• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a idea. Leave my nut sack alone iffy. Stop waiting to post right after me. Get a life. Stop being a loser. Stop hanging on my nuts. You are a weirdo

I understand....you are comfortable here where your silly posts are accepted and little is expected of you as far as knowledge of baseball. I guess it is not a bad thing to know your place and be comfortable in it.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody is valuing Cam Maybin a little more than I do. (A lot more than Big Al does.)

I see the Angels battling the As and Padres for worst team in California.

Detroit = 83 wins. Detroit won 86 games last year. The only major move they have made this winter is to dump Maybin. All else being equal, I would expect (at least) a two game drop in wins considering his 2.0 WAR. However....adding in what could be negative WAR by his replacement(s)....I could see a further decline in Detroit wins, closer to being a .500 club.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit = 83 wins. Detroit won 86 games last year. The only major move they have made this winter is to dump Maybin. All else being equal, I would expect (at least) a two game drop in wins considering his 2.0 WAR. However....adding in what could be negative WAR by his replacement(s)....I could see a further decline in Detroit wins, closer to being a .500 club.
Egh.

If that really is it, before the deadline anyway, that's not the worst cost savings move.
Maybin was a big part of being over .500. The offense was definitely better with him in it, raking singles like a mad man. Not expecting him to meet that production this year. Even if it'd been Detroit.

They need a left hand hitting centerfielder. One that isn't done with Lloyd.

And they need over 400 innings from Boyd, Norris and Fulmer. Any less than that and Sanchez or Pelfrey might qualify as a starter. And that WAR couldn't be pretty.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Egh.

If that really is it, before the deadline anyway, that's not the worst cost savings move.
Maybin was a big part of being over .500. The offense was definitely better with him in it, raking singles like a mad man. Not expecting him to meet that production this year. Even if it'd been Detroit.

They need a left hand hitting centerfielder. One that isn't done with Lloyd.

And they need over 400 innings from Boyd, Norris and Fulmer. Any less than that and Sanchez or Pelfrey might qualify as a starter. And that WAR couldn't be pretty.

I'm guessing Detroit goes into spring training with the riff-raff it has for centerfielders but keeps an eye on the waiver wire for someone else - or for an outfielder being squeezed out of his starting spot on some other team that they could trade for.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can still see them grabbing one of the Wild Cards. But yeah, it is disappointing in that they haven't done anything to move the needle. Steamer projections have the Angels/Mariners/Jays tied at 84-78 and taking two of the Wild Cards, with Detroit just behind at 83-79 with the Rangers. Those projections are conservative of course.

Whatever the Tigers have now seems to be what we get for 2017. A lot of big salaries come off the books in 2018, and Al Avila has vowed that the team will be under the luxury tax threshold ($197 million) by then. That means no big dollar, long-term signings. I could still see J.D. Martinez being traded before opening day to a team desperate for a middle-of-the-order bat and maybe getting bullpen help and a fringe outfielder in return. But that's about it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing Detroit goes into spring training with the riff-raff it has for centerfielders but keeps an eye on the waiver wire for someone else - or for an outfielder being squeezed out of his starting spot on some other team that they could trade for.
It's not a horrible strategy.

Guy that can hit .260 versus righties and can field the position. Any power is an upgrade. The OBP is going to take a big dip from CF no matter what happens.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever the Tigers have now seems to be what we get for 2017. A lot of big salaries come off the books in 2018, and Al Avila has vowed that the team will be under the luxury tax threshold ($197 million) by then. That means no big dollar, long-term signings. I could still see J.D. Martinez being traded before opening day to a team desperate for a middle-of-the-order bat and maybe getting bullpen help and a fringe outfielder in return. But that's about it.
I hope JD isn't a money casualty during the season.

But Id take deadline over ST.

But it's not my money, easy for me to say.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody is valuing Cam Maybin a little more than I do. (A lot more than Big Al does.)

As good as he was when he played last year, Maybin missed almost 70 games. He hit .315, by far the best of his career, in a small sample (92 games). A drop back down to earth is likely in store.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope JD isn't a money casualty during the season.

But Id take deadline over ST.

But it's not my money, easy for me to say.

I too think a deadline deal is more likely. Contending teams are more willing to part with higher-level prospects in July than they are in March (when they DON'T KNOW if they are going to contend).

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too think a deadline deal is more likely. Contending teams are more willing to part with higher-level prospects in July than they are in March (when they DON'T KNOW if they are going to contend).
JD could be a difference maker for a lot of teams by then.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. CF for tigers is most important question ...all depends on it. So says a,nut licker