• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FyLbbAoWcAEDoPo

laughingsmiley.gif

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can afford him for this year.

Next year Mixon ($12 million), Boyd ($10 mill), Williams ($13 mill) , maybe Awuzie ($7 mill) (although I hope not), potentially Reader ($15 million) will all be gone and coming off the books. That is where you are getting Chase money. I can see us potentially going after a younger DT coming off his rookie deal like Reader and giving him a 4 to 5 year deal just like Reader.

Burrow
Chase
Higgins
Wilson

That is where a bulk of our money is going.
I think Reader becomes one of the few with a 3rd contract...the position is a premium, and there aren't too many guys out there like him.

That being said - I wouldn't be shocked if they worked through the draft waiting to see if they could get someone like Corleone from UC - kid is a Reader clone and is a destroyer of worlds.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Reader becomes one of the few with a 3rd contract...the position is a premium, and there aren't too many guys out there like him.

That being said - I wouldn't be shocked if they worked through the draft waiting to see if they could get someone like Corleone from UC - kid is a Reader clone and is a destroyer of worlds.
He is just getting to the age where guys start going downhill. Usually the third contract for some of these guys don't end well. He had been hurt several times. He is going to cost a fortune. I just think the Bengals have done a nice job lately identifying second contract guys who are primed to break out. I think when they sink the money back in, it will be for this type of player.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is just getting to the age where guys start going downhill. Usually the third contract for some of these guys don't end well. He had been hurt several times. He is going to cost a fortune. I just think the Bengals have done a nice job lately identifying second contract guys who are primed to break out. I think when they sink the money back in, it will be for this type of player.
I don't disagree with the overall sentiment, but not every position/age declines the same. I think the 28-30 mark is more for skill guys like CB, WR, RB and even LB...when you get to QB, OL, DL (DT specifically) I think there is a lot more latitude with how skills decline.

I think Reader can be an impact guy for another 2-3 years. If they pay him on a similar friendly team deal (kind of like Pratt) I see him getting this done. If he's wanting a "final" contract to end his career and make money off before he rides off - it'll be somewhere else, but I think regardless he can be productive and help lead a defense for a few more years.

So, while I do agree with the current approach as a whole, avoid 3rd contracts and guys contracted into their 30-some years, I don't think every case is wrapped up into one big decision - there are going to be some outliers - and assuming that is the case, I would put money on Reader being an outlier case.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think things are finished with Mixon. I suspect the team will come to him before training camp with an offer to reduce his cap-hit which will effectively mean a pay cut. The Bengals are in good position for this sort of stand-off because there are likely going to be multiple veteran running backs without deals on the market. Given Mixon's recent issues, potentially declining abilities, inability to block in the passing game, and large salary, I don't think he will find a more favorable situation than a reduced salary here. We'll see.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think things are finished with Mixon. I suspect the team will come to him before training camp with an offer to reduce his cap-hit which will effectively mean a pay cut. The Bengals are in good position for this sort of stand-off because there are likely going to be multiple veteran running backs without deals on the market. Given Mixon's recent issues, potentially declining abilities, inability to block in the passing game, and large salary, I don't think he will find a more favorable situation than a reduced salary here. We'll see.
Agreed - should the Bengals decide to go this route, they have all the leverage.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger can't change its stripes

1i8a0245429b1.jpg

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, I had some exciting, breaking news if you will, concerning "Camp Chaney" and our celebrity guest/camper slated for the next 2 weeks, but you know what? I don't think I'm going to share that with you at this time due to the offensive nature of the last 2 posts in this thread. You'll just have to read about it when I return.
Out like Kraut,
Junith

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger can't change its stripes

1i8a0245429b1.jpg
This is so stupid.... If you want to discuss the many player the Bengals had with arrest records from 2003-2010, I'm sure any of us would be glad to participate. Odell Thurman, Chris Henry, PacMan, a bunch of random dudes. Marvin loved playing Father Flannigan. If you had talent but you dropped in the draft due to character concerns, the Bengals were happy to have you.

To my knowledge, the only current Bengal with anything going on off the field is Joe Mixon - One of about three guys left from the Marvin era of drafting. And honestly, before the two charges popped up this winter, his record in Cincinnati was squeaky clean.

So yes... The Bengals used to be the poster children for bad behavior. And if you go far enough back in your analysis (2000), it will still look that way. I guess it's sort of like saying that the Steelers are one of the best teams in football because they are near the top in postseason wins since 2000. That's totally true - Doesn't mean it says much about the group of guys that have been there the past 5 or 6 years.