• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith arrested again

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mortensen:

"Sources say that there's been a consensus reached that Smith needs treatment for his substance abuse issues after being arrested Friday morning. But the 49ers agree that he first get through this weekend active as a player."

"League officials confirm that under the CBA and the NFL Substance Abuse Policy the 49ers could not suspend Smith, taking him off the field for today's game, and deactivating him under the CBA's Conduct detrimental to the Club" clause is now under question. Goodell can not suspend Smith (for this game) because the case has yet to be adjudicated.

But the 49ers can deactivate him for conduct detrimental to the team. They won't though, they want to win.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But the 49ers can deactivate him for conduct detrimental to the team. They won't though, they want to win.

Not at this point, according to Mort. That matter is being discussed with the NFL right now.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

And the union will challenge it, and the union will win. Why bother risking discipline that will get overturned when legal discipline is coming?

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Seriously. Look at what you just quoted in bold. It states that option is being explored, although unlikely to be allowed. Yet in your fantasy world it is absolutely a viable option, unequivocally. Dude, use one of those two brain cells and think before you say something stupid like that. It's bad enough reading your Debbie Downer attitude all the time.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the union will challenge it, and the union will win. Why bother risking discipline that will get overturned when legal discipline is coming?

Why do you think they would win? Isn't being drunk and late for practice detrimental to the team?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why do you think they would win? Isn't being drunk and late for practice detrimental to the team?

I'm taking the word of the NFL that it is likely not an option. I'm going to trust that the guys who cover the league, and have sources within the league have
a) a better understanding of the CBA than you do, and
b) sources with a better understanding of the CBA than you.

Based on that, I'm trusting the reports coming from NFL people over your theory.

As for why I think the NFLPA would win, because they can probably quite easily argue that if it weren't for the accident Aldon wouldn't have been suspended for conduct detrimental. All it would take is for Aldon to cite one other instance where he showed up to practice after a night of drinking and was not suspended.

The team would also likely have to answer how they check the BAC of all players before practice if showing up to practice under the influence is considered conduct detrimental.

Also, after the Niners were aware of the accident and Smith's condition they still allowed him to practice. Apparently it wasn't that detrimental to the team.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm taking the word of the NFL that it is likely not an option. I'm going to trust that the guys who cover the league, and have sources within the league have
a) a better understanding of the CBA than you do, and
b) sources with a better understanding of the CBA than you.

Based on that, I'm trusting the reports coming from NFL people over your theory.

As for why I think the NFLPA would win, because they can probably quite easily argue that if it weren't for the accident Aldon wouldn't have been suspended for conduct detrimental. All it would take is for Aldon to cite one other instance where he showed up to practice after a night of drinking and was not suspended.

The team would also likely have to answer how they check the BAC of all players before practice if showing up to practice under the influence is considered conduct detrimental.

Also, after the Niners were aware of the accident and Smith's condition they still allowed him to practice. Apparently it wasn't that detrimental to the team.

Then shame on them.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Then shame on them.

Yes, shame on them for doing the job of a union. He will be suspended. There are rules in place that dictate how it will happen. Shame on the NFLPA for insisting those rules be followed.

And while we're at it, shame on defense attorneys all around the world for having the gall to defend those accused of crimes.

FUCK DUE PROCESS and those that believe it has a place in a civilized society.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, shame on them for doing the job of a union. He will be suspended. There are rules in place that dictate how it will happen. Shame on the NFLPA for insisting those rules be followed.

And while we're at it, shame on defense attorneys all around the world for having the gall to defend those accused of crimes.

FUCK DUE PROCESS and those that believe it has a place in a civilized society.

Wrong. A union's job is to look out for the best interests of its constituents. Enabling him to continue to do these things is not in the best interest of the player.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wrong. A union's job is to look out for the best interests of its constituents. Enabling him to continue to do these things is not in the best interest of the player.

They aren't enabling him to do anything. He will be punished according the process outlined in the CBA, that the league and the union agreed to.

If the union allowed the Niners to discipline him, violating the COLLECTIVELY BARGAINED agreement that would not be in the best interest of its memberS. If they allow an individual team to discipline in away that goes beyond the reach defined in the CBA, that establishes a precedent that each team can then abuse.

You're right. A union's job is to look out for the best interests of its constituents. But it's plural, as in more than one. The NFLPA's job is not to look out for the best interests of Aldon Smith. Any action they do or don't take here will establish precedent for teams dealing with their members in the future.

And allowing the Niners to suspend Aldon is not in the best interests of the player. The union, in looking out for its member, should be helping him find help. Not allowing his team to discipline however you see fit and allowing him to be railroaded in ways that violate the CBA.

Unless you can convince me that its in the best interests of Aldon Smith to be suspended by the 49ers. I think most would agree its in the best interests of Aldon Smith to get some sort of help. Isn't that what the union should be doing for him?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMAC, Chris? Where you at?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's not. He shouldn't be out partying mid-week at 7 in the morning a few days after a nationally televised blowout. Ridiculous. Sometimes I think we care more about winning/losing than the actual players.

Maybe. I'm a 9ers fan. I care about the 9ers winning. I'm not a fan of individual players. I don't care if they're too stupid to take care of their natural abilities, except when it impacts the W/L column.

Sorry, I don't watch football because I care about guys who have been coddled their entire lives because they are athletically talented. I care that their athletic abilities generate wins. When they prove to be morons off the field, I really couldn't care less about them as people. Maybe that makes me a bad person.

I don't care if it does.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. I'm a 9ers fan. I care about the 9ers winning. I'm not a fan of individual players. I don't care if they're too stupid to take care of their natural abilities, except when it impacts the W/L column.
Sorry, I don't watch football because I care about guys who have been coddled their entire lives because they are athletically talented. I care that their athletic abilities generate wins. When they prove to be morons off the field, I really couldn't care less about them as people. Maybe that makes me a bad person.

I don't care if it does.

Bravo! I 100% agree.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Is it that hard to want a young man to turn his life around? I care about W/L to, but hope #99 gets his life under control. & quit letting the alcohol control it. But it dnt make u need& TT WR's wrong @ all.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IMAC, Chris? Where you at?

Sorry, missed this. He isn't suspended. He's been put on the Non-football Injury list. They are acknowledging that his alcoholism is a problem and working with him to "fix" it.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if my barber styled my hair like aldon's, i'd drink too