• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vice....you can go now. Howie is here and can discuss things in a more mature manner.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair points, though I would caution putting too much into what you acknowledge is a small sample. Gomes threw out 41% in a relatively similar small sample in 2013.

Gomes threw out 20 of 49 (41%) in 2013. McCann threw out 28 of 69 (also 41%) in 2015. But I agree, it is still a small sample. Part of my assessment is also the eyeball test, because I get to watch McCann play. By all measures, he appears to be a defensive stud at the position.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get what you can from a catcher as they don't have the longest lifespan... unless of course they roid like pudge. Yan Gomes best years are behind him... Knee issues for a catcher aren't a good thing...

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vice
So, the Tribe's rotation along with Brantley, Lindor, and Kipnis are enough to win the AL Central. Seeing as how the rest of the team (outfield, Gomes, Uribe, Chisenhall, etc) are crap/bums in your eyes.....do you think that is enough to get by Detroit and KC?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vice
So, the Tribe's rotation along with Brantley, Lindor, and Kipnis are enough to win the AL Central. Seeing as how the rest of the team (outfield, Gomes, Uribe, Chisenhall, etc) are crap/bums in your eyes.....do you think that is enough to get by Detroit and KC?
If Detroit is healthy... no... i don't. I think if Detroit stays healthy they are going to win the division easily. I don't expect the Royals to do shit this year.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how many times I have to tell you this iffy... I have the Indians winning it because I don't trust the health of the Tigers.. but if the Tigers stay healthy... they are a better team.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
''I Don't Expect the Royals to Do Shit This Year''.

I've listened to that record before. I think they are now using it as part of a Golden Oldies Tour. I think it is sung by the "DaBums". Good group, four-part harmonies, excellent steel-pedal guitar and solid bottom end. Song sounds a little like 'Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer'!

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've listened to that record before. I think they are now using it as part of a Golden Oldies Tour. I think it is sung by the "DaBums". Good group, four-part harmonies, excellent steel-pedal guitar and solid bottom end. Song sounds a little like 'Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer'!
If you don't like it.. ignore it.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan with the huge win versus Indiana... That shows heart.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan with the huge win versus Indiana... That shows heart.

This is one of those times a Sparty fan was rooting for Ol' Blue. Nice to have the #1 seed in the tournament gone.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how many times I have to tell you this iffy... I have the Indians winning it because I don't trust the health of the Tigers.. but if the Tigers stay healthy... they are a better team.

I know I'm biased, but I agree. The Tigers should have the top BA and OBP in the division again, and unlike last year's weird aberration, they WILL score runs. Their defense is solid. I see one below-average defender (Castellanos) among their starting 8 position players. If the Top 3 starters (JV, Zimmermann, Sanchez) are fully healthy and the bullpen is just middle-of-the-pack, they will contend for the division.

Unfortunately, with five of the team's key players (Miggy, V-mart, Kinsler, Verlander, F-Rod) getting on in years, good health is far from being something we can assume.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm biased, but I agree. The Tigers should have the top BA and OBP in the division again, and unlike last year's weird aberration, they WILL score runs. Their defense is solid. I see one below-average defender (Castellanos) among their starting 8 position players. If the Top 3 starters (JV, Zimmermann, Sanchez) are fully healthy and the bullpen is just middle-of-the-pack, they will contend for the division.

Unfortunately, with five of the team's key players (Miggy, V-mart, Kinsler, Verlander, F-Rod) getting on in years, good health is far from being something we can assume.

Yeah. I don't think scoring runs will be an issue this year, as long as VMART is able to stay healthy. With him in the lineup, it really stretches the lineup out. If Castellanos picks up where he left off at the end, Detroit will be tough offensively.
Pitching is another story. Which Verlander will we see? Can Sanchez return to form? How will Zimmerman deal with a switch from the NL to the AL? Which Rondon will we see? How will the bullpen perform?

One other thing that I was just talking about with a buddy today. How disgusting will the Yankees bullpen be once Chapman is back? They will have 3 of the filthiest bullpen arms, so will be playong 6 inning games each night.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Steven Moya. One of the announcers compared him (batting) to Tony Clark. LOL. If only.....
More likely he'll be a Steve Bilko. Yeah....Iffy knows his Tiger history.
Moya with another Hr today....

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing that I was just talking about with a buddy today. How disgusting will the Yankees bullpen be once Chapman is back? They will have 3 of the filthiest bullpen arms, so will be playong 6 inning games each night.

Yes, it will be like KC's combo of Holland, Davis and Herrera, when all three were healthy.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching is another story. Which Verlander will we see? Can Sanchez return to form? How will Zimmerman deal with a switch from the NL to the AL? Which Rondon will we see? How will the bullpen perform?

Pitching will make or break the Tigers season, for sure. Actually, anything we get out of Rondon is a bonus. The bullpen hinges more on our three acquisitions (F-Rod, Lowe and Wilson) more than him. If F-Rod just puts up numbers similar to last year's, and Lowe/Justin Wilson form a good righty/lefty setup combo, it makes the bullpen WAAAAAYYYY better than the 2015 Tigers had. We had bullpen arms last year that were overused, and guys put in roles they had no business being in. If you can ask Alex Wilson, Blaine Hardy and/or Drew Verhagen to pitch one inning, like the 6th or 7th, I believe they will be successful. Those guys had to throw multiple innings too many times last season. And Alex Wilson was great, except for the few times the Tigers had to use him as a closer. He is NOT a closer.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Iffy told us. Michigan be lucky to get in tourney. Yep another wise post by the iffy. BAWWWHAAAAAS michigan. Down with .2 seconds hit a 3 pointer to advance to big 10 semis. Yep. Wolverines always rise to the challenge

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell us iffy. How choke boy Izzo is a genius. .Michigan will brush little brother to the side. If they get that far. Better have wolverines deep in your brackets this year

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think iffy doesn't factor in HEART . a wolverines have it. Tigers have it. .2 seconds is when you show HEART. this not the Fab 5. But they have HEART.
Iffy. Try to explain that to your BFF from texas.