• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelfrey is looking like a major mistake by Detroit. Numbers are awful. WHIP 2.09 Twenty five innings pitched and 15 walks. ERA of 6.75. And Detroit paid for two years of that?
Normally, I'm going to let us go our separate ways, but seeing that you did use statistics (!), I will point out something you mentioned: 25 IP. But Pelfrey is a bad pitcher. At best, he can be league average (93 FIP- in 200.2 IP in 2008, where 100 is league average, and 99 is a 1% better FIP than league average, and a 101 is 1% worse), but that was eight years ago. Eight years ago, George Bush was still president, gas was around 5 bucks a gallon, Roger Clemens was still pitching in MLB, and Roy Halladay, Johan Santana, and Roy Oswalt were the best pitchers in baseball. He's been hurt and/or league average at best over the past 5 years. Still, at 8 million dollars, it's not an awful idea to see if he can turn things around, especially with their lack of depth and Verlander's injury history. It just hasn't worked out thus far

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally, I'm going to let us go our separate ways, but seeing that you did use statistics (!), I will point out something you mentioned: 25 IP. But Pelfrey is a bad pitcher. At best, he can be league average (93 FIP- in 200.2 IP in 2008, where 100 is league average, and 99 is a 1% better FIP than league average, and a 101 is 1% worse), but that was eight years ago. Eight years ago, George Bush was still president, gas was around 5 bucks a gallon, Roger Clemens was still pitching in MLB, and Roy Halladay, Johan Santana, and Roy Oswalt were the best pitchers in baseball. He's been hurt and/or league average at best over the past 5 years. Still, at 8 million dollars, it's not an awful idea to see if he can turn things around, especially with their lack of depth and Verlander's injury history. It just hasn't worked out thus far

(And Sanchez' injury history.) Pelfrey does not really deserve more chances, but considering that Detroit does not have any sure-fire replacements...and the $16mil they stupidly invested in him....I am sure that Pelfrey will get a few more chances to see if he has anything to offer. He might move to mop-up duty for awhile, but I'd bet money that Ausmus will eventually get a call from the front office to give Pelfrey another chance or two, as soon as one of the youngsters stumbles or somebody gets a sore arm.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might move to mop-up duty for awhile, but I'd bet money that Ausmus will eventually get a call from the front office to give Pelfrey another chance or two, as soon as one of the youngsters stumbles of somebody gets a sore arm.

Quoted from CBSsports:

Ausmus said he had no reason to think Pelfrey, who signed a $16 million contract in the offseason, wouldn't make his next scheduled start.

''Contract doesn't have anything to do with the decision I make. I don't make a lineup out because a guy makes money,'' Ausmus said.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your use of the FIP stat here doesn't apply. One more instance where you completely failed.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quoted from CBSsports:

Ausmus said he had no reason to think Pelfrey, who signed a $16 million contract in the offseason, wouldn't make his next scheduled start.

''Contract doesn't have anything to do with the decision I make. I don't make a lineup out because a guy makes money,'' Ausmus said.
Did Ausmus go on to say how his replacement is in Toledo? And how he'd like to keep him there?

When he does go, I hope Avila doesn't make it past the executioner either. But he will.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of bats in the pelfrey..... inning that is

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SlinkyRedfoot If Howie or by some odd or random chance Doug declines, I'm in.

Yo, dude!

I never heard from Howie, and Doug has absolutely no heart, so that means you're up for this week's series avi bet.

Now, full disclosure: the Indians have been losing series like it's their fucking jobs and I've had/will have a pretty rigorous travel schedule and when I'm traveling, I hardly post at all, so I've been giving guys who won an avi bet against me a few extra days so they get their dollar's worth. So, I'm backed up with other folks' avis for a bit.

This is embarrassing, but should you win the bet, I can't sport your avi until May 21st. If that's still cool with you, we're on!

I fucking hope the Indians learn to win a fucking series pretty soon. . .

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your use of the FIP stat here doesn't apply. One more instance where you completely failed.

Don't mess with him, because he's a super-duper dangerous gangster, constantly on the run from the cops, who's also going to college, is two hundred pounds over weight and is really into advanced baseball stats even if he doesn't understand how to use them.

That all adds up, right?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mess with him, because he's a super-duper dangerous gangster, constantly on the run from the cops, who's also going to college, is two hundred pounds over weight and is really into advanced baseball stats even if he doesn't understand how to use them.

That all adds up, right?
Never said I was a gangster, nor was I ever on the run from the cops. I am overweight, I am in college, and I have a basic, if not advanced, understanding of baseball statistics.:thumb:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have ignored Handjob, but I looked at his post. Can you, Slinky, please explain how I misused FIP? Is FIP not a measure of how good a pitcher is; stripping out defense, luck, and sequence? Please enlighten me with your vast and superior knowledge and handling of statistics, Slinky

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said I was a gangster, nor was I ever on the run from the cops. I am overweight, I am in college, and I have a basic, if not advanced, understanding of baseball statistics.:thumb:

Tell me more about zone ratings for folks who played in the twenties!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, when you don't have any other significant defensive ratings to go by, you use TZ with a huge grain of salt. Or you'd rather use fielding percentage I guess.

Tell me more about how I misused FIP!

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have ignored Handjob, but I looked at his post. Can you, Slinky, please explain how I misused FIP? Is FIP not a measure of how good a pitcher is; stripping out defense, luck, and sequence? Please enlighten me with your vast and superior knowledge and handling of statistics, Slinky

That's a nice campsite he's set up in your head. I see him right over there; he's rolling out the Weber Kettle Grill to cook some ribeyes.

If my eyes aren't deceiving me, I think he's even got some s'mores for later.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"TZ and TZL are both good metrics, although UZR and DRS are still considered the more accurate fielding metrics. However, UZR and DRS can only be calculated for modern-day players due to technology constraints, so TZ is the best historical fielding statistic available. If you want to compare a modern day player’s fielding with a player from the 1940s, TZ would be the statistic to use."

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a nice campsite he's set up in your head. I see him right over there; he's rolling out the Weber Kettle Grill to cook some ribeyes.

If my eyes aren't deceiving me, I think he's even got some s'mores for later.
And I'm not funny...

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"TZ and TZL are both good metrics, although UZR and DRS are still considered the more accurate fielding metrics. However, UZR and DRS can only be calculated for modern-day players due to technology constraints, so TZ is the best historical fielding statistic available. If you want to compare a modern day player’s fielding with a player from the 1940s, TZ would be the statistic to use."

Good luck with that.

giphy.gif