the officiating is no worse than it was 20 let alone 40 years ago. The big difference is everyone can now see everything clear as day on their 4K television with an HD camera broadcasted.
Another option I know will never happen but at this point it might not bother me. No more replays of questionable calls....ever. Not on TV, in the stadium, etc. would at least curb the complaining. Sure, might miss calls but we'd never know.