• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st round RB's are not worth it. The value at this position has plummeted unless there is a sure-fire stud - and there's not.

They have CBT and Awuzie returns next year. I agree they need another DB, but it doesn't need to be a 1st rounder.

I'd go for Mayer from ND - but I don't see him dropping.

I have seen quite a few OT's drop in some mocks as well as edge guys - never have enough guys along the lines...and this defense could use another pure rush guy opposite of Hendrickson on some downs or in relief - his injury really affected his numbers/pressure rate - and I think you saw that at KC against a solid OL.
Yes, I'm getting excited about one of the OT prospects dropping. I don't think Mayer makes it to us.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These mock drafts of the Bengals taking a TE first needs to be burned to the ground. If it's not a CB or a banger-style RB, not interested.
We are not drafting a RB in the first round. We will be lucky to draft one by the 3rd round.

I saw a mock draft had us taking:

#28 Michael Mayer, TE from Notre Dame
#60 Kelee Ringo, CB from Georgia

If that would happen, that would be a winner. I don't see Mayer dropping that far but if he did, I would not be opposed to it if you are getting a quality CB in round #2.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are not drafting a RB in the first round. We will be lucky to draft one by the 3rd round.

If that would happen, that would be a winner. I don't see Mayer dropping that far but if he did, I would not be opposed to it if you are getting a quality CB in round #2.
That would be a great draft considering Mayer has been slotted in most mocks top 15 and Ringo toward the end of round 1.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a great draft considering Mayer has been slotted in most mocks top 15 and Ringo toward the end of round 1.
Yeah, I felt it was a pretty poor mock draft because I don't think it is realistic. It was Matt Miller from ESPN that mocked that in his 2 round mock. However, I think positions are reasonable with those picks.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
user generated
No wonder it was shot down :D

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st round RB's are not worth it. The value at this position has plummeted unless there is a sure-fire stud - and there's not.

They have CBT and Awuzie returns next year. I agree they need another DB, but it doesn't need to be a 1st rounder.

I'd go for Mayer from ND - but I don't see him dropping.

I have seen quite a few OT's drop in some mocks as well as edge guys - never have enough guys along the lines...and this defense could use another pure rush guy opposite of Hendrickson on some downs or in relief - his injury really affected his numbers/pressure rate - and I think you saw that at KC against a solid OL.

I wholehardily disagree. Just like people thought they should've drated a OL instead of Chase. The team is good enough to risk a gamble / luxury pick.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Tyjae Spears is available, idc, you gotta take him. I never felt sure about a player in a long time. If it doesn't work out, fine. Bash and flame the team until your hearts content. But this kid is good. Real good.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wholehardily disagree. Just like people thought they should've drated a OL instead of Chase. The team is good enough to risk a gamble / luxury pick.
Your offensive line needs major attention.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the skill players and RB with Williams and Evans has to be lower priority. Give Burrow some time to throw the ball to Chase and Higgins and we will be just fine. Offensive line has to be a priority, but I am also thinking CB with Awuzie coming off injury, Bates, Bell, Apple, Flowers all being free agents.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Tyjae Spears is available, idc, you gotta take him. I never felt sure about a player in a long time. If it doesn't work out, fine. Bash and flame the team until your hearts content. But this kid is good. Real good.
Tyjae Spears is the #159 ranked prospect in the draft. He may be there in the 4th/5th round. I mean there are 10 other RB's ranked higher. I am not saying you are wrong, because he does look like a good player, but depending on where you are taking him it would appear a reach before seeing what he can do on an NFL field.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First TLDR - I disagree - this team has more holes than some may think, and is not in a place to draft for luxury/gamble especially considering the mega contracts about to go out to Burrow, Chase and maybe Higgins and the amount of contracts that will be up after 23 and especially '24 at some very key positions.

Now, my long winded version for those who care to read War and Peace, part 2:

The debate between the OL/Chase at 4 - that's really not the same thing, though, as debating taking a RB in round 1 at 28 (or in round 1 in general). Top tier OL and WR are, for the most part, premium positions. RB is no longer a premium position. Also, drafting a 3rd WR, when knowing Boyd is getting up there in years, and having a 3 wide attack with Burrow isn't exactly a poor argument when talking about taking a, potential, stud OL to also protect Burrow. Again, these positions are considered premier - RB, not so much.

Secondly, and really most importantly - I 100% disagree that this team is good enough to gamble/luxury pick. Are they in the Super Bowl? Did they win a Super Bowl? No? Then they are not good enough. Now, obviously that's a bit rigid and hyperbolic - but the fact is - this team has quite a few holes that have been masked very well by having Burrow at QB (OL actually didn't protect better, Burrow increased his release rate to an elite level this year against the rush) and masked by some really good defensive coaching from Lou (if this dude gets the Arz job, that is going to be the biggest off-season blow to the Bengals - more than any player leaving, IMO. The guy is a defensive wizard, but I digress...). I think that played out, as well, with how many close games, stalled drives, and even close losses this team had against teams they should have been not struggling as they did to move the ball, even a little better, or either beating a team more handedly, or simply not lost to.

With the contract for Burrow/Higgins on the front radar for this year, F/A is likely to be rather thin - meaning they will need to replace guys they lose through the draft. DB needs more depth. DE needs more rush depth. OL, TE, LB - all lose key guys, or have key guys coming off injury, or need upgrade. This year alone they are set to lose Bates, Bell, Hurst, Apple, Flowers, and Pratt. All of those guys play key roles, and only Bates has his replacement already on the roster in Hill...which is exactly how this team may need to approach this draft with: with an eye on next year as well. But key depth pieces will be needed, and another pure pass-rush guy is sorely needed.

That's not including having to potentially replace RT (Collins is a cut candidate, IMO - but Adeniji is also due for a contract and is he good enough to be the guy - because if not, you need a RT. Same on the LT - Williams is up after this year, and isn't very good. If Carman isn't the answer, and who knows if he is, then you also need a LT), as well as the need to find depth along the OL if you do use Carman and Adeniji as starters, Prince was signed off the squad, and Scharping I believe is a F/A - so your top 4 backup OL are now no longer backups and need to be replaced at a quality level, as we saw the need in the playoffs this year for that kind of depth.

Next year F/A contracts hit the Bengals HARD: Reader is up. Wilson is up. Higgins is up. Boyd is up. Awuzie is up. Tupou is up. Hendrickson is up. In 2024 - the Bengals are set to have a BIG time re-set of the roster - and you can't wait till that year to start planning for some of those guys moving on. Again, with facing a contract for Chase in this offseason, and/or Higgins if they can't come to terms in '23, how much will be available for F/A replacements? Hard to tell. The draft allows them to get ahead of the curve by getting guys in places they know they may need to replace, and allow them a year of "on the job" training so they are ready to step in and start if needed.

Now, some of those guys may get extended this year, and I'm sure others will work out deals next year - but with Burrow, Higgins, and Chase all due for MASSIVE raises - if you are going to try and retain those guys - something has to give in the way of salary - and that means using more of the draft to replace guys in other positions rather than signing high(er) level F/A.

So - no - I don' think this team is anywhere near being in a place where they can gamble/luxury pick at a position that you can draft very similar value in later rounds, and I fully believe this is how teams start to decline in the draft when they stop looking at the bigger picture and get uber focused on just a small window. There are quite a few holes, and future needs, that will need to be considered heavily before anyone could ever think of taking a "luxury" pick.

Besides, upgrading at RB without upgrading at OL is like putting brand new tires and rims on a piece of crap car from the junk yard - no matter how nice it may look - it ain't gonna run.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen a ton of Spears watching UC games - he's really good. He's not a 1st round guy, though...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyjae Spears is the #159 ranked prospect in the draft. He may be there in the 4th/5th round. I mean there are 10 other RB's ranked higher. I am not saying you are wrong, because he does look like a good player, but depending on where you are taking him it would appear a reach before seeing what he can do on an NFL field.
Agreed. He's a guy I would 100% look at later in the draft, but he's not a day 1 or really even a day 2 guy...maybe late in the 3rd depending on what else is there.

Bengals still have Mixon (for better or worse) so this really isn't a "need", and as you said, they still have Williams and Evans, both who have shown some solid flashes in the game.

Also couldn't agree more about prioritizing OL (as well as other positions). At the end of the day, you can take an average RB and make him look really good if you upgrade the OL...and conversely, you can take a pretty good RB and make him look like crap with a bad OL....considering the Bengals also need to keep Burrow upright and stop getting hit so much - OL needs to be a clear focus. If someone in round 1 were to drop to them....Broderick Jones for example - I think it would be down right criminal if they passed on a guy like this for a freaking RB....

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did they move the AFCN Hate Guide to?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does everyone stand on Todd Monken to Baltimore? Good for Lamar? Bad?